[Food] Turkeys for Christmas

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Butchers Hook Heathfield

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Bit disappointed we haven't had the usual contribution yet along the lines of;

I hate Turkey it is too dry I always have something else for Christmas (translated as I once bought a 20lb frozen turkey in Iceland for £6.50 and it was a bit crap, when I overcooked it.

It can be dry, but earlier on in the year I was watching a programme about the Ritz Hotel, the head chef said that when they have Turkey at Christmas for the guests he did something during the cooking process to make it very moist and much tastier.
Trouble is I cant remember what it was.
I will have to do some research maybe on ITV Player and see if I can find it as it was a brilliant tip.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Hutchings in Partridge Green. Be prepared for a long day out in Partridge Green when you pick it up though.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Buy my turkey at sekers in Richardson road hove, but the butchers by sawyers estate agents near grand avenue in hove is also very good. My stuffing is expensive chestnuts stuffed into the bird, preferably Italian chestnuts. You need 6 pounds of chestnuts so not cheap but tastes a million miles better than that nasty sage and onion stuffing.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Buy my turkey at sekers in Richardson road hove, but the butchers by sawyers estate agents near grand avenue in hove is also very good. My stuffing is expensive chestnuts stuffed into the bird, preferably Italian chestnuts. You need 6 pounds of chestnuts so not cheap but tastes a million miles better than that nasty sage and onion stuffing.
The efforts we have to go to make Turkey taste half decent,

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not a fan of turkey, however I love lamb and so treat myself to a decent sized leg and cook an Indian style roast lamb in the BBQ oven outside.
It is cooked to my Gran's recipe, she was Indian and it is fantabulous.
Last year I saved a bit and gave it to my local cafe owner, who is Indian and he keeps on at me for the recipe.
We also have a smoked ham which is roasted at the same time as the lamb.
A foil wrapped whole snapper is BBQ oven roasted for the veggies amongst us.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I like sage and onion stuffing, but not all soggy out of the bird.
I mix it up and put it about an inch thick in a baking dish and roast in bbq oven, the top is crunchy whilst the inside is still moist, hmmm.
Most cooking in the summer here is done on the bbq or in the bbq oven, don't need to make the house inside any warmer than it is !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It can be dry, but earlier on in the year I was watching a programme about the Ritz Hotel, the head chef said that when they have Turkey at Christmas for the guests he did something during the cooking process to make it very moist and much tastier.
Trouble is I cant remember what it was.
I will have to do some research maybe on ITV Player and see if I can find it as it was a brilliant tip.

Found it but I'm on my mobile and I can only find it on Facebook at the moment not looked at you tube, so unable to post it.
If you Google John Williams Ritz Hotel Christmas turkey you will find it.
I would much rather take advice from the fantastic Michelin starred Williams than a fat toungued failed Essex boy restauranteur.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Found it but I'm on my mobile and I can only find it on Facebook at the moment not looked at you tube, so unable to post it.
If you Google John Williams Ritz Hotel Christmas turkey you will find it.
I would much rather take advice from the fantastic Michelin starred Williams than a fat toungued failed Essex boy restauranteur.

Truly said in the spirit of the forthcoming 'Festive Season'?
Anyway, I thought the Ritz Hotel would be a bit elitist for you!:wink::lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Simple Turkey taste tips

Buy Bronze Turkeys, they are matured longer and have more flavour. Whites are cheaper, you get what you pay for.
Don't buy a turkey crown and then complain it has no taste. The thigh meat has tons of flavour.
Don't overcook it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Truly said in the spirit of the forthcoming 'Festive Season'?
Anyway, I thought the Ritz Hotel would be a bit elitist for you!:wink::lolol:

Oh no, not me.
I have been in the bar at The Ritz a couple of times, the bar snacks are amazing.
I treated Mrs Chopper to some cocktails as a birthday treat some time ago.
A fabulous bar, chuffing expensive but the quality and service is an experience.
But I am not a hypocrite, so no tip was given.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Simple Turkey taste tips

Buy Bronze Turkeys, they are matured longer and have more flavour. Whites are cheaper, you get what you pay for.
Don't buy a turkey crown and then complain it has no taste. The thigh meat has tons of flavour.
Don't overcook it.

This is getting complicated now.
Buying a crown ( no legs) means you can cook it quicker, cooking it quicker means it will not be as dry.
It's on John Williams Christmas Turkey video.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
it's on John Williams Christmas Turkey video.

Dur Dur Dur, Dah dee Dur, Dah dee Dur
Dee Dee Dee, Dee dah Dur, Dah dee Dur...

18j0i3u86n5qsjpg.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here