Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turing FINALLY given Royal Pardon

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And what really stinks,is that i would suspect many at the time 'question his lifestyle' but allowed it to happen.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Turing's sexuality is meaningless compared to what he did for the war effort and the development of modern computing. He is right up there with the greats, coming to a bank note near you...

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Two 'fathers' of modern computing. I wonder if Alan Turing would see the irony of that!!!

A fair point. Moreover by all accounts Turing was a very modest man (and as many mathematical prodigies are maybe painfully so), accordingly whilst this development is entirely appropriate I wonder how Turing would view this focus on his contribution to the detriment of others like Tommy Flowers.

Frankly whilst Turing was a mathematical genius it was Tommy Flowers who was able to construct what had never been constructed before, and he was equally remarkable. The more mundane reality was that Turing was one of a group of quite special people whose talents were invested primarily into the defeat of Germany, but who have left modern society with a more long standing and profound legacy.

Like many matters in this country these days we tend to lose perspective, this should not develop into a cult for Turing. I think he would agree.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can we have an official pardon for all the "witches" we have burned next.... oh, and all the Catholics we burned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here