Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Iceland

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Forgot to mention......A trip to one of Reykjavik's outdoor geothermal swimming pools is a must. Really cheap too

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Lovely city goodnightlife shut's at 1am Sunday to Thursday ,Friday and Saturday game on to 6am .3 pubs for you Kaffibarrin ,Vegamot and Islenki Barrin.Blue Lagoon a must as is Videy Island catch the small ferry from Rekjavik .The Hot Dogs:clap2:Football will be on plenty of ground's around the capital.Just be aware of Pint size female American Comedian's mistaking you for a drug dealer and trying to score off of you.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Yep another one who loved Iceland, not much to add except Reykjavik is very small you can walk from one end to the other and the girls are absolutely wild Friday and Saturday nights. Also the spectacular Hallgrímskirkja offers great views of the city and try the Brennivín its basically a vodka snapps with herbs in and quite drinkable.
Try Brennivin with hakari which is fermented rotten shark that is an experience.

I seem to remember it has a nice pond in the middle of town with ducks on it, with a comfy library really nearby that sells cakes !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One of the most amazing countries I've been to, absolutely loved it. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Sitting in the Blue Lagoon with a glass of wine in hand while the sun sets over the surrounding lava fields is one of the best experiences ever. Yes, it's man made, but the setting is beautiful & there's a bar in the middle of the lagoon where you can get drinks using your wristband. It's so relaxing you don't even care how much you're paying for it.

Also recommend the Golden Triangle, ice climbing on one of the glaciers, and booking a trip to one of the volcanic areas- best bit was bathing in a stunning geothermally heated mountain stream while the air temperature was about 4C outside.

Cheapest eats in town are the hot dogs from the stall by the harbour. Bill Clinton & others have eaten there so they come highly recommended :thumbsup:

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I went in April 1999. Frozen waterfalls (Gullfoss) the most beautiful place I've ever been to, but ridiculously cold. Drove east one day, discovered the seaside village of Vik, quite eery and trailer-park-ish, with pretty church and moody waves crashing on the beach. Returned to Reykjavik to discover a foot of snow had fallen. Eating and drinking out very expensive, and quite challenging as a committed vegetarian. And I got stopped for speeding, as some of the main roads are just gravel and the speed limit is sometimes very low. But overall I loved the place.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Been there 5 times and going again next year (probably twice!)
As well as the places already mentioned it would be well worth checking out the Westman Islands (ferry there and back in a day). Also if you don't mind a bit of a drive the Vatnajokull national park and the glacial lake in front of it (not even going to try spelling it!) are amazing. On the lake in summer you can take a boat trip through the icebergs whilst watching seals swimming around you.
Also in summer I can highly recommend a whale watching trip form Reykjavik - great chance of seeing lots at that time of year.
The coastal scenery near Vik is also pretty spectacular.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Thinking about going this year to see the Northern lights. Is it better to go in Feb or wait until later in the year?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've researched this, and yes February this year is a great time to go. I'm flying out for the first time on Friday 28th February for a four day break.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I've researched this, and yes February this year is a great time to go. I'm flying out for the first time on Friday 28th February for a four day break.

Did you book a package (no pun intended) or did you sort out your own flight and hotel?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Did you book a package (no pun intended) or did you sort out your own flight and hotel?

Booked through Expedia paid £648 for two people staying at the Grand Hotel for three nights. I could have got it considerably cheaper but the flight times were awful and would have badly cut into the trip duration so paid more. Just read through the posts sounds amazing, and I'll try and squeeze in as much as possible.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you like sea angling the fishing is wonderful apparently.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just got back from a long w/e. Fantastic place to visit. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone looking for something a bit different. From bathing in the middle of nowhere in a hot river, to the Blue Lagoon, to the Golden Circle of sights, amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here