Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter boycott

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm not going to Boycott Twitter, I prefer to listen to him on TMS

funnily enough he got nicked for beating Margaret.

I use the word 'funnily' as in NOT funnily

anyway he got cancer and got better and Paul Collingwood had more honours than him

just saying :(

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All this is more free advertising for twitter. Its amazing how these social networking sites are continually discussed and plugged in the mass media, no other communication medium get this privilege. Maybe they should start plugging NSC on BBC south..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I basically used twitter to keep up with football news
and I object to people threatening to rape and bomb women because they have a different view to others

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm not going to Boycott Twitter, I prefer to listen to him on TMS

To 'Boycott' Twitter would surely involve refusing to marry her, then punch her repeatedly in the face?!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm more concerned with the rampant mis-use of 'trolling' in the news.

Trolling is just fishing, it's done simply to wind people up and rarely involves actual malice. In fact, done well it can be really quite funny (even to those being trolled).

Rape/death threats obviously don't fall into this category and can unfortunately appear whenever an emotionally stunted adult/teenager is given a computer. Sadly, I know people of this ilk and they usually call it 'banter', which is worrying.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I basically used twitter to keep up with football news
and I object to people threatening to rape and bomb women because they have a different view to others

I'm all for punishing idiots but there must be others ways combat this rather than add buttons? There'll be buttons all over the place soon.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Why are you following people who make these threats?

I am not following anyone just joining the boycott until Twitter do something about the threats to women

do you not watch the news

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I once saw some graffitti on a wall stating "Rape them ALL". You should see the fuss my wall boycott caused, let alone my half hour protest outside Robert Dyass paint dept.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am not following anyone just joining the boycott until Twitter do something about the threats to women

do you not watch the news

But what exactly can Twitter do to stop people threatening women ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
But what exactly can Twitter do to stop people threatening women ?

I really don't know but until they can stop it I won't be there
they are bigger and have a bigger voice where it matters
some would think its OK to say these things to women or anyone because they think they are anonymous when in actual fact they are not it only takes someone to bother to find out who they are
and Twitter I am sure if they got off their backsides could find out who they are
what if someone done this to one of your family, would you not want something done about it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't know but until they can stop it I won't be there
they are bigger and have a bigger voice where it matters
some would think its OK to say these things to women or anyone because they think they are anonymous when in actual fact they are not it only takes someone to bother to find out who they are
and Twitter I am sure if they got off their backsides could find out who they are
what if someone done this to one of your family, would you not want something done about it

Of course, but you're talking about controlling the internet - its impossible. If some social inadequate wakes up one day and decides he wants to tell Katherine Jenkins that he's going to stuff an unpeeled pineapple up her khyber on Wednesday, then what can Twitter do to prevent that ? I suppose he can be tracked down, told off, and have his account closed. But chances are he'll just open up another one and start sending Sandy Toksvig vague threats about giving her sister a slap, or something.

Its got to be a case of ignoring the threats, taking them for the bilge that they are, or just getting the hell out of Dodge.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Of course, but you're talking about controlling the internet - its impossible. If some social inadequate wakes up one day and decides he wants to tell Katherine Jenkins that he's going to stuff an unpeeled pineapple up her khyber on Wednesday, then what can Twitter do to prevent that ? I suppose he can be tracked down, told off, and have his account closed. But chances are he'll just open up another one and start sending Sandy Toksvig vague threats about giving her sister a slap, or something.

Its got to be a case of ignoring the threats, taking them for the bilge that they are, or just getting the hell out of Dodge.

this could of coarse be the answer, for people like myself who rarely use the bloody thing, but there are those who use it all the time, sad I know but there it is
maybe if they decide to do nothing (the path of least resistance) then I will close the account

http://twitpic.com/d6nllw

This is the kind of bullshit that women writers/campaigners have to put up with constantly. They have to waste half a day phoning it into police and giving statements etc

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
http://twitpic.com/d6nllw

This is the kind of bullshit that women writers/campaigners have to put up with constantly. They have to waste half a day phoning it into police and giving statements etc

good you put that on London Irish as I think some on here thought is was some kind of joke, I suppose it is until it happens to someone in your own family

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I tweeted my wife the other day to get the tea on pronto. When I got home, nothing, nadda, zip, zilch.

What are those pencil pushing morons at Twitter going to do about that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here