Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] TV fixtures for December

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
No chance, fully expect local buses to stop running around 6pm as they usually do on Boxing Day,

Last time there was a evening match on Boxing Day - there was multiple special transport options (park and ride, trains, coaches, buses) between Brighton and London and Lewes and Rest of Sussex to get people there. Which they did and it passed off without incident.

There will be this time as usual or the fixture wouldn’t have been agreed with the police or the 2 clubs.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
d94d0f1f8051e18aae5526eb9b03a902.jpg

It does feel like more are getting moved around for TV these days, in comparison to the pre-covid days. Maybe just seems like that [emoji2369]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Price we pay for being in the EPL.

Public transport is always a bugger on boxing day. Seagull Travel will surely be making bumper profits!!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I reckon we’ve only had 1 home game so far this season that hasn’t been moved for either TV or our opponents having European football. The next game scheduled for Saturday at 3pm is the Palace game in January and there is next to no chance of that going ahead at that time. Then it’s Burnley in middle of Feb. It’s almost worth planning to do stuff on a Saturday afternoon now when we are at home as you won’t have to worry about missing the football.

Part and parcel of being top 4 innit

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Price we pay for being in the EPL.

Public transport is always a bugger on boxing day. Seagull Travel will surely be making bumper profits!!!

If they can source enough quality/reliable buses/coaches! They struggled for the Arsenal game when there were other transport issues on the day.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I think they can show a 3pm game on Boxing Day as it's not a Saturday. Surely someone has picked up City v Leicester?

It's a disappointing kick off time, I wouldn't be going in any case but I wouldn't get back to Lyme until well after midnight and we've got Polly and Giles coming over. WIll still be an audience in excess of 30,000 though I think.

Dirty Barry must be busy?

el punal

Last time there was a evening match on Boxing Day - there was multiple special transport options (park and ride, trains, coaches, buses) between Brighton and London and Lewes and Rest of Sussex to get people there. Which they did and it passed off without incident.

There will be this time as usual or the fixture wouldn’t have been agreed with the police or the 2 clubs.

If you’re talking about the Arsenal fixture of Boxing Day 2018 the kick off was 5.15 which meant the game ending at around 7.00ish. That’s a lot more acceptable than an 8.00 kick off and the match ending at around 10.00. I foresee big problems in trying to transport up to 30,000 fans to wherever they have to be late on a Sunday Boxing Day. This is going to be a logistical nightmare for the club - I hope they have a magic wand.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You have now said this on two threads, it was 5:15 and that is a bad time for a kick-off but it's not evening (at the start) and also not nearly as problematic for people as 8pm.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Stop whinging you bunch of old whinging people…… It’s the Premier League…… It’s the price we pay….. it’s worth it at the moment. It’s not about the travelling fans ffs.

Well thanks very much for your kind thoughts.

On behalf of all those Albion STH who travel to every game they attend whether it is home or away.........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
You have now said this on two threads, it was 5:15 and that is a bad time for a kick-off but it's not evening (at the start) and also not nearly as problematic for people as 8pm.

I agree. 3pm is better for many. But the implication that it will be impossible to get there (and back) or that there will be no public transport or transport laid on by the clubs etc is claimed by people with very short memories. Whether at 5.15pm or 8pm - it’s the same operation.

Of course if the clubs sit on their hands and do nothing feel free to bounce this thread !

el punal

Stop whinging you bunch of old whinging people…… It’s the Premier League…… It’s the price we pay….. it’s worth it at the moment. It’s not about the travelling fans ffs.

Any chance you could pick me up and drive me home on Sunday 26th December? I’ll cough up some petrol money and buy you a pint as a thank you. Cheers! :thumbsup:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But the implication that it will be impossible to get there (and back) or that there will be no public transport or transport laid on by the clubs etc is claimed by people with very short memories. Whether at 5.15pm or 8pm - it’s the same operation

It rather depends on where you live, don't you think? You seem to have forgotten lots of fans dont live locally. Getting home after 10pm on Boxing Day by public transport will be impossible for many..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It rather depends on where you live, don't you think? You seem to have forgotten lots of fans dont live locally. Getting home after 10pm on Boxing Day by public transport will be impossible for many..

Agreed I’ve said in other answers that if you intended to travel on trains to the Amex from outside London for example - and back that night. Then of course that won’t be possible . But then that will have been known when the game was scheduled on a Boxing Day back in June.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
We have had multiple games on Boxing Day at the Amex now including v Arsenal at 5.15pm a few years back.
The club spent ££ and laid on free coaches from Lewes to Falmer and elsewhere, arranged extra park and rides and there were bespoke trains from London to Brighton and back for the Arsenal fans (most of whom live in Brighton anyway). It wasn’t chaos or carnage and the ground wasn’t empty. Even Jurgen Locadia scored. Truly a Xmas miracle.
Sorry to quote post you again, but when you say 'multiple' you mean two.

There's only been 2 x Boxing Day fixtures at The Amex since it opened. Reading in the Championship and Arsenal in the Premier League.

Neither have kicked off at 8pm. In fact I wonder how many games at The Amex have kicked off at not 745, but 8pm. It's a pig of ground to get away from at night when there's multiple trains running, let alone when relying on an emergency bus operation.

The ground won't be 'empty' because for many the Boxing Day fixture is a must do, and we do have some fans in Brighton lucky enough to have an easy commute to the ground. But when you consider how many vacant seats there have been at games so far, an unattractive kick off time is definitely going to put a lot of people off, you can tell that from the hundreds of posts on here, Facebook and Twitter saying so. It is not controversial to say it's a total pain in the arse for many supporters.

As has been said, the sums must work for this to make it viable for the club, because the additional bus drivers prepared to work until midnight on Boxing Day won't come cheap. I expect the catering could be fun too, we've already had one apology from Barbs about short staffing because of a lack of students and that was in August. Maybe the reduced crowd will help them out there...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't wait to hear what the Sky commentary team say about reason for so many empty seats at this fixture

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Feel for Seagull Travel snd those that travel with them too. They have been moving heaven and earth to source and staff buses for games this season at a time when there is a national shortage of bus drivers - many are leaving to double their wages driving HGVs. What prospect them or their bus and coach suppliers finding drivers to work 5-11pm on Boxing Day?!?

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Feel for Seagull Travel snd those that travel with them too. They have been moving heaven and earth to source and staff buses for games this season at a time when there is a national shortage of bus drivers - many are leaving to double their wages driving HGVs. What prospect them or their bus and coach suppliers finding drivers to work 5-11pm on Boxing Day?!?

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Good point.
I also think many bus and coach drivers may want to see their families at Christmas, even more so after last Christmas being in lockdown.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here