Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trossard

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I hope you're right, but I suspect you may be disappointed. The big difference is their ages and relative contracts.

• Trossard is 28 next month and his next move may be his last chance to earn a mega-money deal somewhere - He'll be 29 when his contract ends and potentially less attractive to perceived "top" clubs
  • Mac Allister is 23 and has the whole of his prime ahead of him. In 4 years time, he'll still be in a position to command a big fee and wage if he carries on as he is. A big money move isn't as pressing a concern as it is for Trossard.

Contract Terms:
  • Trossard was a sizeable signing when he arrived (£18m fee, Belgian PotY and golden boot) so has a pretty decent contract
  • Running it down, although not as lucrative as renewing won't have as big an impact as with Mac Allister because...
  • Mac Allister was a relative youngster and more of a risk so his wages would have been much lower than our established first teamers
  • His new contract was as much about getting him on fairer terms commensurate with his place in the team as much as securing him long term and as such was more mutually beneficial
I can't disagree with what you say. But my feeling that it's not 100% certain is based on him saying he liked playing here, and understood that playing here had been good for him. There was also an interview a while back, where his agent said he wouldn't be against signing a new contract, for precisely those reasons. But i know you have to take those interviews with a pinch of salt.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
If (as reported via BBC today) Chelsea are ‘ready to open contract talks with Trossard’ then I can honestly see this hastening Potter’s demise at Chelsea.

Chelsea fans don’t want to finish top half of the table, they expect to challenge for the league. Tross is a fantastic player, but not (IMO) consistent enough for a realistic title challenge.

The fans must be utterly bewildered by Todd Boehly’s attempts to transplant the entire Brighton infrastructure to London. I can foresee a point where they‘ve had enough and start saying so loudly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If (as reported via BBC today) Chelsea are ‘ready to open contract talks with Trossard’ then I can honestly see this hastening Potter’s demise at Chelsea.

Chelsea fans don’t want to finish top half of the table, they expect to challenge for the league. Tross is a fantastic player, but not (IMO) consistent enough for a realistic title challenge.

The fans must be utterly bewildered by Todd Boehly’s attempts to transplant the entire Brighton infrastructure to London. I can foresee a point where they‘ve had enough and start saying so loudly.
I think he is consistent enough now.

A few years ago he wasn't but over the last 18 months he's stepped up.

Contrary to what some might believe, there's no players who perform well in every game. Perhaps Messi and Ronaldo at their peak but thats about it.

IMHO Trossard is, these days, no less consistent than someone like Mo Salah or *pick a player from the current PL leaders*. And he's certainly a better footballer than anything Chelsea currently have on their wings.

I don't think he is going anywhere until the summer but he will move then. Would have loved to see him in Spain or Italy where there's a bit more space for him to do magic stuff, but if he moves within England Chelsea might be a good bet despite GPs previous history of not signing his ex-players to his teams. They might also be the preferred option for Bloom as they've shown they're willing to splash absurd money (they paid like £20m too much for Cucurella, to mention one thing; agreed on compensation for Winstanley unlike Newcastle who just waited for Ashworth to sit out his contract, to mention another) while not shithousing too much (like City did). But I'd be surprised if not some of the other top teams also went in for him. Not City - too good - but the others.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Is it reported by the BBC? Or are you referring to some nonsense from Football Insider that features in the BBC's gossip page? This source is so inside football that it isn't even aware that Tross has a one year extension on this contract, such that it runs until summer 2024 -- and not 2023 as they indicate.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Is it reported by the BBC? Or are you referring to some nonsense from Football Insider that features in the BBC's gossip page? This source is so inside football that it isn't even aware that Tross has a one year extension on this contract, such that it runs until summer 2024 -- and not 2023 as they indicate.
Well, I said ‘via’ not ‘by’, but yes, ‘Football Insider’ were the quoted source.

I’d like to think it’s all horsesh*t, but as Swanny has pointed out above, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. (That’s football insider I’m talking about Swanny, not you)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Contrary to what some might believe, there's no players who perform well in every game. Perhaps Messi and Ronaldo at their peak but thats about it.

IMHO Trossard is, these days, no less consistent than someone like Mo Salah or *pick a player from the current PL leaders*. And he's certainly a better footballer than anything Chelsea currently have on their wings.

I don't think he is going anywhere until the summer but he will move then. Would have loved to see him in Spain or Italy where there's a bit more space for him to do magic stuff, but if he moves within England Chelsea might be a good bet despite GPs previous history of not signing his ex-players to his teams. They might also be the preferred option for Bloom as they've shown they're willing to splash absurd money (they paid like £20m too much for Cucurella, to mention one thing; agreed on compensation for Winstanley unlike Newcastle who just waited for Ashworth to sit out his contract, to mention another) while not shithousing too much (like City did). But I'd be surprised if not some of the other top teams also went in for him. Not City - too good - but the others.
Newcastle did pay compensation in the end. They did wait a while before coming to a compromise with us but it did involve compensation so that he finished his gardening leave early.
I get your point though that Chelsea splash the cash at any opportunity.
If Trossard wants to go then I'm assuming it will be in the summer, and if Chelsea pay over the odds for him, then why not take their money rather than a lower offer elsewhere.
If results don't improve for Potter though, I can see this potential transfer coming under scrutiny from Chelsea fans.
Potter moving for Trossard just puts more pressure on himself.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Newcastle did pay compensation in the end. They did wait a while before coming to a compromise with us but it did involve compensation so that he finished his gardening leave early.
If Trossard wants to go then I'm assuming it will be in the summer, and if Chelsea pay over the odds for him, then why not take their money rather than a lower offer elsewhere.
If results don't improve for Potter though, I can see this potential transfer coming under scrutiny from Chelsea fans.
I think if Chelsea want to be successful they have to ignore their fans, don't know if they're strong enough.

Biggest disadvantage with signing players from old clubs is that parts of the squad may feel there is favourism involved if the new-old bloke gets to play a lot on behalf of others.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I actually think that the next transfer window will be critical to Potter's success at Chelsea.

If they come for Trossard and Sanchez, then it demonstrates that they're serious about giving him the tools he wants to be a success as opposed to just paying lip service to his demands to get in the manager they wanted. It'll show that he has the backing of the leadership team there and make a statement to the fans that Potter is their man.

If however, they sign Ronaldo and a couple of "marketing" signings (i.e. big name players who are a bit over the hill), then Potter will be gone before next Christmas at the latest.

Whatever happens with Trossard though, we'll either have a player on a tidy new contract for his prime years, or an absolute sh*tload of Boehly's money swashing about in Uncle Tony's pocket.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yep. I suspect we'll activate the one year option but then accept a bid that meets our valuation, based on him having a year left.

And, yes, he's more than good enough to go to a "big club". Looked far better than Hazard when he came on for Belgium (admittedly that's a battered and past it Hazard) and has finally learned to find the net with his chances, rather than post or wide.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yep. I suspect we'll activate the one year option but then accept a bid that meets our valuation, based on him having a year left.

And, yes, he's more than good enough to go to a "big club". Looked far better than Hazard when he came on for Belgium (admittedly that's a battered and past it Hazard) and has finally learned to find the net with his chances, rather than post or wide.
Indeed. His critical goal scoring stats are astonishing this season. Forget top 6, they are top 4 figures.

Trossard is equal 3rd in the Premier League for shot conversion. Equal 3rd with Harry Kane and Phil Foden.

Luckily, there is likely to be a bidding war if he is to leave in January with Newcastle and Chelsea favourites to take part. I also think that the £30m valuation banded about in the press would not be rejected out of hand by TB and that the bulk of the fee would go straight on a replacement.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Spot on. It is really beginning to wrankle that these rumours ignore the extension. Ill-informed BS.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, I said ‘via’ not ‘by’, but yes, ‘Football Insider’ were the quoted source.

I’d like to think it’s all horsesh*t, but as Swanny has pointed out above, even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day. (That’s football insider I’m talking about Swanny, not you)
100% correct for Swanny tho.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Let's face it
Trossard
Calciedo
Estupinan

Uncle Tony won't let any of them go unless mega mega pounds are offered . Seen enough from Calciedo and Estupinan at the WC to think that £85m & £60m minimum for them and I feel £50m for Trossard taking into account age and current maximum contract length.

Uncle Tony will, as usual, have the Royal Flush hand me thinks?

TNBA

TTF

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Let's face it
Trossard
Calciedo
Estupinan

Uncle Tony won't let any of them go unless mega mega pounds are offered . Seen enough from Calciedo and Estupinan at the WC to think that £85m & £60m minimum for them and I feel £50m for Trossard taking into account age and current maximum contract length.

Uncle Tony will, as usual, have the Royal Flush hand me thinks?

TNBA

TTF
I can't see how either reflect those valuations. Caicedo has a lot to learn. Estupinan is a decent player with weaknesses in his game. Both are good for us, but I cannot see either being first choice at a top ECL club. Biss was a good example of this.

If Trossard goes in the summer I cannot see us getting £50m. This suggests his contract is worth almost double that in normal circumstance. It just isn't at this stage.

Folk were surprised when Biss went for £30m. It was about right.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can't see how either reflect those valuations. Caicedo has a lot to learn. Estupinan is a decent player with weaknesses in his game. Both are good for us, but I cannot see either being first choice at a top ECL club. Biss was a good example of this.

If Trossard goes in the summer I cannot see us getting £50m. This suggests his contract is worth almost double that in normal circumstance. It just isn't at this stage.

Folk were surprised when Biss went for £30m. It was about right.
Biss had a year left so £30m (ish) was a good deal, Moises has 3………and has more potential (if not a better player already) and very important to us right now. No way Tony lets him go for less than 70/80m in either of the next two windows IMO.

Agree re Pervis and Leo though, Pervis won’t be sold because no-one will pay what we’d want, Leo will go for maybe 30-35 because of his contract situation I suspect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here