Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling.

BHACole17

Feb 5, 2012
I am due to go travelling alone in early january. It will be my first time travelling so trying to get as much info as possible. I am mainly travelling within asia and have already pre planned alot of what I want to do and see by research but in some places I dont have alot planned. So I thought I would ask the great people of North Stand Chat.

I have 2 weeks to get from Bangkok to Singapore. I know this isnt a massive ammount of time but I was thinking of maybe visiting one of the island maybe Ko phangan? Then hopefully visiting Penang and Kuala Lumpar. I wanted to go to Phuket but the reviews sound awful! Any other recomendations would be much appreciated.

I also have 2 weeks in Goa but do not have any plans of where to stay or what to do whilst there so any information would be great!

Any other travelling tips would also be helpfull. I would rather stay away from the ladyboys aswell!!!

Thanks!

Happy Christmas!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
This is just for Thailand, I can't say much for Kuala Lumpur as I don't really like it. Singapore is nice but extremely limited.

Do:
Get Bangkok over and done with. 24 hours max, do your shopping, don't buy too much.
1st Class Sleeper Train or VIP bus down to Suratthanim and ferry over to either Koh Phangan (party and booze) or Koh Tao (snorkelling & quieter beaches).
Whilst on the islands, try out a day or 2 day trip to Ang Thong marine park (where the Beach was set). Camp over night if possible.
Khao Sok - Floating Bungalows
Complete miss out Phuket, it's f***ing horrendous.
Phi Phi is ok, if you insist on doing it, go from Krabi or preferably, Ao-Nang. Stay in Ao-Nang for a night or 2.

Don't Do:
Ladyboy's or Ping Pong shows, both hugely over-rated
Bangkok for very long
Koh Samui
Phuket
Drugs
'organised tourist trips' - nearly everything can be done by yourself without the need for travel agencies taking 25% commission.

Consider with Caution:
Tiger Temple - Kanchanaburi. Extremely busy and hurried. I would skip this, however others love it.
Chang Mai - Magnificent, however weigh up whether you are willing to sacrifice extra travel time.
Ayutthaya - More for the History and architect nerds! Nice place but I'm more of a beach bum.

-- I'm sure many people will both agree and disagree with the above, Remember, it's all down to each individuals personal experiences. I worked there for 6 months as a tour guide for backpackers, so consider my advise! :thumbsup:

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Whatever you do, avoid phuket! Over filled with middle aged Russians and over keen horrendous looking Thai hookers starving for british willy! Bangkok is good but in small dosages, the humidity will get you eventually. There are some good Tiger temples and elephant riding just north of bangkok which you can easily arrange from most hostels. Koh phangan for the full moon party, but after that it's pretty dead there. Go Koh Phi Phi if you like a party and a serious amount of booze, then this is the place to go, all with like minded, similar aged travelers like yourself and up for it western birds! (just don't stay in tree house bungalows, the mosquito's will bite you to death)! Plus you can go where The Beach was filmed, fantastic and beautiful!

Kuala Lumpa is good, but don't stay there for more than 5 days, due to humidity and not too many things to do. Singapore is great, really modern city, and SO hygienic compared to the other cities in asia. Universal studio's are a must, plus its rude not to do a singapore sling.

Source for all this...went there myself earlier in the year. Hope the info helps.

BHACole17

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for that information and if you worked there for 6 months then I think I will take your word for it. I was really looking forward to Phuket but I havnt heard one good review about it! Not sure If you would know anything about the trains but I dont know if to be book reservations before I leave or just turn up at the station and try and get transport? I was going to try and attend a full moon party whilst I was there but I miss it by a few days. Is there smaller parties on the islands inbetween times? Thanks again.

BHACole17

Feb 5, 2012
Thanks for the advice maxnug! Im going to try and party a bit whilst im out there, I wont be young forever! Staying away from any drugs though as I have heard some horror stories or people ending up in prison over there for tiny ammounts of drugs. Just been doing some research into Koh Phi Phi and it looks wonderfull. Is transport to Koh Phi Phi easy to find?. I didnt realise they had a universal studios in Singapore so thats something else I will be doing on my tour. Thanks again.

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah stay away from the drugs, the police are in with the dealers as well so people can easily be set up, especially at the full moon party.

The best way to get to phi phi is to get the train to the closest station (can't remember off the top of my head, sorry), and then get a bus to Krabi (about 3 hrs long). I'd stay in Krabi for a night or 2 as its a really nice place with beautiful beaches. Then from Krabi get a short ferry ride to Koh Phi Phi and thats when the fun will commence. You'll easily find accommodation when you arrive as well.

I also noticed that StonehamPark said to avoid ping pong shows. I'd say do it for sure, it might not be the highlight of your life but it certainly will entertain you and you wont see anything like that again (plus they give you a ping pong bat to smack the ball back at them lol)!

Also whatever you do, take plenty of insect repellent. The mosquito's are a major ball-ache over there!

As for Kuala lumpa go to their major shopping mall. It has a Theme Park inside it (need i say more)?!? and its very cheap to go on it, so would be rude not to do it. Also go Bukit Bin Tang (100% misspelt). There is this little area there with a few bars, all undercover, but still outside where you can have a few beers at a reasonable price and they always without fail play the footy there. It was one of my favourite bits of Kuala lumpa just because of its chilled out vibe.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Will check with the misses and find out she knows her stuff having lived in Thailand for two years and traveled Asia extensively.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Thanks for that information and if you worked there for 6 months then I think I will take your word for it. I was really looking forward to Phuket but I havnt heard one good review about it! Not sure If you would know anything about the trains but I dont know if to be book reservations before I leave or just turn up at the station and try and get transport? I was going to try and attend a full moon party whilst I was there but I miss it by a few days. Is there smaller parties on the islands inbetween times? Thanks again.

No worries at all. As you would be getting 1st or 2nd class sleeper trains, they book up fairly quickly so for this exception, it is best to book at your hostel reception in BKK the second you arrive.

Full Moon party on Phangan is a little over-rated, far too crowded. The party beach has everything going on every night of the week. When moving to Phangan, head to Haad Rin but stay around 'Sunset Beach', the other side of the main beach and an easy 10 minute walk through the small town. Check out Coral Bungalows for the pool parties (although don't physically stay here overnight).

Also whilst your at Koh Phangan, get on a boat to Koh Tao for a bit more of a relaxed atmosphere. Just be prepared at every island dock, flocks of touts are trying to sell you their hostels and trips. Just ignore, don't make eye contact and move on quickly.
Miss out Koh Samui, I'll be blunt, it's a waste of time, just as Phuket.

Any other questions, add them to this thread and I'll have an answer for you!
Also, buy a Lonely Planet guide from 2008 onwards.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Are you going to Goa in early January or after SE Asia? A word of warning, it may be very busy in early Jan!

In Goa it's well worth checking out the state capital, Panaji/Panjim. Lots of great restaurants at a fraction of the (already cheap) price on the coast. The Fontainhas area has excellent colonial architecture.

A lot of Goan beaches have been taken over by package tourists, especially in the North. I'd recommend going to Palolem in South Goa. The beach is stunning and there is plenty of cheap beach hut accomodation, bars and restaurants. 10 minutes walk from Palolem is another great beach, Patnem. A little quieter than Palolem but still a good amount of food and drink options.
Agonda and Cola are also worth thinking about if you want something even more chilled.

Are you going anywhere else in India? A few days in Hampi is well worth the journey- it's about 7 hours from Goa.

BHACole17

Feb 5, 2012
I will be in Goa mid-end january so hopefully it might have calmed down a little by then. I am starting in Delhi and then working my way down to Goa but I have booked this tour with STA travel as I got told India could be a daunting country if visiting for the first time. I will be on my own in Goa for a couple of weeks so that information will come in good use.

Thanks everyone for all the information, I did have a look on travel forums but couldnt really get the answers i was looking to get. Seems like some people on here are well travelled and know what there talking about.

Hopefully by the time I get home Brighton will be in a play off position and Charlie Austin will be the clubs top goal scorer.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Towards the end of Jan it should've quietened down a bit. Christmas and New year is the real peak season.

India can be a bit daunting for first timers- the hassle and conmen can be overwhelming. You soon get used to it though. Goa's very chilled compared to Rajasthan so a good place to start going solo. Have a good one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here