Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling advice - South America & then onto Oz.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all,

Due to recent events in my life that have dramatically changed, my outlook has changed for what I want going forward & fancy going to do something that I've always wanted to do & go travelling before it's too late.

Now the plan is to go to South America, not 100% sure of exactly which countries as of yet but S.A is getting the vote. Planning on doing about 3 months travelling around and then onto Oz to do some fruit picking work to top my money up and then tour around Oz.

Anyone done South America semi recently?

If so, how much did you spend?

I'm looking at about 5k but that will have to have flights out of that so prob about 3.5k to travel with.

Cheers

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Can give you all the info in the world about working/backpacking in Aus. What would you like to know?

Well Oz is the after thought but plan on getting to oz July ish time & will proberly have to go more or less straight into work.

Is it a place worth back packing around? Is Fruit picking worth while? I've heard some hostel owners/farmers make you work for small amounts

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was in SA in 2008/9. Your budget will really depend on which countries you go to. Bolivia's probably the cheapest- £15 a day is OK. More like £30 in Brazil. Of course, wherever you go you can spend very little or a lot, it depends what you're doing.

ps. I think you're over-budgeting for the flights. Should be able to get them for cheaper than £1500.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hi all,

Due to recent events in my life that have dramatically changed, my outlook has changed for what I want going forward & fancy going to do something that I've always wanted to do & go travelling before it's too late.

Now the plan is to go to South America, not 100% sure of exactly which countries as of yet but S.A is getting the vote. Planning on doing about 3 months travelling around and then onto Oz to do some fruit picking work to top my money up and then tour around Oz.

Anyone done South America semi recently?

If so, how much did you spend?

I'm looking at about 5k but that will have to have flights out of that so prob about 3.5k to travel with.

Cheers

5k wont get you far in Oz, it is ridiculously expensive over there these days. South America is fantastic, far, far better than Oz in my opinion. If you are short of cash then avoid Brazil and Chile and do the cheaper countries (Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Uruguay). Argentina was my favourite by miles, then Brazil. To be honest they're all amazing.

Travelling as a couple, we spent 18K, but that was for 6 months and included South East Asia, Hong Kong and Australia as well. And we did splash out a few times. You should be able to get by on a grand a month in South America easily enough.

Whatever you do, make sure you take in a game out there. Boca makes away games at the New Den seem like a Sunday morning kids game. English football has never felt the same since I went there.

You'll be able to find work in Oz easily enough, I did the whole fruit picking thing and loved it, although that was in NZ rather than Oz. But South America is so much better, you should spend as much time there as you possibly can, then go to Oz once you need to work.

And if you have a credit card then make sure you take in the Galapagos Islands. I only finished paying mine off from it last year, and I wouldn't care if I was still paying it off in ten years, it would have been worth every penny.

PM me if you want any help with anything.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
5k wont get you far in Oz, it is ridiculously expensive over there these days. South America is fantastic, far, far better than Oz in my opinion. If you are short of cash then avoid Brazil and Chile and do the cheaper countries (Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Uruguay). Argentina was my favourite by miles, then Brazil. To be honest they're all amazing.

Travelling as a couple, we spent 18K, but that was for 6 months and included South East Asia, Hong Kong and Australia as well. And we did splash out a few times. You should be able to get by on a grand a month in South America easily enough.

Whatever you do, make sure you take in a game out there. Boca makes away games at the New Den seem like a Sunday morning kids game. English football has never felt the same since I went there.

You'll be able to find work in Oz easily enough, I did the whole fruit picking thing and loved it, although that was in NZ rather than Oz. But South America is so much better, you should spend as much time there as you possibly can, then go to Oz once you need to work.

And if you have a credit card then make sure you take in the Galapagos Islands. I only finished paying mine off from it last year, and I wouldn't care if I was still paying it off in ten years, it would have been worth every penny.

PM me if you want any help with anything.

Thanks for that mate, great reply.

I may have a little bit more cash, just depends on a few things but I cant see it being anymore than 4k to live off.

Im planning on going around March, will the weather be favourable?

So it's expensive to take in the galapagos?

I quite fancy spending a fair amount of time in the Amazon and doing jungle stuff, did you do much of that?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Before it's too late? How old are you?

28 mate but want to go to oz before I'm 30 and defo want kids etc in the future and if i get involved with anyone again i'll end up not going so times a-ticking!

cjt_27

May 12, 2009
Brighton
Amazing part of the world. i was studying in Buenos Aires for a year last year and managed to get around to a lot of the other countries while I was out there. I loved everywhere I went basically! But Argentina, Colombia and Brazil were my favourites. Brazil is by far the most expensive country and Bolivia the cheapest. Really depends on what you do and how prudent you are so difficult to advise on how much money you need.

Galapagos are something I really have to go to one day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here