Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two players taking the same corner?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sigh....... the exact same effect could be achieved without voluntarily removing one of our players from the field of play - where he serves absolutely no useful purpose

It leaves some space on the pitch to get the ball back to Sanchez a bit quicker, so we can build from the back, properly. It's not a proper goal if its just wham bam.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sigh....... the exact same effect could be achieved without voluntarily removing one of our players from the field of play - where he serves absolutely no useful purpose

...... where he is perfectly placed for a short corner, which has to be guarded against by a defender out of the box. As I said, some people can't or won't .................................

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yup - possibly two things:-

1) As others have pointed out it is bloody obvious which player will be taking the corner anyway; called every one last night. It's fooling nobody.

To be fair looking at a game from the top of the West Stand, however many feet high that is, if very different from looking at it from 6 feet in the air which is the defending teams view

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Not too worried about having 2 players over the kick, what did bother me last night was the fact that every corner was straight at their keeper even after he demonstrated that he could easily deal with them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I guess the world is made up of two kinds of people: those who think it's a stroke of tactical genius to voluntarily reduce your team to ten men at set pieces and those other, less special people :moo:

Two kinds of people indeed - those who think that Pep Guardiola, Graham Potter, Sarri etc. know something about football and those who think that you do.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
It was an absolute mystery to me why Mac Allister didn’t take a single set piece tonight. Gross, March and Trossard’s deliveries were so predictable and easy to defend and from what I’ve seen so far, Mac is better than all of them from dead hall situations anyway. Total waste of time tonight.

One of the reasons I was looking forward to Mac Allister playing was his delivery from set pieces. On his debut (Wolves away) pretty much the first thing he did was to take an excellent and very dangerous looking free kick. Have not been particularly impressed with Gross's free kicks this season.

Why the flying fvck does Mac Allister not at least take a few of them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The annoying thing is that with our aerial presence we might have scored more goals if they'd have just floated the bloody thing towards the penalty spot.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The other thing whilst I'm here is that the whole reason for this strategy is driven by the idea of putting the opposition at a disadvantage. But that disadvantage only materialises if the deliveries are good, the defence stupid, the keeper crap and the attackers know where the goal is...

We don't have any of what we need to pull it off. So we just end up taking Solly/Gross/Mac out of play for the second balls or inevitable counter attacks which have repeatedly come.

Nobody else does it. And nobody else does it for a reason. It's not worth the risk.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No, that was sarcastic.

TBH putting Potter in the same sentence as Sarri and Guardiola is quite funny, so I'll give you that. :clap2:

Is it automatically not patronising if its sarcastic?

Glad you got entertained. Personally I think its entertaining that you are trying to be clever while really being dumb as a rock.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The annoying thing is that with our aerial presence we might have scored more goals if they'd have just floated the bloody thing towards the penalty spot.

It amazes me that giraffes can't get their heads over the ball. If you got points for heading over the bar we'd be in a CL spot.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The other thing whilst I'm here is that the whole reason for this strategy is driven by the idea of putting the opposition at a disadvantage. But that disadvantage only materialises if the deliveries are good, the defence stupid, the keeper crap and the attackers know where the goal is...

We don't have any of what we need to pull it off. So we just end up taking Solly/Gross/Mac out of play for the second balls or inevitable counter attacks which have repeatedly come.

Nobody else does it. And nobody else does it for a reason. It's not worth the risk.

Given that the bloke who painstakingly places the ball ALWAYS takes it, we’re hardly masters of suspicion either

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Given that the bloke who painstakingly places the ball ALWAYS takes it, we’re hardly masters of suspicion either

I was thinking exactly that when the camera panned to Trossard and March. Leo placed the ball and signalled to the players in the box. Whilst Solly waited just off camera.

hmmmmm great subterfuge!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's another way to get a defender out of the box? - please explain.

You've not watched much football then? Allow me to explain. Player trots over towards corner-taker. Pulls defender with him. Corner-taker then has option of short or long corner. At no point does team voluntarily reduce itself to ten men. Simple enough for you? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here