[Football] Tuchel gone

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why go to a trigger-happy Chelsea now when the England job will be available in around 3 months time?.

Because as a relatively young manager he wants to remain in club management where he can be on the training pitch every day improving players?

(I'm not suggesting that is THE answer, but it could an an answer. The worlds of club and international management are quite different beasts)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Exactly Bozza, the England job really isn't as attractive as some people make it out to be for people who like the day to day involvement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So some people on here think if Chelsea come calling Potter is gone, others think he won't touch them because they're a basket case club. Therefore, the spectrum of opinion on this is as wide as it can be.

Re top 6 job, my understanding is that Spurs DID come calling after Mourinho got the chop, Potter's main reservation was that he wouldn't get the time to put right the problems and he was proved right as they went with Nuno Espirito Santo who was sacked after 10 games. I'm sure Potter will be mindful of that.

He was also not Spurs main choice immediately after they sacked Mourinho. Spurs wanted Julian Nagelsmann who opted to join Bayern Munich. However, this time Potter is already frontrunner and the press are reporting Chelsea are keen to speak with him, and it is a different story when you are first choice as opposed to third, fourth or fifth choice.

We've had a lot of recent interaction with Chelsea over Cucurella, Colwill and Gilmour too. Yet one of the things Tuchel didn't like that contributed to his sacking was the more hands-on involvement in recruitment.

Whether he stays or goes this Chelsea business will make Potter think carefully about his exit from the Albion and where he wants to work next.

The bottom line is It is a great opportunity and Potter will realise it might only take a bad injury for Danny Welbeck for us to return to the bottom half of the table and things could look very different very quickly.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
All of you spouting "Once in a lifetime opportunity, he'll jump at it" are doing him a great disservice imo.

He is a manager on the up and the day will come when he will be approached by any top six club needing a new manager, why would he jump into the maelstrom of Chelsea with a very good chance it could all go wrong very quickly

I can see him replacing Klopp or Pep when they decide to move on in a much more organised and sensible fashion

He really does not to jump as his opportunities will continue to come imo

BUT if as reported Chelsea are approaching us and he is granted permission I'd have to assume that he is interested and probably would go.

How many times do managers like him (i.e. not big name foreign managers) get the chance at one of the big jobs? When is the last time one turned it down?

Let's say he goes and lasts 12 months at Chelsea and it all goes wrong. He'll walk away with experience in a massive job, probably £15 million in the bank, and will be able to pick up a lower Premier League, Championship or foreign job without any difficult at all. If it goes well he'll be one of the hottest properties in Europe, with his pick of pretty much any job.

What's the alternative? Things are great at Brighton now, but less than a year ago a large proportion of our fanbase wanted him out. We will go on a bad run again at some point fairly soon, and if we lost say Trossard and MacAllister to injuries or something we could quite easily be flirting with a relegation battle - there's no reason at all why that couldn't happen. And then his chances of a top job will have gone. How much further can he actually take Brighton? A bit, but we're talking about a 7th place finish and a few European nights in a second rate European tournament. That's literally the absolute best he could realistically hope for here. Would you turn down the chance of probably the biggest job you would ever have in your career to try and achieve that? I'd be stunned if he did. He'd be mad to.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My heart say's he'll stay.

My head, if approached, he's gone.

In spite of the basket case club stuff, GP will back himself to succeed and thus alter the Chelsea narrative. You wouldn't be managing in the PL unless you backed yourself to win things... can he do it with us? there's an outside chance, can he do it at Chelsea? almost certainly.

Still, they might opt for a proven top level winner... which, we all know, GP will be within one season.

Shit.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
17d26576636b3b983569573d97b282cb.jpg

Well now we are screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Because as a relatively young manager he wants to remain in club management where he can be on the training pitch every day improving players?

(I'm not suggesting that is THE answer, but it could an an answer. The worlds of club and international management are quite different beasts)

That's true. And I'm not myopic enough to believe that GP will stay with Albion forever.

Other clubs sniffing around our staff is the unavoidable price of Albion success.

But if we have to lose him, I'd rather we lost GP to country rather than club.

And especially not one that won't give him the time to succeed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hilarious. They let him take care of the transfer market over the summer, allow him to spend absurd money and then sack him one week into September.

Won't miss him.

Not worried about GP going there, he'll stay away from that mess.

I think you’re right. It would not be his way of doing things to drop his current project to chase after big money. The people involved are important to him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Potter has been with us 3 years, has done a good stint and will have to decide what he wants from his career and life now.

I'll not be upset if he chooses to go to Chelsea. Absolutely understandable, although I want him to stay.

I'm not sure he'll be Chelsea's number 1 choice, and I'm not sure if the instant results requirement at Chelsea will appeal to him.

So, I can't worry about hypotheticals for now. I just hope when the time comes the club get a decent replacement and not another Hyypia figure.

Potter will leave one day and my guess is before the end of his 6 year contract with us. It'll be a sad day.

Today is the day for the Lizard to stick a more lucrative longer term contract in front of GP. He's worth it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don’t have this confirmed but I understand that Potter has a release clause in his contract but it’s a figure in excess of £10m so it’s going to cost if another club want him before his contract expires .

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How many times do managers like him (i.e. not big name foreign managers) get the chance at one of the big jobs? When is the last time one turned it down?

Let's say he goes and lasts 12 months at Chelsea and it all goes wrong. He'll walk away with experience in a massive job, probably £15 million in the bank, and will be able to pick up a lower Premier League, Championship or foreign job without any difficult at all. If it goes well he'll be one of the hottest properties in Europe, with his pick of pretty much any job.

What's the alternative? Things are great at Brighton now, but less than a year ago a large proportion of our fanbase wanted him out. We will go on a bad run again at some point fairly soon, and if we lost say Trossard and MacAllister to injuries or something we could quite easily be flirting with a relegation battle - there's no reason at all why that couldn't happen. And then his chances of a top job will have gone. How much further can he actually take Brighton? A bit, but we're talking about a 7th place finish and a few European nights in a second rate European tournament. That's literally the absolute best he could realistically hope for here. Would you turn down the chance of probably the biggest job you would ever have in your career to try and achieve that? I'd be stunned if he did. He'd be mad to.

He turned down Spurs didn't he, from a much weaker position than he's in now

I am not convinced a big pay rise will be on his radar if he wants to complete his project here and then look at his options.

One thing is for certain - this is not a once in a lifetime opportunity for him

Too many on here are blinded by how they'd grab the money and **** how it turns out. He is not like that...I don't think

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t have this confirmed but I understand that Potter has a release clause in his contract but it’s a figure in excess of £10m so it’s going to cost if another club want him before his contract expires .

Apparently it's 16m. That's nothing to Chelsea

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Sadly to a club like Chelsea 10, 16, 25 million - it's small change. :(

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Gus to Chelsea. :shrug:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He turned down Spurs didn't he, from a much weaker position than he's in now

I am not convinced a big pay rise will be on his radar if he wants to complete his project here and then look at his options.

One thing is for certain - this is not a once in a lifetime opportunity for him

Fair point on Spurs, but they didn't actually officially approach him, did they? And they weren't in the Champions League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports