Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkish Fans & minutes Silence in Instanbal

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just putting it out there, maybe it was this ???

View attachment 70065

they might just have heard a fresh rumour about minor characters in the new Star Wars film Ackbar_HS.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Let's not get too high on our horses here. It wasn't too long ago that English fans also couldn't be trusted with a minutes silence so we had the ridiculous minutes applause instead.

I'm not condoning what went on. More not wanting to not judge a nation by it's idiotic football supporters.

Yes, lets not get on our high horses, just be that shade inconsistent. Don't judge Turkey by a minority, but please judge football supporters in England by a minority.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Incredible - some people judging an entire nation by the actions of their football fans. I suppose we're fortunate that others didn't do that with us in the past.

Football culture in many other countries is often one that they go out of their way to intimidate, upset and offend - booing or even failing to show respect during moments of commemoration is of course deplorable, but it is also completely unsurprising within these hostile football cultures.

I personally find it almost as deplorable how people will find any excuse to condemn an entire nation of people - sign of the times I suppose.

We'll that's a fvcking surprise isn't?
You seem to enjoy coming on this site and telling all of us how we should all think about race issues and bore us with your 2 pence worth. Obviously been keeping an eye out for an I'm offended bandwagon to jump on haven't we that in some way will try and allow you to take the moral high ground over issues involving Islam!!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I question if you are even that much of a Brighton fan and think you look at this site to pipe up and spout some argument with the intent of causing politically correct argument at every possible opportunity!

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but I assume this was the Turkey v Greece game and was a minute's silence for the Paris dead?

I don't recall any minute silences in western Europe for the 100+ who were killed in the Istanbul explosion.

And it was Turkey v Greece!

However it is a shame there isn't more respect shown - in football and in life.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but I assume this was the Turkey v Greece game and was a minute's silence for the Paris dead?

I don't recall any minute silences in western Europe for the 100+ who were killed in the Istanbul explosion.

Good point , and also the 224 people murdered on the Russian airplane . We should of respected these two as much as the Paris killings , why different they are all part of Europe .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

You are quite right in that it does seem inconsistent and to what extent do we have silences may well be asked. However, had we been playing Turkey soon after the bombing there, and they requested a silence at Wembley, then I dare say that it would have been observed impeccably out of respect to them and their suffering, even though the outrage was perpetrated nowhere near here or indeed western Europe. As you say, one would have hoped for rather more respect.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think the difference between the deaths in Paris and those in Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey and Nigeria (the list goes on) is that the attacks in Paris included the football stadium. If the bombers had got into the stadium, as they presumably planned, the death toll from the bombs and the probable stampede could have been huge. Wasn't a relative of one of the players killed too?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I think the difference between the deaths in Paris and those in Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey and Nigeria (the list goes on) is that the attacks in Paris included the football stadium. If the bombers had got into the stadium, as they presumably planned, the death toll from the bombs and the probable stampede could have been huge. Wasn't a relative of one of the players killed too?

They are all human lives though but i understand what you are saying . They did plan to explode a bomb in the stadium but a regular steward on the night blocked them from coming in , they showed the bomb went off outside (not sure what type of bomb) and the bearings from the bomb dented the advertising boards all over the place . Would not be worth thinking about if it happened in the stadium .

It was the French guys cousin , the one who came on against England i think , he said she was like a sister to him , really sad the whole episode .

I see the guy that organised the whole tragic episode DID get killed the other day .

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here