Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two points for a win?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Boro, Derby, and Hull - who have all lost games - have better goal differences than undefeated us have. Not losing doesn't guarantee that you will have a better goal difference than teams that do lose.

Because there's an implied follow up "Neither side wants a replay - they'd rather settle it today, but, of course, a replay would be preferable to elimination"

And all are below us in the league. Derby by 4 points and Hull by 6. We are where we are because we have this don't get beaten attitude. Hull were top a few weeks ago, and look what a few lost games have done for them.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Miss out doe to goal difference rather than miss out on points? I'm not sure what your point is. I'd rather have more points and a worse goal difference, not that that's likely with the win & lose vs 2 draws scenario.

My point is that we sit top of the league with only draws and wins to our name. Football is not just about winning or losing, it's also about mentality/ confidence. Lose a game and that could turn into two or three games on the trot.. Hull have gone from a few points ahead at the top to 6 points off the top in a few weeks. Saturday was not just about winning, it also showed a never die attitude from the players and that attitude is keeping us in the hunt for automatic promotion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once the USA takes over football, I can see this happening.
They'll be no more tied games, sorry I mean draws.

For this season ice hockey does 3 v 3 overtime in order to guarantee a result.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My point is that we sit top of the league with only draws and wins to our name. Football is not just about winning or losing, it's also about mentality/ confidence. Lose a game and that could turn into two or three games on the trot.
Ok, but that's not what you said. We're going to lose, all teams do, that doesn't mean we need to lose a few on the trot. Middlesbrough lost against cardiff, then won 3 in a row - then they lost 3-0 to Hull, and again have won 3 in a row. So despite 2 losses, they've got more points in those 8 games than us, and I wouldn't say they have low confidence. Also, if they lose their next one they know they've been there before and can bounce back.

Hull have gone from a few points ahead at the top to 6 points off the top in a few weeks.
When were they a few points ahead? I don't remember them being a single point ahead of us.

Saturday was not just about winning, it also showed a never die attitude from the players and that attitude is keeping us in the hunt for automatic promotion.
I agree, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't swap 2 draws for a win and a loss.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Ok, but that's not what you said. We're going to lose, all teams do, that doesn't mean we need to lose a few on the trot. Middlesbrough lost against cardiff, then won 3 in a row - then they lost 3-0 to Hull, and again have won 3 in a row. So despite 2 losses, they've got more points in those 8 games than us, and I wouldn't say they have low confidence. Also, if they lose their next one they know they've been there before and can bounce back.

When were they a few points ahead? I don't remember them being a single point ahead of us.

I agree, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't swap 2 draws for a win and a loss.

So are you saying it's impossible to go a season without losing?

Birmingham are a good example of win/lose
They have played 19 games won 8 lost 7 and drawn 4. They are 13 points behind us. I bet Birmingham would rather have drawn a few more games, then lose them. In fact they would have 35 points if they hadn't lost.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So are you saying it's impossible to go a season without losing?
Given that I know what the word impossible means, no. The odds are big against it though, so I'm sure we'll lose.

Birmingham are a good example of win/lose
They have played 19 games won 8 lost 7 and drawn 4. They are 13 points behind us. I bet Birmingham would rather have drawn a few more games, then lose them.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Of course every team would rather draw than lose, who ever suggested otherwise? The point is that many would rather a win and loss, rather than two draws (it goes without saying we don't get the choice).

I think he means a few points ahead of everyone else except us.
thumbsup2.gif
Generous. I don't think he know what he means.

Don't take it personally Steve, I just disagree with your posts, that's all. No drama.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Given that I know what the word impossible means, no. The odds are big against it though, so I'm sure we'll lose.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Of course every team would rather draw than lose, who ever suggested otherwise? The point is that many would rather a win and loss, rather than two draws (it goes without saying we don't get the choice).

Generous. I don't think he know what he means.

Don't take it personally Steve, I just disagree with your posts, that's all. No drama.

I think you are being obtuse. You quote teams would rather a win and loss then draw. Surely teams would like to win every game.I am glad the players don't think like you. On Saturday I bet most people thought that we were going to lose 8 minutes into the game. And if we had, we would be sitting in 2nd place with Derby a few points away. Sorry but I would have happily taken a draw on Saturday at that point. I don't want to lose any games and if we can't win, then I would want a draw and if that makes me obtuse, then I am more then happy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you are being obtuse. You quote teams would rather a win and loss then draw. Surely teams would like to win every game. I am glad the players don't think like you.
Oh dear. So you're not being deliberately stupid, it's accidental. Of course teams would like to win every game, but that's not the question :facepalm: We're not talking about players here, we're talking about a hypothetical situation for fans. Obviously players don't go into a game wanting to lose as they won the last one and that's the deal :facepalm: It's hypothetical question - given the choice, would you rather we draw our next two games, or win one and lose one.

On Saturday I bet most people thought that we were going to lose 8 minutes into the game. And if we had, we would be sitting in 2nd place with Derby a few points away. Sorry but I would have happily taken a draw on Saturday at that point.
I'm sure a lot of fans would have taken a draw at that point, but that's nothing to do with the win/lose vs draw/draw scenario.

I don't want to lose any games and if we can't win, then I would want a draw
Lol, obviously. You have completely failed to understand what people mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here