Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Except he's done nothing of the kind. He's gone out of his way to make sure he hasn't generalised about all leavers.You are adding nothing to the discussion but misrepresenting what he has posted.

Slightly less gently put than my effort :lolol: :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As part of the "baying mobs outside Parliament", I wish to disagree! I took part in all three marches. They were all peaceful (not bad considering the second and third march attracted about a million people). It wasn't a question of overturning a democratic outcome. It was actually all about seeking a greater democratic validation of the 2016 Vote (which, remember, was "advisory"). The whole point of the marches was to seek a second referendum, once the terms of the deal had been clarified. There is absolutely no valid comparison with what happened on Capitol Hill (which, by the way, caused FIVE deaths).

The similarities between Trump-ism and Brexit are that they are both based on a pack of lies. You could argue that much of politics is lying - but Trump and the Brexit crew took it to an altogether different level. What amazes me in all this is that the people with most to lose from Trump and Brexit seem to be their biggest supporters. But maybe here in the UK the fishermen, the farmers, the car workers, those in hospitals with far fewer EU nurses and doctors, those small business owners facing mountainous red-tape just to send a widget to Germany, those who live next to the huge new lorry parks popping up around the country, those loyalists in Northern Ireland who now discover the road to a united Ireland is much clearer, etc, etc....maybe some of those will start to realise they've been sold out.

The US will be free of Trump (at least as President) in two weeks' time. Unfortunately in the UK we probably have decades of Brexit. But hopefully we will still have the democratic right to peacefully protest and maybe some time "overturn" the result of the 2016 referendum!

And that’s why the Brexit thread is in the Bear Pit. I am just not going to engage in debate with people who dismiss my point of view as one based on lies. Like it or not you are very similar to Trump in your approach to debate.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
That doesn’t actually mean anything. I own my vote, you own yours. That’s it. Like Trump you feel the need to downgrade the value of votes of the winning side. I understand but this is a thread about Trump. You linked it to Brexit so perhaps you want it in the Bear Pit.

The phrase means you 'refuse to acknowledge' this element of the Brexit vote. And I already explained the connection between Trumpism and some Brexit supporters.
You're welcome.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I am concerned that Biden won’t make it to 2024.
Not his age, more people are living longer now, I hope that the more extreme right wing nutters among Trumps supporters don’t take it into their heads to use their ‘God given’ gun rights to assassinate him.
Before anyone says it’s unlikely, America has a long and dishonourable history of taking out their Presidents, and the far right in this country murdered an MP not too long ago.

Lincoln, Garfield,McKinley,and Kennedy, hopefully we won’t be adding Biden to this list.

I too have this fear, I also thought Trump himself might well become a target if he "betrays " his fan base.... And funnily enough that might happen yet. Interesting little piece in the Grauniad where some supporters are starting to slip away feeling let down where some have further ramped up their belief in Trump despite his statement that he was “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem” of the Capitol siege that he had incited, and said those who “broke the law will pay” .......They actually believe that he still has a " master plan " to defeat the lizards still eating children.

It puts me in mind of that scene in The Life Of Brian..... " Look I'm NOT the Messiah "........ " Ah but only the true Messiah denies his divinity "... " Well what chance does that give me ? "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/08/trump-incites-anger-among-acolytes-let-down-by-lack-of-support

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The phrase means you 'refuse to acknowledge' this element of the Brexit vote. And I already explained the connection between Trumpism and some Brexit supporters.
You're welcome.

Sure, sorry. Give me a mo whilst I ring round the 17,410,742 leave votes. I need to acknowledge all the reasons they cast their secret ballots. I’m sure they will think it’s any of my business. Give it a rest eh. Perhaps if you want to insult people who voted leave, by association with Trump you could do it on the Brexit thread.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not his age, more people are living longer now, I hope that the more extreme right wing nutters among Trumps supporters don’t take it into their heads to use their ‘God given’ gun rights to assassinate him.
Before anyone says it’s unlikely, America has a long and dishonourable history of taking out their Presidents, and the far right in this country murdered an MP not too long ago.

Lincoln, Garfield,McKinley,and Kennedy, hopefully we won’t be adding Biden to this list.

Not forgetting the failed attempt on Reagan who was shot and wounded.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Pence may be the one most at risk at the moment. Trump seems attracted to Nazi type tactics. He has had his burning of the Reichstag moment which didn’t go to plan. Perhaps he and his supporters could look further back next for inspiration, to the ‘November criminals.’ The German army (Trump) did not actually lose. They were betrayed by the German officials who signed the armistice (Pence).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Sure, sorry. Give me a mo whilst I ring round the 17,410,742 leave votes. I need to acknowledge all the reasons they cast their secret ballots. I’m sure they will think it’s any of my business. Give it a rest eh. Perhaps if you want to insult people who voted leave, by association with Trump you could do it on the Brexit thread.

You keep telling yourself that. I know you will :thumbsup:

[tweet]1347311770793369601[/tweet]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You keep telling yourself that. I know you will :thumbsup:

[tweet]1347311770793369601[/tweet]

So tell them. As far as I know none of them posts on NSC. I wouldn’t know because I don’t really care about your Twitter links. You might add in your ‘of course I am not talking about the mass of ordinary leave voters’ line but that is the leave voter you are in the main addressing on NSC. If you want to talk to that Twitter account then add in your own comments at the bottom.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
And that’s why the Brexit thread is in the Bear Pit. I am just not going to engage in debate with people who dismiss my point of view as one based on lies. Like it or not you are very similar to Trump in your approach to debate.

You're probably right - the Brexit element is best left to the Bear Pit. By the way, I'm not dismissing your point of view. I completely accept that there are many reasons why people voted for Brexit - you didn't necessarily need to believe Farage, Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gove, or any of the other serial liars. However, it's difficult to argue that the Vote Leave campaign wasn't based on a whole pack of lies. And one of the most galling aspects of the whole process was that, as soon as anyone on the other side tried to highlight those lies, it was labelled "Project Fear". Expertise was ridiculed ("we don't need experts"). It became impossible to properly debate the issues.

That's the problem....the legacy of all this is that Trump and Brexit have caused huge division at a time when we all need to pull together. And unfortunately the architects of Trumpism and Brexit are just getting richer on the back of it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
So tell them. As far as I know none of them posts on NSC. I wouldn’t know because I don’t really care about your Twitter links. You might add in your ‘of course I am not talking about the mass of ordinary leave voters’ line but that is the leave voter you are in the main addressing on NSC. If you want to talk to that Twitter account then add in your own comments at the bottom.

Them? Yourself NB, yourself. Can see why you completely missed what I was trying to get at in my original post.

The twitter link was just for larks. It's Leave.eu coming out for Trump as usual incase you were wondering.

And it wasn't a 'line' but a significant part of my post.

Take care!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Apart from ill health preventing him lasting four years, his insurance policy is, his vice president is a black woman. There are extreme nutters who wouldn't accept a woman president let alone a black one.
Having said that, the extreme nutters won't even think that one through.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am just not going to engage in debate with people who dismiss my point of view as one based on lies.

You seem a little over-sensitive. Because people on a side of a debate tell lies - and there are plenty of examples from all political hues - does not mean that every voter voted as a result of those lies. That is self-evident. Same with Trump. There were many reasons for supporting Trump (Hillbilly Elegy is very good - the book not the film) - many of which were unrelated to the bloke. Everyone has their own reasons for voting.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Them? Yourself NB, yourself. Can see why you completely missed what I was trying to get at in my original post.

The twitter link was just for larks. It's Leave.eu coming out for Trump as usual incase you were wondering.

And it wasn't a 'line' but a significant part of my post.

Take care!

Ok, same to you. We don’t want to fall out over politics. Just not worth it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm intrigued by the video/audio editing of Trump's "concession speech".

There is clearly a spliced in segment at 1.28 after he says, "now Congress has certified the results...". There is then a camera angle cut, but you can also hear that it is also an audio cut as the continuation of his sentence doesn't flow from the original audio when he says, "....a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th......etc etc". The rest of that spliced in clip he goes on about "ensuring a smooth and orderly transition of power" and achieving "healing and reconciliation". It then reverts back to the original video/audio at 1.41.

Trump would certainly have struggled saying those words between 1.28 and 1.41. I wonder if they were inserted as an after thought, or whether it was because that part had to be redone because Trump struggled keeping to that part of the script.

He probably didn't come across "sincere" enough in the original take or couldn't resist revealing what he really thought about the words he was being forced to say.

I wouldn't read anything into it. All his videos like this are the same. I suspect it was shot quickly in one or two takes from two angles, he buggered the script up and one point and they used the different angle as a cutaway.

They tried to get away with an edit on a single shot last time (using morphing to hide the cut) but all the editors spotted it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You seem a little over-sensitive. Because people on a side of a debate tell lies - and there are plenty of examples from all political hues - does not mean that every voter voted as a result of those lies. That is self-evident. Same with Trump. There were many reasons for supporting Trump (Hillbilly Elegy is very good - the book not the film) - many of which were unrelated to the bloke. Everyone has their own reasons for voting.

There were lies told on both sides of the 2016 debate. The losing side has chosen to make an issue of it being the reason for their loss. As you imply, this does not follow. The vote was not ‘stolen.’ If I am over sensitive it is because it is the tactics used by Trump so a bit rich really.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
There is close to no chance of him running in '24. Why would he? He's got the title, proved he had little interest in actually doing the work and will be having too much fun sniping from the sidelines about how he would've done things so much better.

The GOP would've moved on by then. Remember this is the guy responsible for losing them the House and now the Senate as well as the Presidency. I'm 50/50 on whether one of his kids might give it a go –*all depends how the legal things (if any) play out over the next few months and years. Lindsay Graham, Pence or Cruz are more likely to be the frontrunners along with some of the people who have escaped the administration in recent months. Romney as an outside chance, maybe?

Well let's hope the American people don't support any of his kids that might run...because papa will always be involved

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here