Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
is this the series that was on in the 60's
if so ...............yes it was absolutely great
also there was one called? war in the air about the same time

No, that was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Our_Yesterdays_(TV_series)

I watched it in the 60s. The episodes about Belsen were what pushed me into anti-facism when I got older. The scenes of emaciated bodies being buldozered into charnel pits is truly shocking, especially when you are 8 years old. Sometimes I am surprised that Germany hasn't yet contemplated a 'final solution' to current terrorism. Internment, then extermination (for reasons of cost). Perhaps they have insight. The many Germans I know flinch at any prospect of the old ways. That's why I worry about the present situation vis a vis the ISIL-inspired madness. Those who don't note history are condemned to repeat it :nono:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
One episode i found so watchable was where Traudl Junge spoke in broken English in what appeared to be unscripted comments of life in the Bunker in the final months and weeks it was if the camara was just rolling and she just spoke. Remarkable production. No21,Nemesis.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Totally agree that it is the best documentary series ever made. I have the dvd boxed set, but will still watch if a repeat is on tv. And to think that all 24 (?) episodes were broadcast on prime time tv at a time when there were only 3 channels. How times change.

Yes they were, as I watched them all avidly at the time, the narration by Olivier Is brilliantly understated.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Always remember Olivier speaking such moving lines at the end of the pacific war episode. Showed the Japanese getting ready to defend the homeland with sticks as he delivered lines about the end coming from the sky and being mushroom shaped. Chilling but brilliant!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Olivier certainly made the programmes with his brilliant delivery of the dialog.

Probably the most powerful series I have watched...the ones about the concentration camp repatriations was one of the most harrowing pieces of TV ever....the guards at Belsen dressed in prisoners clothes to try and blend in...****ing disgusting!

I am a great fan of mary beard's Roman documentaries too. She doesn't hold back in telling it as it was that the Romans were a horrible people.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The episode when France was defeated, and the troops marching in Paris with the german music in the background.

It was a vision of the EU in 2016 before BREXIT.I wont say any more, as there has been many threads discussing the referendum.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Hmm. It doesn't even bother to address the emotional and psychological perils of time travel. I'll think you'll find Quantum Leap covers all bases.

You are right. I have just teleported myself back to 1970 for an urgent editorial meeting with Jeremy Isaacs and this will now be addressed in part 13.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The Oradour-Sur-Glane episode upset me a great deal and was very moving. How the inhabitants of a small town can be massacred on the whim of one Nazi sadist was down to pure bad luck/fate....whatever you want to call it.

That one episode alone is well worth watching, but the whole series is brilliant.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
That's something that they should both have been very proud of. In what capacities?

They were both sound technicians, the guys with the big furry microphones so they were involved in the interviews used in the series. When my Dad was around not a tv programme went by without out him critiquing the sound. Now he's in his 70's and half deaf ( though he won't admit it) all he watches is the news at volumes that make the window panes vibrate.

My dad did some interesting stuff working for Thames. He met Ghaddifi ( he farted a lot and was surrounded by female "guards"). Fled South Africa with hidden footage during apartheid, I assume he's allowed back now but he was blacklisted. Got caught between republicans demonstrating and the army in Northern Ireland, whilest the two sides fought with bottles stones tear gas and rubber bullets. He was in East Berlin when the wall came down. Oh and he worked a lot on wish you were here with Judith Chalmers, with whom he was very friendly ( my sister thinks they had an affair, but there isn't any actual evidence)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
They were both sound technicians, the guys with the big furry microphones so they were involved in the interviews used in the series. When my Dad was around not a tv programme went by without out him critiquing the sound. Now he's in his 70's and half deaf ( though he won't admit it) all he watches is the news at volumes that make the window panes vibrate.

My dad did some interesting stuff working for Thames. He met Ghaddifi ( he farted a lot and was surrounded by female "guards"). Fled South Africa with hidden footage during apartheid, I assume he's allowed back now but he was blacklisted. Got caught between republicans demonstrating and the army in Northern Ireland, whilest the two sides fought with bottles stones tear gas and rubber bullets. He was in East Berlin when the wall came down. Oh and he worked a lot on wish you were here with Judith Chalmers, with whom he was very friendly ( my sister thinks they had an affair, but there isn't any actual evidence)

That's some life! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here