Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trossard

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
My problem with him is he doesn’t put in enough performances like Saturday.

Starts the season well, finishes it well but goes missing between November and April.

A player I wouldn’t be pushing out the door, however it a good bid came in I could see the logic in accepting it.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The commentator on my stream (Jacqui Oatley?) said something along the lines of him often playing better when coming back from playing/being with Belgium. Is that something others have noticed?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Starts the season well, finishes it well but goes missing between November and April.

A player I wouldn’t be pushing out the door, however it a good bid came in I could see the logic in accepting it.

he's basically the new Paul Brooker

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

These Belgians, they don't like it up 'em on a wet Tuesday night away in Stoke :wink:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Tross interview in Belgian HUMO:

Apparently Arsenal were in for Tross when Brighton signed him.
JOSY COMHAIR ( agent ) «Potter came to Brussels especially for Leandro. With an extensive PowerPoint presentation to convince him. He absolutely wanted it."

TROSSARD “ I had done some research and knew that under the previous trainer they had mainly played kick-and-rush. That's why I insisted on a conversation with the new coach: I wanted to know what he stood for. He knows Roberto Martínez well and came to explain his plans to me when we were together with the national team in Tubize. There he took me in for him, I immediately had a good feeling. In the meantime everyone has seen what a good trainer Potter is - Chelsea have not come to snatch him away for nothing. I haven't regretted my choice for Brighton for a second."

COMHAIR «There were other options. In the same period I had several conversations with Arsenal. They came to Belgium four times. I'll give you a note: most players would have chosen Arsenal. But what would have happened if Leandro didn't get to play? Then there is only one way out: to take a step back. People don't realize what that does in someone's head. I know Leandro: bench him three times and he goes wild. So we turned it around: if he does well at Brighton, he doesn't have to back down, he can take a step forward ( grins ). Didn't we get it right?"

Also speaks a fair bit about Brighton, a little about De Zerbi, about his personal life etc. Good interview. Bit too much transfer talk for anyone to feel comfortable though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Tross interview in Belgian HUMO:

Apparently Arsenal were in for Tross when Brighton signed him.
JOSY COMHAIR ( agent ) «Potter came to Brussels especially for Leandro. With an extensive PowerPoint presentation to convince him. He absolutely wanted it."

TROSSARD “ I had done some research and knew that under the previous trainer they had mainly played kick-and-rush. That's why I insisted on a conversation with the new coach: I wanted to know what he stood for. He knows Roberto Martínez well and came to explain his plans to me when we were together with the national team in Tubize. There he took me in for him, I immediately had a good feeling. In the meantime everyone has seen what a good trainer Potter is - Chelsea have not come to snatch him away for nothing. I haven't regretted my choice for Brighton for a second."

COMHAIR «There were other options. In the same period I had several conversations with Arsenal. They came to Belgium four times. I'll give you a note: most players would have chosen Arsenal. But what would have happened if Leandro didn't get to play? Then there is only one way out: to take a step back. People don't realize what that does in someone's head. I know Leandro: bench him three times and he goes wild. So we turned it around: if he does well at Brighton, he doesn't have to back down, he can take a step forward ( grins ). Didn't we get it right?"

Also speaks a fair bit about Brighton, a little about De Zerbi, about his personal life etc. Good interview. Bit too much transfer talk for anyone to feel comfortable though.
So is he now happy to sit on the bench at a top club? He is not consistent enough to be a regular starter

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
'Didn't we get it right?'
yes pat yourself on the back and take that big chunk of transfer fee

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So is he now happy to sit on the bench at a top club? He is not consistent enough to be a regular starter
There's a lot of players not consistent enough to be regular starters who are regular starters anyway. Arsenal has a bunch of players who throughout the years have been very up and down, doesn't stop them from topping the league.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
And he's probably reached a point in his career where he feels he has nothing to lose by trying.

He has proved he is more than capable of playing in the Premier league, so if he goes to a Champions League club and 'fails', the step down won't be anywhere as significant as it would have been if he'd come direct from Belgium

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This from Romano the self appointed font of all football transfer knowledge about the interview - I really hope he's right in his last sentence :thumbsup:

Trossard and his representatives aren’t currently in talks with Arsenal, with Chelsea the only side thought currently to be in the running for his signature, and as Romano explained, it’s nothing out of the ordinary for the agents of top players to hold conversations with multiple clubs.

“Leandro Trossard’s agent has been speaking about holding talks with Arsenal a few years ago, and this has inevitably attracted a lot of interest,” Romano said.

“This might not come across in the agent’s interview, but it was nothing serious – it’s normal for agents of talented players to have many conversations with top clubs around Europe and that’s what happened. It was never an advanced negotiation with Arsenal.

“Trossard is now performing great for Brighton. I think he’s very good player but I don’t see him leaving in January.”

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This from Romano the self appointed font of all football transfer knowledge about the interview - I really hope he's right in his last sentence :thumbsup:

Trossard and his representatives aren’t currently in talks with Arsenal, with Chelsea the only side thought currently to be in the running for his signature, and as Romano explained, it’s nothing out of the ordinary for the agents of top players to hold conversations with multiple clubs.

“Leandro Trossard’s agent has been speaking about holding talks with Arsenal a few years ago, and this has inevitably attracted a lot of interest,” Romano said.

“This might not come across in the agent’s interview, but it was nothing serious – it’s normal for agents of talented players to have many conversations with top clubs around Europe and that’s what happened. It was never an advanced negotiation with Arsenal.

“Trossard is now performing great for Brighton. I think he’s very good player but I don’t see him leaving in January.”
Well if Romano says he is staying in January then he must be

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
The more quotes I read, the more certain I become that he’ll be off in the summer.

He’s at a point where this is likely his last chance to move to a ‘big’ club, play European club competitions and also significantly increase his wages.

Trust Tony to get the best deal possible and also secure the best replacement possible in the summer.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I agree with those saying he won't be off in January. But also think the summer could be important. We'll certainly take up the year extension on his contract, and try and get him to sign a new one. If he won't then we'll sell him in the summer for the best price we can get.

In the scenario where he leaves, it would likely be to a champions league club, and whether that's Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle, I don't think anyone could seriously begrudge him that opportunity at this stage of his career.

However, personally I'm not 100% sure he will go. I was 100% sure Bissouma & Ben white would go, but Trossard has said a few things about how much he loves being here, how he feels he's playing well, and its important to him to be playing everygame. I think he's smart enough to know he won't necessarily get that at Chelsea or Arsenal. Maybe it's just me looking at things through my blue and white tinted spectacles but I think there's still a chance he might do a Mac Allister and sign an extension. Don't get me wrong, I still realise its likely that he will go to a bigger club in the summer, but just not a certainty like some of our previous transfers.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I agree with those saying he won't be off in January. But also think the summer could be important. We'll certainly take up the year extension on his contract, and try and get him to sign a new one. If he won't then we'll sell him in the summer for the best price we can get.

In the scenario where he leaves, it would likely be to a champions league club, and whether that's Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle, I don't think anyone could seriously begrudge him that opportunity at this stage of his career.

However, personally I'm not 100% sure he will go. I was 100% sure Bissouma & Ben white would go, but Trossard has said a few things about how much he loves being here, how he feels he's playing well, and its important to him to be playing everygame. I think he's smart enough to know he won't necessarily get that at Chelsea or Arsenal. Maybe it's just me looking at things through my blue and white tinted spectacles but I think there's still a chance he might do a Mac Allister and sign an extension. Don't get me wrong, I still realise its likely that he will go to a bigger club in the summer, but just not a certainty like some of our previous transfers.
I hope you're right, but I suspect you may be disappointed. The big difference is their ages and relative contracts.

• Trossard is 28 next month and his next move may be his last chance to earn a mega-money deal somewhere - He'll be 29 when his contract ends and potentially less attractive to perceived "top" clubs
  • Mac Allister is 23 and has the whole of his prime ahead of him. In 4 years time, he'll still be in a position to command a big fee and wage if he carries on as he is. A big money move isn't as pressing a concern as it is for Trossard.

Contract Terms:
  • Trossard was a sizeable signing when he arrived (£18m fee, Belgian PotY and golden boot) so has a pretty decent contract
  • Running it down, although not as lucrative as renewing won't have as big an impact as with Mac Allister because...
  • Mac Allister was a relative youngster and more of a risk so his wages would have been much lower than our established first teamers
  • His new contract was as much about getting him on fairer terms commensurate with his place in the team as much as securing him long term and as such was more mutually beneficial

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here