Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitchers - Your favourite UK bird.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Any native bird of prey really, seen most of our UK species now, only missing a Goshawk and a Sparrowhawk.
I have seen a sparrowhawk in my garden 3 times in the last 6 months. Not the most intelligent of birds, it sits on top of the Bird feeders in the middle of the garden trying to figure out why there are no small birds around

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The Heron. A good watch as a fisher, and frogger.

Skylarks are brilliant, a nice sound on any country stroll - love the Linnet trill too, as they grip tiny twigs at the top of a bush, or sit on a wire.

Song thrushes have declined terribly, and blackbirds too.
I blame the magpies - they have really increased, and they'll eat eggs or chicks of other birds. Magpies ought to be on our menu - I bet they taste alright casseroled

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have seen a sparrowhawk in my garden 3 times in the last 6 months. Not the most intelligent of birds, it sits on top of the Bird feeders in the middle of the garden trying to figure out why there are no small birds around

I have to agree, heard plenty of reports of them flying into patio windows too trying to get to pets that are indoors:lolol::lolol:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
See these in my garden most days:- Nuthatch

NuthatchSittaeuropaea.jpg

Sometimes see one of these on my journey to work:- Little Egret

Little%20Egret%203%20Vange%20130405.jpg

The Heron. A good watch as a fisher, and frogger.

Skylarks are brilliant, a nice sound on any country stroll - love the Linnet trill too, as they grip tiny twigs at the top of a bush, or sit on a wire.

Song thrushes have declined terribly, and blackbirds too.
I blame the magpies - they have really increased, and they'll eat eggs or chicks of other birds. Magpies ought to be on our menu - I bet they taste alright casseroled
I don't know about magpies, but I can confirm that thrushes are, indeed, delicious - although you have to be prepared to chew the bones.

I have to agree, heard plenty of reports of them flying into patio windows too trying to get to pets that are indoors:lolol::lolol:

I bet the patio doors they do hit have a window by the side of them, I have read reports of this and what the Sparrowhawk is doing is trying to cut the corner not realising that the corner is in fact glass.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Don't forget this little dude.....

Seen plenty of these flash past when I fished at Barcombe Mills when I was a kid.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
There's not many birds of vibrant colours among the British native birds. Why would this occur? Is is influnenced simply by the climate?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That bird who is married to Peter crouch!

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
A couple of years ago, I saw someone a bit odd in Balham looking very disoriented.

A largish light brown bird, smaller than a pigeon but rounder with blue flecks on the wings.

What was that ?

Looked like something more comfortable in a wood rather than an inner city.

Sounds like a Jay- see 1st pic on this thread.
I love'em all, but favourites are Kingfisher and Red Kite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here