Travel Subsidy - dead man walking?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I've thought that too. If, say, 12,000 use public transport and we hand £1m (which people seem to think is the correct figure) to the bus and train companies at, say, £6 a time (the bus fare is £4.70 in Brighton alone, trains are more expensive). That's £72,000 a game, about £1.66m - so the transport companies are losing out.

It's interesting that there's a general belief that the train companies wouldn't be able to collect tickets on the day but I'm sure that cup matches don't include the free travel. And the World Cup matches this autumn (maximum attendances) certainly didn't include them - yet the train companies seemed to cope adequately
Two things: Firstly the trains are not necessarily more expensive. It's about £3.40 (from memory) from Brighton or London Road to Falmer and back, and £4.70 by bus. Secondly (and you perhaps didn't mean to include me but I'll answer as if you did) I didn't say that the travel companies "wouldn't be able" to check tickets, they obviously could. My point is that it would make the 'travel experience' a lot worse and for the less-committed and the flakey part-timers (like me) when you're weighing up if you want to spend a Saturday afternoon at a football match it's another cross in the debit column. Certainly I wouldn't pay the extortionate Brighton bus fare,

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
It was £30 (£15 for concessions).

Im pretty sure it was £30 in the 1st year when we had the option of buying vouchers, but went up to £50 when they included it as part of the season ticket for the 2nd season.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Im pretty sure it was £30 in the 1st year when we had the option of buying vouchers, but went up to £50 when they included it as part of the season ticket for the 2nd season.

Saturday March 10 2012 - Season ticket prices frozen unless Albion go up

However, all season ticket holders will have to pay an extra £30 per adult per season by way of a transport levy which is being reintroduced.

The levy covers 23 league games, with the extra charge for concessions being £15 for under-18s and over-65s.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Saturday February 23 2013 - Albion season ticket prices going up

The travel subsidy for using public transport is also going up by £20 to £50 for adults and from £15 to £25 for concessions.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I believe it is part of the planning permission so I don't see how it can be stored. However, the price for us can go up year on year but at some point they would have to stop otherwise it would be cheaper to buy your own ticket!

The other option is, if you live outside BN1, you pay a transport fee inside you don't. Problem with that is they could end up with 20000 STHs all suddenly living at the same address in Moulscombe! Lol

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
....But the travel sub at 1Ml losses per season cannot include any extra tickets sold or maintained because of it.If the attendances were not affected if it was scraped then ,at some stage the club will try and rid themselves of it.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The club could apply to remove the requirement, and if this was refused they would have a right of appeal.

They are choosing not to do this.

They added a £50 levy to season tickets after the 1st season at the Amex

Saturday February 23 2013 -

The travel subsidy for using public transport is also going up by £20 to £50 for adults and from £15 to £25 for concessions.

I'm confused. A levy is the opposite of a subsidy. What are we talking about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports