Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

True Detective. Kelly Reilly. That is all..

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Kelly Reilly. Oh yes. A few years back she was in some show with Rupert Penry Jones where she unleashed the puppies.

I gave up after 2 episodes of the first series of TD as found it very slow. However will give the second series a go. On a similar note I also gave up after 2 episodes of S3 of Hannibal. The first 2 series were good but it now seems to have descended into pretentious arty ****.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Loved the first season, despite Pizzollato's influences from crime fiction and southern gothic being a bit too blatant. Passages of Blood Meridian, No country for old men and literally full lines from The Wire being ripped off. But there were some interesting ideas concerning existential nihilism and solopsism that it was refreshing to see in mainstream television. I actually enjoy the slowness of it, it is more akin to a novel in that regard.

This season seems to be a homage to the more hard-boiled classics but some of the dialogue in that first episode was clunky and cringeworthy, almost as if the writer is too aware of what the audience expects, it bordered on self parody at times.'Never do anything out of hunger, not even eating'. Jesus. Not to mention every cop cliche in the book. The whole episode made me think of Cohle's line about self awareness being a tragic misstep in natural evolution, as that episode was painfully self aware and suffered because of it. Based on the pedigree of the first season I remain optimistic for the rest of the run, however.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Loved the first season, despite Pizzollato's influences from crime fiction and southern gothic being a bit too blatant. Passages of Blood Meridian, No country for old men and literally full lines from The Wire being ripped off. But there were some interesting ideas concerning existential nihilism and solopsism that it was refreshing to see in mainstream television. I actually enjoy the slowness of it, it is more akin to a novel in that regard.

This season seems to be a homage to the more hard-boiled classics but some of the dialogue in that first episode was clunky and cringeworthy, almost as if the writer is too aware of what the audience expects, it bordered on self parody at times.'Never do anything out of hunger, not even eating'. Jesus. Not to mention every cop cliche in the book. The whole episode made me think of Cohle's line about self awareness being a tragic misstep in natural evolution, as that episode was painfully self aware and suffered because of it. Based on the pedigree of the first season I remain optimistic for the rest of the run, however.

With you there, loved the first series, but found this episode a little confusing, a rush to introduce all the characters at once, some of the acting was a bit hammy as well, but will definitely watch next week

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Loved the first series and I think they did a good job of introducing all the characters and their weaknesses in the first episode of the second. It's obviously going to be very different as the first series was focussed on the two main leads whereas this has doubled the number. Very promising. It had a feel of LA Confidential to it.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Kelly Reilly. Oh yes. A few years back she was in some show with Rupert Penry Jones where she unleashed the puppies.

I gave up after 2 episodes of the first series of TD as found it very slow. However will give the second series a go. On a similar note I also gave up after 2 episodes of S3 of Hannibal. The first 2 series were good but it now seems to have descended into pretentious arty ****.

That was "Joe's Palace". She also gets jiggy, in Puffball, though the plot for that is just plain weird.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Meh

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Jesus, this is bad. Not a patch on the first series.
Tonight's episode finished in a standard USA gunfight filler when a script isn't up to much.
Had a lot to live up to and so far tragic fail

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's certainly not holding my attention anywhere near as much as the first series did

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
So far not up to the first series, but definitely sticking with it as it's unusual for HBO to come up with a dud

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Am trying to watch series 2 as a stand alone separate entity. It's impossible. So far it just doesn't compare although I AM still enjoying it. I just hope Pizzollato can pull something out of the bag over the next few episodes.
The series should never have been called True Detective.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Am I being fick or are they talking in riddles?

People are talking but nobody seems to be actually saying anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here