Trump

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
https://www.ft.com/content/c8f6f413-39c4-47ce-b1ff-0e02969cb612

He condones anti-lockdown protests. I just wondered what would have have happened if a group of black armed people took over a building?

He didn't condone the armed people in the federal building. Those lockdown protests were a very different thing: people on the pavement with placards, etc.

As for the second point, we'll have to see if it ever happens. But there's a world of difference between a peaceful protest in a building and this.

[tweet]1266256579273166851[/tweet]

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
So hang on – and apologies for a) not checking out these facts and b) not knowing the hierarchy in US politics – is Trumpo BLAMING the Democrat Mayor for the riots, but then also SUPPORTING the Republican Governor there? Is that right*- as in 'correct', not 'morally'?

As I understand it, if there's a riot in a city, as in this case, it's the Mayor's responsibility to deal with it. The city police force is under his control. If that doesn't work, the mayor can request the use of state-wide forces such as the Highway Patrol or National Guard. He can also involve the state Governor.

But it is primarily the Mayor's job to quell civil unrest in his city.

It's all about devolved power and the federal government theoretically not having too much power. For us in Britain all this can seem a bit confusing. I read a book about the Manson Family last year and found it odd that Los Angeles would have a police force but the suburbs beyond a certain point would have a Sheriff's department.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So hang on – and apologies for a) not checking out these facts and b) not knowing the hierarchy in US politics – is Trumpo BLAMING the Democrat Mayor for the riots, but then also SUPPORTING the Republican Governor there? Is that right*- as in 'correct', not 'morally'?

I think they're both Democrats, which makes it a bit peculiar given his utter distain for anyone that isn't white Republican.

Unlike the looters and rioters, who are clearly setting high standards of decency.....

What would you have him do - allow the city to be destroyed?

There's ways to act as President without LITERALLY SUPPORTING GUNNING PEOPLE DOWN.

I honestly never thought i'd have to explain that.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As I understand it, if there's a riot in a city, as in this case, it's the Mayor's responsibility to deal with it. The city police force is under his control. If that doesn't work, the mayor can request the use of state-wide forces such as the Highway Patrol or National Guard. He can also involve the state Governor.

But it is primarily the Mayor's job to quell civil unrest in his city.

It's all about devolved power and the federal government theoretically not having too much power. For us in Britain all this can seem a bit confusing

Confusing indeed :mad:

But at least it explains in part how Bo and Luke Duke managed to get away with so many driving offences.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Confusing indeed :mad:

But at least it explains in part how Bo and Luke Duke managed to get away with so many driving offences.

Haha! That's it. Cross the county line and they can't touch you. I always found that odd as a kid.

Conversely, if you commit crimes that cross state line then it's way more serious and you get time in the federal pen rather than the county jail.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well, he's certainly good at one thing: Setting the standards for decency lower and lower and lower and lower and lo....

[tweet]1266231100780744704[/tweet]
Good to see that Twitter has labelled the tweet as "glorifying violence".

President Chump is such a doofus. Lol.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Good to see that Twitter has labelled the tweet as "glorifying violence".

President Chump is such a doofus. Lol.

Although as someone pointed out, they don't do that with the leader of Iran when he threatens to wipe out Israel.

It's all about politics and not about the case in hand.

I think Twitter are playing a dangerous game. If they decide to act as a publisher rather than a platform then they themselves can be sued for publishing libellous comments.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
The manbaby has overstepped the mark with his Tweet. Watch out for low flying dummies.

Trump.Tweet2.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I just wondered what would have have happened if a group of black armed people took over a building?

That takes no effort whatsoever, they would be shot....

America is one of the most racially divided countries I have ever been too, and it is as clear as day in any city, or town you visit.
White folks are being told that they will be a minority in America very soon, in some cities and states they already are.
As I see it, as usual certain rich white folks in charge of corporations and politics are afraid they will lose their grip on power, people like Trump and the Alt Right and certain sections of the media are now making poor white folk scared, telling them their heritage is under attack and fanning the flames of hate. When all along those poor white uneducated folks in Flint Michigan and other downtrodding areas throughout America, have more in common with every other race and creed than those bloody fanning the flames.....

Divide & Bloody Rule...

Such a shame, because America missed a trick the whole ethos of the States was freedom from persecution and tyranny

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Although as someone pointed out, they don't do that with the leader of Iran when he threatens to wipe out Israel.

I think Twitter are playing a dangerous game. If they decide to act as a publisher rather than a platform then they themselves can be sued for publishing libellous comments.

Whataboutism is so tedious and low.

However, evolution of policy over time, changing position from a few years ago, is surely positive and to be encouraged.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Trump is playing a dangerous game. He’s basically said that unless I can tweet anything I want regardless of whether it is true or not, I will shut you down. They effectively said **** you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
All he can do is declare martial law and send in the troops. That would be a very drastic step, although the Tweet suggests he's prepared to take it.

The mans totally incompetent. How you our anyone with a modicum of self respect can condone his behaviour is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Twitter have indicated that POTUS saying he was prepared to exercise his legal powers is bad but the Iranian leader threatening another state is fine. If that's whataboutery, then so be it.

Did Twitter sanction Trump when he was prepared to blow North Korea off the map

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here