Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Truss v Starmer

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No thread on PMQs today?

Just re-watched it and was surprised to see Truss give Starmer a bit of a hammering. Have Labour under estimated her?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I wouldn't say that - I'd call it a no-score draw. Neither drew blood but neither was one left looking flummoxed.

Being a lefty you will never admit it. Truss won this battle today clearly. First of many I predict.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wouldn't say that - I'd call it a no-score draw. Neither drew blood but neither was one left looking flummoxed.

This was the exact moment when they realised they have a problem. They no longer have a PM who can be battled on whether he ate cake on his birthday or not. They have to try and win on policy now. Problem.

Attachments

• Labour Sep 22.jpg
    Labour Sep 22.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 323

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This was the exact moment when they realised they have a problem. They no longer have a PM who can be battled on whether he ate cake on his birthday or not. They have to try and win on policy now. Problem.

Well, they now have a PM that answers questions at PMQ and sets out a policy. I'm not sure that's a problem though. It means that Labour will have to be much clearer in its plans and present an alternative view to the electorate - which is the way it should be.

Truss is a hostage to fortune here. She's backed the house on investment in the UK and massive growth; if it doesn't happen, she's going to be left with high levels of government spending to try to justify. Her best bet IMO is to call an election early, setting out her plans for lower taxes. If she delays a couple of years and her policies don't lead to growth, she could be hammered.

It's good to hear ideas being debated though, rather than listening to the ramblings of the narcissist charlatan.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well, she was a heck of a lot better than I expected. Early days.

She will get better as she grows in confidence. She will be fine. Its whether she delivers on her promises or not. She doesn't have much time to convince the general public though. Let's give her our support

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well, they now have a PM that answers questions at PMQ and sets out a policy. I'm not sure that's a problem though. It means that Labour will have to be much clearer in its plans and present an alternative view to the electorate - which is the way it should be.

Truss is a hostage to fortune here. She's backed the house on investment in the UK and massive growth; if it doesn't happen, she's going to be left with high levels of government spending to try to justify. Her best bet IMO is to call an election early, setting out her plans for lower taxes. If she delays a couple of years and her policies don't lead to growth, she could be hammered.

It's good to hear ideas being debated though, rather than listening to the ramblings of the narcissist charlatan.

Agree, it was refreshingly straight forward today.

And then there's Blackford.......clown.gif

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good to see a mature debate after the Johnson name calling and serial lies, think Truss asked 3 out of 6 questions from KS, not bad.

Its clear she loves fossils and I'm not talking about the ones on Norfolk beaches. Looking like huge debt for our kids to pay to secure bumper corporate profits today.

PURE GREED, the real Tories are back

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree, it was refreshingly straight forward today.

And then there's Blackford.......View attachment 151630

Indeed.

I was impressed with her. She had a good command of her brief and didn't seem fazed at all.

Despite the fact that she's more competent than Johnson, I think Starmer will be happier too. His method of working is very lawyer-like (not surprisingly) he builds his argument slowly and asks very deliberate questions. He looked a bit lost at Johnson's constant evasions; Truss answers questions and sets out her policy clearly. So does Starmer.

That's why I think it was a draw: neither was lost; they both set out competing points of view and neither was scrambling to justify themselves. It's a much better way for parliamentary business to be conducted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You'd expect Truss to be upbeat and feisty the day after she's become Prime Minister. However, let's see how she performs a couple of months into the daily grind.

Like a Premier League side without European football, Starmer can devote all his energy to planning for his weekly PMQ battle with Truss. However, for her it will be playing 2 or 3 matches a week, every week, with a fair amount of travelling and disruption thrown in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC R5 had a panel of experts at that time. They thought Starmer started strongly with a preplanned attempt to corner LT and tie her to Johnson's reign, but this soon fell apart when she surprisingly rose to the challenge.

They agreed amongst themselves that Labour will need to change tact from here on in.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The feudal queen versus the village idiot - which way was it ever going to go.

The problem for Britain is that the fedual queen will create havoc and provoke major social unrest.

If Corbyn had any balls he would through his full weight behind Enough is Enough and launch a new working class party.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You'd expect Truss to be upbeat and feisty the day after she's become Prime Minister. However, let's see how she performs a couple of months into the daily grind.

Like a Premier League side without European football, Starmer can devote all his energy to planning for his weekly PMQ battle with Truss. However, for her it will be playing 2 or 3 matches a week, every week, with a fair amount of travelling and disruption thrown in.

It can work both ways.

Corbyn started with a deliberate gentle speaking approach, concentrating on policy.

By his latter days he'd joined the rest, ranting, as the polls fell away.

All despite Johnson having Thursday nights away in the Europa League, whilst Corbyn had a full week to prepare whilst at home coaching Diane in front of a log fire.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

That dullard has ENERGY?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The feudal queen versus the village idiot - which way was it ever going to go.

The problem for Britain is that the fedual queen will create havoc and provoke major social unrest.

If Corbyn had any balls he would through his full weight behind Enough is Enough and launch a new working class party.

It was the working class which abandoned Labour in droves when Corbyn was leader - in 2019, 48% of the working class voted Tory compared to 33% voting Labour. A lot of the most vitriolic comments about Corbyn's politics were from Red Wall voters who thought Corbyn was a terrorist-loving, unpatriotic, identity-politics, Commie.

England has always had one of the most 'conservative' working classes in the world (outside the Trumpian US).

The Tories know that they can repeatedly crap on the working class economically and let them languish on poverty wages, but still retain their support at election time by promising to 'get tough' on immigrants, law-and-order, welfare scroungers, and 'the Woke'. The proles lap it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here