Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] TV this month

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
No mention of Catastrophe and The Detectorists? Both are incredible in completely different ways, but having the two new series at the same time feels like we're being spoiled.

After listening to Mackenzie on Danny Baker I decided to give The Detectorists a go. Just done Series 1.......blooming brilliant.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did anyone else catch 'You, Me, and the Apocalypse' on Sky 1? Very amusing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After listening to Mackenzie on Danny Baker I decided to give The Detectorists a go. Just done Series 1.......blooming brilliant.
Series 2 doesn't skip a beat.
There's a thread on here about the show, but it's probably not worth looking up as its just too few people saying how brilliant it is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did anyone else catch 'You, Me, and the Apocalypse' on Sky 1? Very amusing
Other than the 'best friend' I'm struggling to find the laughs.
Although admittedly he is pretty funny.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I now want to be an honourary Dirt Shark. :lol:

"you're as thick as 2 short plonks"
"planks"
"you're welcome".

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
London Spy, Monday, BBC2, at 9 pm, wasn't bad...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
London Spy, Monday, BBC2, at 9 pm, wasn't bad...
I missed all the trailers etc for this.
Only when the link person on BBC1 said 'just staring on BBC2 ... new drama ... Ben Whishaw & Jim Broadbent ...', did I quickly turn over and set the video.

They could have said:-

'over on BBC2 now Jim Broadbent will be reading the back of a sugar puffs box',

and I would have reacted the same, so I have high hopes for this.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Sweet. Watched the second (I think) episode yesterday. I haven't thought it was as good as season 1 yet, but it's early days. Amazing that it's all a true story

Yep, liking that too.

Also enjoying The Americans.

I was chastised on the Obscure tv thread for mentioning the 'True Story' bit about Fargo, it seems that it's not true at all, I don't know why they say so at the beginning of each episode as it's good enough anyway. I just watched episode 5 and it was a real corker.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I now want to be an honourary Dirt Shark. :lol:

"you're as thick as 2 short plonks"
"planks"
"you're welcome".

hehe
I chuckled to that one when watching it, and had to then explain why I was laughing that much to my Spanish girlfriend. Was rather difficult to do. She didn't ruin the enjoyment of it that I felt though.
:)

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh you bloody hero. Didn't even know this existed. Over to Sky Go I go!!

Me neither. Was a must-watch for the whole family when I was a kid. Will be checking this out. Any sign of Statler and Waldorf ?

Enjoying The Hunt.......fantastic sequences this week with the polar bear and the seal, the wolves hunting hares and the cliff-climbing polar bear.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's war on waste is quite a good watch too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All these additional programmes lend support to my notion that this is possibly the best period in TV history. Not coincidentally, we're also going through one of our worst periods for Hollywood films, with endless remakes of the same premise. The talent has obviously moved to television

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolute rubbish with a few glimmers of decent telly. No Bouquet of Barbed Wire, no Callan, and where has The Onedin Line gone ?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Not really read this thread thoroughly but if you watch the peep show then you are a very sad person. Just saying

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has there ever been a better month for television than this one? I know that's a bold statement but I'm struggling to think of a time when there were so many top quality programmes on at once.

This was prompted by the thread on Unforgotten, which is one of the best British cop dramas I've seen. Clashing with Unforgotten is the excellent The Last Kingdom, stirring historical drama with a sense of humour.

We also have the completely brilliant Fargo (the second series is even better than the first), the compelling River - which is inevitably compared to Unforgotten as they both have Nicola Walker in it. It's not as good as Unforgotten but in most other weeks would be a highlight. We have a new series of Homeland, which is better than the previous one, and The Returned, a bit scarier than the previous series but perhaps not quite so thought-provoking.

Fans of Scandinavian noir have Arne Dahl to keep them happy - not as good as Wallender or The Killing perhaps but superior stuff. And we have The Bridge coming back this week.

I know people talk about the golden age of television but they remember shows that were a week's highlight - there were never this many excellent programmes on at the same time. The only thing that's missing is a decent sitcom - we seem to have lost the ability to write those but there's so much

Am I the only one that has only heard of one of those - The Bridge (and I've not actually seen it).

So is Unforgotten new or already been on and I've missed it? Or have I missed previous series(es) and a new one is about to start?
The Last Kingdom likewise - how much have I missed?

In fact apply all those questions to all the things you've listed please!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here