Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Shades of opinion

All sort of people come up with their respective views for whatever reason.

Falmer

Some people maintain that it is a piece of countryside that it is so wonderful has to be in the national interest to plough it so it is an ordinary field by a motorway.

Other people maintain that it is just an average grotty area in need of improvement and it is OK to put a football stadium there because it is not in my back yard, and it is convenient for roads and rails.

What I can't get out of my mind, is that it really is too much of a grotty area to put such a magnificent piece of architecture as a sports stadium in.

This does not mean I object to Falmer. It is just that I can't get as enthusiastic as some people can.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Bwian said:
So why do you keep wittering on about it? I wish you'd disappear up your own backside - then perhaps you'd stop talking out of it. Twat!

The answer to this intriguing question is on Mr Horton's own website.

He has placed an "Andy Personal Pen Picture" on his site that includes the following:

"Education: Self-taught. " That's it for education.

Presumably this means from birth as nothing else is listed. And since you can't teach yourself something you don't already know (since if you already knew it you wouldn't have to teach yourself it), and since you can only teach yourself what you already know (how could you teach yourself something you didn't already know), that means he must still have the education of a newly-born foetus. In Perseus' case this would be limited (more or less) to Number Ones and Number Twos. So he can only talk crap.

Think about it, it makes perfectly logical sense.

(And before anybody else whines on about revealing his personal stuff, it is there to be seen. Type "Andy Horton" in Google, click on the second item it lists and then another click at the bottom of the resulting page, and bingo.)

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You really ought to do somefink about your Avatar, Juan :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
perseus said:
Shades of opinion

All sort of people come up with their respective views for whatever reason.

Yes Andy, but EVERYONE thinks you're a ****.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I hope that is not lost on everybody. Look up the word in your Scottish-English dictionary.

Dreich is a Scottish word that is sometimes used in English and loosely translated it means: "like a lachrymose fish on a slab" :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Surely , the area around the Cement Works is far more an area of outstanding natural beauty with its meandering river, abundant wildlife and flora than a muddy field between a sprawling university campus and 100 meter 6 lane dual carriageway or am I being silly ???

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gareth Glover said:
Surely , the area around the Cement Works is far more an area of outstanding natural beauty with its meandering river, abundant wildlife and flora than a muddy field between a sprawling university campus and 100 meter 6 lane dual carriageway or am I being silly ???

Somebody is being silly suggesting the Cement Works.

Despite the best efforts of English Nature and the South Downs Conservation Board of mucking up the area around the Cement Works, they still have not done as much damage to the authentic downs as ploughing it up. It is a SSSI next to it, which is why English Nature sticks their oar in.

Still it is a bloody great hole in the hill the size of both Universities and Falmer village as well, is really just an eyesore, a dump, full of junk, and vast amounts of asbestos. It is an AONB and contains rare protected species, so rare and protected that they are not even publicised (to avoid the egg collectors).

In a prize for ugliness, I expect the Cement Works has the edge over Falmer, depending on taste.
PS: If you like the West Pier, you might quite like the current Cement Works,: it is not a Listed Building yet :jester: (I am not so sure that this a big a joke as all that: Battersea Power Station got listed.)

It does NOT qualify on any are of the criteria laid out by Prescott. It must be a red herring. It was owned by Hargreaves last time I heard.

No NIMBYs unless you count the residents of Dacre Gardens* and the landlord of the Rising Sun.

(* An estate agent advertised the property as right next to the area of an exciting new development.)

Someone might care to argue that AONBs are not always what they are cracked up to be. It is not worth it. It is an arbitary line drawn up by the Local Authorities in the 1960s when the Cement Works was still operating. (So this means the supporters should have had the foresight and complained about the Falmer AONB boundary back then, when we were in the Third Divsion playing before gates of just 11,000.)

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cement works will remain there forever as an eye sore - fortunately looks worse from the air.

It was rumoured to be sold once to a company called Singleton Birch as a going concern and then infamously developed as the National Winter Sports Centre (in one of the warmer parts of the UK).

Neither happened, just useful for the coach company opposite

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
One question, maybe Bracknell can answer?

Upper Beading Cement Works and Shoreham airport are outside the Brighton and Hove border and are too costly to redevelop. So they fail both criteria set up by the JP right?

So surely they can be dismissed right away? Why will this cost time and money to pursue?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think the planning inquiry will take any notice of the cost of development of any site.

That is what the NIMBYS are banking on, that we cannot afford what is decided on.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Biscuit said:
One question, maybe Bracknell can answer?

Upper Beading Cement Works and Shoreham airport are outside the Brighton and Hove border and are too costly to redevelop. So they fail both criteria set up by the JP right?

So surely they can be dismissed right away? Why will this cost time and money to pursue?

depends what mood the Inspector is in, is my guess!
Thing is BHA have to prove they are both "too far from Brighton" & "far too costly and much more so than Falmer" and that will cost money to pursue and setup. Cement works should be a breeze but Pende will be the time wasting one as its not that bad a site but does fail in alot of areas.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The reason for the extra cost is that both sites will now have to be considered on all the grounds listed in the ODPM's letter by BHAFC. Falmer do not have to show that they work. This means that each has to be considered by consultants in planning, landscape, environment, land purchase, traffic, safety, aviation law, rail construction etc etc. It then has to be assessed by the solicitors and a case prepared and argued by the barrister. The Club will not be allowed to say "ah they don't work" even though that is fairly obvious to all but Falmer plus one.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Colbourne Kid said:
The reason for the extra cost is that both sites will now have to be considered on all the grounds listed in the ODPM's letter by BHAFC. Falmer do not have to show that they work. This means that each has to be considered by consultants in planning, landscape, environment, land purchase, traffic, safety, aviation law, rail construction etc etc. It then has to be assessed by the solicitors and a case prepared and argued by the barrister. The Club will not be allowed to say "ah they don't work" even though that is fairly obvious to all but Falmer plus one.

surely FPC/LDC whoever also have to fund their own investigation into these sites to Prove they are more viable than Falmer though?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
CrabtreeBHA said:
surely FPC/LDC whoever also have to fund their own investigation into these sites to Prove they are more viable than Falmer though?

Thats were tax payers money comes in.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yorkie said:
I don't think the planning inquiry will take any notice of the cost of development of any site.

That is what the NIMBYS are banking on, that we cannot afford what is decided on.

Not true Yorkie.
Criteria number 4 is:
(iv) Can a stadium be built without incurring unaffordable development costs on the site?

So if development costs are too high in comparison to Falmer then it's out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here