Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trivia Question

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
I think New Brighton or something similar were a team from the Merseyside area who played in the league beginning of the last century.

I'm probably wrong!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
East Brighton Football Club:jester:

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
Seagullmatt said:
I think New Brighton or something similar were a team from the Merseyside area who played in the league beginning of the last century.

I'm probably wrong!

Close enough. New Brighton tower was their full name and I think they played 3 years in the original second division at the turn of the century.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Twas New Brighton. Played in the league until 1951 and were by and large utter shite. Once played an FA cup 4th round game against Spurs. They also hold the record for the oldest player in league history when their manager had to go in goal during an injury crisis. I think he was about 54.
Were replaced by Workington (great swap) and currently ply their trade in the Cheshire League.
Nickname = The Rakers (because their ground was called Rake Lane)

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Not strictly true.

New Brighton certainly played in the league 1923-51 in Division 3 North, but a different club called New Brighton Tower also played in Division 2 at the end of the 19th century, before going bust.

Anorak time, I think.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
New Brighton played in Div 3 North and we played in Div 3 South so I don't think we ever met.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here