Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling Croatia - advice please

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm looking at potentially travelling through Croatia in the summer with a couple of others. Wondered if anyone had done anything similar and whether they could spare some advice.

From what I have heard, the coast of Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik are the best places to visit. Has anyone been to these places and elsewhere?

Currently looking at Flying to Zagreb, staying a few days and then making the trip down to the coast (perhaps through Karlovac) and into Split. From there visit Hvar, and then onto Dubrovnik before finishing in Pag (an island near Zadar) where we will meet other friends for a weeks holiday.

Just really not sure how long to stay at each place etc.

Thanks

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I have managed to fly pretty cheaply with BA into Split a couple of times and would recommend if booking early> The Dalmatian coast is beautiful, many small fishing villages (stayed in place called Pisak able to dive in sea from garden) and some larger towns like Omis / Makarska there is a good bus service up and down this coast, just go explore. If you want somewhere a bit lively prob worth spending few days in Makarska (you can catch ferry to Brac from here)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The Dalmatian coast is truly stunning and you'll have an awesome time. I've been to Dubrovnik, Hvar, Split, Pula and Zagreb and loved them all. Admittedly Zagreb is hardly pretty but it does have a good nightlife and still represents great value for money.

When doing the coastline I'd say the places you want to spend most of your time are Split and Dubrovnik (unsurprisingly). And of the two I actually preferred Split. It's a bigger city with more to do. Whilst the old town of Dubrovnik is gorgeous, the rest of the city is fairly uninteresting so I'd say you can get everything done within two days. Between Split and Dubrovnik are several reasonably priced ferry services, most run by the state owned operator Jadrolinija. If you get the chance take the trip at a leisurely pace on the slower, bigger ferries. These are very comfortable, with bars and open sun decks which are ever so pleasant when the sun is out (almost always in Croatia). The speedier hydrofoils will get you around quicker but are more like travelling on a bus. You're stuck in a seat for the duration with nowt to do but entertain yourself.

Hvar is a cracking little island and Hvar Town itself is beautiful. You can see why so many of the world's super wealthy have got homes there (Madonna and Bill Gates to name but two). South of there is the island of Korcula, which is also well worth a visit. Korcula Town is like a mini Dubrovnik with its stunningly preserved old town jutting out into the Adriatic on a small peninsular. Relaxed and friendly, it's a tourist hot spot in the summer months, yet still retains its charm.

You also mentioned Karlovac, which I've not been to. However, as it's the home to the delicious Karlovacko beer, I'd say that's reason enough to go there. If you do go, come back tell us what it's like.

I think the other island of note in that area is Brac, but I've not been there sadly. If it's anywhere near as beautiful as the rest of the Adriatic however then it'll be well worth a visit.

My top tip is to buy the beers (Ozujsko, Karlovacko and Pan are all delicious) in bottles because the draught beer is often watered down and doesn't work out cheaper anyway. I'd also highly recommend a visit to the little town of Orebic which is on the Peljesac peninsular, part of the mainland, if you are going to do Korcula. It's a short cheap ferry ride away (about 15 minutes for around £2 as I recall) and there's a restaurant there which is out of this world.

Also, be sure to dine on the local delicacy of black squid or cuttlefish risotto. Doesn't sound special but it really really is. If you're into seafood you're in for a treat because it's served in abundance everywhere and costs far less than we pay for it over here.

If you need anymore tips or advice, drop me a PM. I'm a massive Croatia fan and can GUARANTEE you'll love it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Dalmatian coast is good in some parts but not so good in others - a bit spotty, I suppose you could say.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Scrap your itinerary and start again: Fly into Pula, drive the short distance to Porec (SO beautiful), then drive down the coast to Korcula and Rovinj, stay there for a bit then onto Hvar. All these are beautiful, it's all you need to see in Croatia!!!!!

Actually Dubrovniks worth a look too thinking about it.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I'm looking at potentially travelling through Croatia in the summer with a couple of others. Wondered if anyone had done anything similar and whether they could spare some advice.

From what I have heard, the coast of Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik are the best places to visit. Has anyone been to these places and elsewhere?

Currently looking at Flying to Zagreb, staying a few days and then making the trip down to the coast (perhaps through Karlovac) and into Split. From there visit Hvar, and then onto Dubrovnik before finishing in Pag (an island near Zadar) where we will meet other friends for a weeks holiday.

Just really not sure how long to stay at each place etc.

Thanks

are you paying for this with your professional gambling career winnings :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here