Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two hours at the Academy

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Took my son before Xmas, could not get over the scale of things - Massive. I, with hairs raised on the back of my neck and as proud as a Peacock as I collected junior, him saying casually,"yerhhh... played against the East Sussex boys in the dome today (indoor pitch) .....it was fun". If only he new how lucky he is to experience such things.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
....did you mention the condition of the toilet floors in the East Upper? ???

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I recently went to the training ground as my sons football team was invited to play in a tournament there and was impressed to see Paul Barber making time to come and watch the majority of the tournament while I'm sure he would have other things on his plate at the time ( it was the day before Hughton was appointed). And it was the morning after the Fulham away game yet he was still there at 9am watching under 11 football.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Lickers ONLY get the INVITES

You could always email Mr Barber nicely.
He may offer you an invite.
You could then invite all the players into your ARS.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
I have just spent two hours at the training academy with Paul Barber.

Let me tell you how this meeting came about. Before Christmas, after a post on NSC in support of the removal of Sami Hyypia, I decided to email Paul Barber direct: After all, no point in complaining on social media and not making one’s feelings known to the club.

He replied to my email within minutes. What ensued was an email exchange over the next 48 hours with a frank, but friendly discussion over what the Albion could or could not be doing for the better. All this ended with an offer to visit the training academy in the New Year. Well, I couldn’t turn the offer down could I?

So, this morning I arrived at the academy at 11.00am expecting a short meeting and a coffee. Instead, I was afforded a couple of hours during which I had the chance to hear quite a lot of what Mr Barber feels about the Albion, and during which time I was able to share my personal views on the need for more transparency, more fan involvement and the need to remember our past whilst looking to the future.

Behind the scenes, the Albion have a philosophy, something we don’t see. It centres on exceeding expectations; aiming high; treating people well and making things special. If you are ever lucky enough to go to the training academy, then you’ll see this in buckets. From the second I was greeted by the receptionist to the moment I left, every person I saw about the place exudes a positive attitude. The first team look very at home in their surroundings and everyone mixes in a relaxed and harmonious environment. There’s a culture about the place that feels relaxed, confident and professional. And it feels like this all comes from the leadership style that both Tony Bloom and Paul Barber must have played an instrumental role in putting in place.

And, I have to report that the pantomime villain of the piece is far from Mr Nasty. Confident, yes. Engaging, yes. Frank, open and honest, yes. But, he also admits to mistakes – yes we have to do better with the new ticketing system; yes we can involve fans even more and we will. This is a CEO that genuinely loves what he does, and genuinely wants the best for the Albion. He may be a Spur, but it’s clear that a big part of him is blue and white too. He was incredibly open; about why he took the job, about his relationship with previous managers; about the ‘fall guy’ image he has with fans. We discussed the whole ‘customer’ language, and I can tell you now, we’re fans first and foremost, but that doesn’t mean a club should strive to offer first class customer service.

I haven’t changed my mind on some of the issues I originally raised in my first email exchange with Mr Barber, and it is up to us as fans to express how we feel directly to the club (rather than just sound off about them on social media), but I’m left with a sense that we have a CEO that will listen. Obviously he can’t say yes to every idea – you set a strategy and you follow it – but I could see that the strength of his leadership comes from how he listens to people and takes on board feedback. The more constructive feedback he gets, the more it helps improve the club in the future.

As for the visit, I could go on and on about the attention to detail when it comes to the under 11’s, under 12’s, under 13’s etc; I could talk about the coaching facilities they have and how they store and use data; I could talk about the Bang & Olufsen relaxation area where players can kick back or watch videos of their previous performances on banks of PC terminals; I’ve seen the running hills; I’ve seen the finger print recognition that gives you access to key areas; I’ve seen the design of the catering areas that nicely separates development squad from first team squad - it almost acts as an incentive for breakthrough players to want to make the leap from B to A.

I believe I saw the future of our club this morning, and I think it is in very good hands.

And, I’ll be honest. I had to stop myself from being the kid in a sweetshop. There was a part of me walking round like a star struck youngster, but I think I hid it well. I saw Inigo Calderon for God’s sake!

Favourite post of the year so far!

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
We all knew or at least expect the training ground to be marvellous, it is Category One status after all. Where's the substance though? What were the issues raised and what views of yours did he disagree with?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
One can never know if you are serious or not...but taking that you are then you only have to read the post to see that the guy isn't a 'licker'
I find if you can't be sure then it's best just to ignore. (Rhyming is easy, and fun!)

Regardless; great post, nice to hear that everything seems to be running smoothly behind the scenes. Couple of years and we'll be churning out the talent...happy days!

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
Having been to the academy a few times with junior sharpey, it is a truly amazing place where every single coach, scout or other member of staff seem very happy in their surroundings. I for one am looking forward to the next ten years of youngsters coming through it is going to be magic for sure.. How i'd love to turn up there everyday to do my job.. simply thanks for all that have taken our club to the next level

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
i bet Barber got about 500 emails this evening

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
It's surreal being within the training complex and trying to comprehend you are just off the Mash Barn estate and in Lancing. It's like a footballing paradise in there, if you get the chance to go make sure you take it.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I keep hearing this were in good hands etc, and then I look at the first team squad that was assembled in the summer.

I agree in so much that I loved the days out at the Fulham, Brentford and Charlton games but anyone thinking we were great and out of the woods is very much mistaken.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I wish I had the time to answer my e mails within 10 minutes and then carry on having banter for 48hours.
I usually have to work hard and do that sort of thing in the evening.
Seriously though it sounds great.
Are we giving the Arsenal fans and players a guided tour before the big match?
Just to show some respect.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Very jealous, would love a look around the training ground

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I wish I had the time to answer my e mails within 10 minutes and then carry on having banter for 48hours.
I usually have to work hard and do that sort of thing in the evening.
Seriously though it sounds great.
Are we giving the Arsenal fans and players a guided tour before the big match?
Just to show some respect.

As Barber is a Spurs fan I suspect not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here