Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travellers heading to the UK will now have to have a Covid test before their departure

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
(Just posting this here temporarily in case it affects anyone about to travel anywhere. I'll nudge over to the Covid sub-forum in due course.)

Travellers heading to the UK will now have to have a Covid test before their departure in effort to limit spread of the virus, government has announced.

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said the tightened requirements will come into force from 04:00 on Tuesday.

Travellers will be required to submit evidence of a negative lateral flow or PCR test to enter.​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59534685

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Obviously.
But why Tuesday, do it now.
So why did they say previously that they need to be tested after 2 days, allowing them to use public transport and all sorts.
Maybe some Tories were abroad and needed to get home.
This should have been laid down as soon as we knew about the new variant.
I really struggle to understand what is going on in the head of Johnson and ministers.
Mistake after mistake since Covid was first discovered in China, killing thousands unnecessarily.
No lessons learnt, but I am sure they are working extremely hard.
This Government is so weak and pathetic with zero leadership.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Shouldn’t have had to implement as it should always have been in place - Libertarianism leading to deaths

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not sure how different that is from before? We spent two weeks in France in September, required a negative test 48 hours before returning, so went to the pharmacy, and paid 29€. We had to show the printout along with our PLF on return.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I’m not sure how different that is from before? We spent two weeks in France in September, required a negative test 48 hours before returning, so went to the pharmacy, and paid 29€. We had to show the printout along with our PLF on return.

Its same as before, gone backwards again.

Ive been to seven countries in four months and haven’t done a single test (i live in Germany)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What about caravan travellers

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

It depends on different circumstances. I wanted to travel from here ( France) to the UK for a four day visit, to see my children, extended family, friends and a couple of visits to the pub, a visit to the Amex and xmas shopping... ( the UK does Xmas so much better than here...lol..!).

If I visit now, the day I arrive I have to go straight into isolation. The next day is counted as Isolation Day 1. The folllowing day, Isolation Day 2...take PCR test...and wait. The next day, still isolated and awaiting result of Day 2 test. The next day, hopefully at some stage I will receive my test result. I was going to fly back here that evening.

Five days in total and only allowed out to go to the airport to get on my returning flight.

It is what it is, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously.
But why Tuesday, do it now.
So why did they say previously that they need to be tested after 2 days, allowing them to use public transport and all sorts.
Maybe some Tories were abroad and needed to get home.
This should have been laid down as soon as we knew about the new variant.
I really struggle to understand what is going on in the head of Johnson and ministers.
Mistake after mistake since Covid was first discovered in China, killing thousands unnecessarily.
No lessons learnt, but I am sure they are working extremely hard.
This Government is so weak and pathetic with zero leadership.

Just like the travel restrictions over the new South African variant - they came in with a delay and, guess, what? We now have the SA variant.

It's almost like they do it on purpose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s actually because you need a sitting of parliament/the HOL to pass legislation so you need a minimum of 24 hours notice to invoke the law Into being.

I'm sure there are ways round this. If Russian nukes were launched would we have to wait 24h before declaring war ourselves?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I spent a week in France at the end of Oct and didn't have to do any test at all to return (as I'm double vaccinated UK citizen). Just had to do a day 2 test after I got back. This is because the requirements were eased around the autumn half term.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Can’t see why some are complaining about this ?
Travel sector bosses saying it’s devastating news ? Why ?
I went to fueteventura in September had to do a pre departure test and a day 2 test on my return.
Did I ever think about cancelling my holiday because of this ?? NO !!
In fact I was glad for the peace of mind that I hadn’t caught COVID and wasn’t going to be on a plane full of possible infected people !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just a cautious and sensible stepping back whilst we wait to understand the seriousness of the new variant….slight delay in implementation as otherwise anyone travelling imminently might have trouble getting a test.

Had to do this in September (and had planned to again in October but the rules changed literally the day we returned on 4/10). No big deal really. For the one we had to do, ordered self-testing kits and took them with us (discounted by the tour operator - think they were £20 each) and got the negative proof certification back instantly after uploading a picture of the cartridge.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It depends on different circumstances. I wanted to travel from here ( France) to the UK for a four day visit, to see my children, extended family, friends and a couple of visits to the pub, a visit to the Amex and xmas shopping... ( the UK does Xmas so much better than here...lol..!).

If I visit now, the day I arrive I have to go straight into isolation. The next day is counted as Isolation Day 1. The folllowing day, Isolation Day 2...take PCR test...and wait. The next day, still isolated and awaiting result of Day 2 test. The next day, hopefully at some stage I will receive my test result. I was going to fly back here that evening.

Five days in total and only allowed out to go to the airport to get on my returning flight.

It is what it is, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Take the PCR on arrival ? We did PCRs at Expresstest at Gatwick at 6pm and had the results within a few hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here