Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel vouchers... actually worth getting?

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I plan on getting the 'S' bus this season from Shoreham to The Amex so will need to go out and buy myself a booklet of vouchers (it makes financial sense at the price). I have no problem doing this and planned to get them tomorrow but I am put off by the fact that bus drivers, train conductors are reportedly letting us on by just showing our season-ticket smart cards, hence making the £30 outlay pretty pointless right now and meaning other punters are getting something you are paying for for free.

I thought they would be very strict on this (as they are on Park & Ride) and that travel would be denied if you didn't have the relevant voucher. Is it really as easy as rocking on with your ST? A few pals of mine are saying the drivers are quite laid back and as long as you show your season-ticket then you'll have no problems?!

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I heard that it was not being enforced because the club hadn't sent out all the travel vouchers yet, but that it would be enforced starting from the Blackpool game. Saying that, I still haven't received my book of travel vouchers. :shrug:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Personally I think it's worth getting them. Eventually (the club say in a few weeks time) the bus and train companies will wise up and start asking for the vouchers. I use mine on the train and at the P&R and think that £1 per game for these is good value. There's also the part of me that says that even if I can travel from West Worthing to Falmer without a train ticket, really I should buy one. If you see a newspaper for sale outside a shop do you take it because you can or do you pay? For me using the bus, train or P&R without buying the vouchers is little more than theft/fare dodging

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i bought the vouchers and wasnt asked to show anything from haywards heath stopping at lewes for a couple pints then on to falmer. this was the same on the way home. the barriers were evenopen at haywards heath which they often arent. my dad is going on sat so looked into buses for him and if he should get a one off travel voucher for it. on the brighton and hove bus website it says this.

"Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days, and your match ticket gives you free travel on all these buses."

its not really that clear is it

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I agree Spiros but if 50% of the people who had that newspaper got it for free, it would change many a persons opinion. I plan on buying the vouchers, just trying to find out and gauge opinion.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not going to get them, I already have bus pass and I'll probably end up with a train ticket to cover it as well when I get a job.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Checking will start at the Blackpool game. I think this hasn't happened so far because they were trying to get an idea of numbers that would use the different travel models . that should have settled down to a more recognisable pattern by the Blackpool game

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
i bought the vouchers and wasnt asked to show anything from haywards heath stopping at lewes for a couple pints then on to falmer. this was the same on the way home. the barriers were evenopen at haywards heath which they often arent. my dad is going on sat so looked into buses for him and if he should get a one off travel voucher for it. on the brighton and hove bus website it says this.

"Brighton & Hove Buses is pleased to be providing a network of bus routes serving the Amex Stadium on match days, and your match ticket gives you free travel on all these buses."

its not really that clear is it

which is true if you have a paper match ticket which has travel vouchers attached to it when you buy it.. but season tickets are now plastic smartcards rather than books of tickets and don't have the travel voucher included, so STHs' need to either purchase a travel voucher from the club or pay the full whack for travel to and from the stadium

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I would say get them, 100%. All day long! For the following....

- If you only attend 15 home games all season then it works out as £1 each way in what is a very generous sized travel zone.
- You dont have to queue to get tickets on the day.
- Your travel for the season is sorted in one phone call. More money for beer!

I don't like this attitude of "they aren't checking them so I'm not buying them". All that means is that you are mugging the club off.

I would say get them, 100%. All day long! For the following....

- If you only attend 15 home games all season then it works out as £1 each way in what is a very generous sized travel zone.
- You dont have to queue to get tickets on the day.
- Your travel for the season is sorted in one phone call. More money for beer!

I don't like this attitude of "they aren't checking them so I'm not buying them". All that means is that you are mugging the club off.

I thought if you hand the ticket over the club got charged, so always try not to give it up.

This may be a load of bollocks though.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Checking will start at the Blackpool game. I think this hasn't happened so far because they were trying to get an idea of numbers that would use the different travel models . that should have settled down to a more recognisable pattern by the Blackpool game

Best they send them out then!

I have paid for 2 books, and not yet received them.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Best they send them out then!

I have paid for 2 books, and not yet received them.

Same here - allegedly sent out end of July but never appeared. The club are relying on an external company to do the distribution and that seems to be the problem. I'll need to either wait in the phone queue or make a trip to the stadium to get replacements

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
How far out can the travel vouchers be used. I'm getting the train in from Rye, would the vouchers be of any benefit to me at all?

I think the edge of the travel zone for rail to the east is seaford, so you would need to buy a ticket from Rye to Seaford and then use the travel voucher for the remainder of the journey.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
Same here - allegedly sent out end of July but never appeared. The club are relying on an external company to do the distribution and that seems to be the problem. I'll need to either wait in the phone queue or make a trip to the stadium to get replacements

Well judging by the amount of people who report getting twice as many books as they originally ordered I would suggest yours were sent out . . . just to someone else instead!

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
I think the edge of the travel zone for rail to the east is seaford, so you would need to buy a ticket from Rye to Seaford and then use the travel voucher for the remainder of the journey.

Thanks for the info.

With a rail card it is only costing me a little over £10 for both myself and son for return tickets. It's a hell of a lot easier (not to mention cheaper) than driving down and using the park and ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here