Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Travel programs

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Any recommendations?

From adventure ones to gentle canal / rail journeys. Anyone seen anything that might not have been as well publicised as the more well known ones?…

Cheers.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Travel Man is always fun, and Amazing Hotels is a good watch albeit focused on a different hotel/resort each episode. Not watched it yet but The Reluctant Traveller on Apple TV+ looks very interesting - Eugene Levy, who apparently doesn't like travelling/holidays, goes to different locations (helped no doubt by a healthy wage to do so!). Think there's 8 episodes.

I do miss the Judith Chalmers type travel shows (Holiday [year] I think it was called). I was once at Gatwick South, when they'd done a full refurb of the Duty Free/Food area, and she was up on a balcony trying to do an intro piece to camera. They were clearly watching closely from security/customer services or whatever, as every time she started her welcome, they did a loud BING BONG and an inconsequential announcement. All perfectly timed and very, very funny - she was getting SO pissed off!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The ‘48 hours in……’ series’s were always quite informative, but I despise Joe Lycett so that’s off these days.
Yes, I think he does Travel Man now too? Cannot stand him either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Travel Man is always fun, and Amazing Hotels is a good watch albeit focused on a different hotel/resort each episode. Not watched it yet but The Reluctant Traveller on Apple TV+ looks very interesting - Eugene Levy, who apparently doesn't like travelling/holidays, goes to different locations (helped no doubt by a healthy wage to do so!). Think there's 8 episodes.

I do miss the Judith Chalmers type travel shows (Holiday [year] I think it was called). I was once at Gatwick South, when they'd done a full refurb of the Duty Free/Food area, and she was up on a balcony trying to do an intro piece to camera. They were clearly watching closely from security/customer services or whatever, as every time she started her welcome, they did a loud BING BONG and an inconsequential announcement. All perfectly timed and very, very funny - she was getting SO pissed off!
Wish You Were Here, was the name of Ms. Chalmers travel series for ITV.

The BBC equivalent was Holiday, (followed by the applicable year). hosted by the likes of Cliff Michelmore, and John Carter.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Any recommendations?

From adventure ones to gentle canal / rail journeys. Anyone seen anything that might not have been as well publicised as the more well known ones?…

Cheers.
If you're really open for anything travel related, try reading some of the travel threads on here :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This popped up on my feed a moment ago. I really liked the first few series.
As someone who is planning to move onto the water in the next 5 years ( if the waterways are still safe for humans to be near 😟) , it’s informative and interesting.

E71A40E4-3CF0-4658-BA4A-7A480A8ABDA1.jpeg

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just watching The World's Most Dangerous Roads on Dave which is quite good fun, and very scenic. They pair a couple of comedians to drive in inhospitable places in a 4x4.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anything from Simon Reeve on the BBC iplayer, very good.
Bizarrely, when he was packed off to South America, they somehow forgot about Colombia! o_O

I mean, Cumbia alone puts Colombia top of my list bucket list for starters, that's without the stunning eco systems and wildlife.

Bizarre decision on the part of the BBC there.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Been meaning to post this for a couple of days (currently, ironically for this thread, travelling!) but pretty much any of the many series that Michael Palin has done. His most recent one about visiting North Korea is very interesting.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This popped up on my feed a moment ago. I really liked the first few series.
As someone who is planning to move onto the water in the next 5 years ( if the waterways are still safe for humans to be near 😟) , it’s informative and interesting.

View attachment 159325
I enjoyed that too. Had my first experience of narrow boating on the Wey Navigation last summer, pub to pub at three miles an hour. Now that's my sort of pace.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bizarrely, when he was packed off to South America, they somehow forgot about Colombia! o_O

I mean, Cumbia alone puts Colombia top of my list bucket list for starters, that's without the stunning eco systems and wildlife.

Bizarre decision on the part of the BBC there.
Colombia, famous for it's eco systems, wild life and . . . drugs.

But yes, a facinating series l agree.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's a lot of travel stuff buried on Channel 5's back catalogue including some lesser-known Palin series.

It can be a bit of a faff to find them on 5s own player, so I find it best to try and find them on the web and then you can search 5 directly for the name.

Maybe start here: channel 5 travel shows

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Increasingly though I find YouTube the place to go although, again, it can be tricky finding good stuff natively, so search online first and then head to it directly.

I'm quite into American road trips, and US stuff generally.

Through a Lens has some great stuff > https://www.youtube.com/c/ThroughMyLens

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There's a lot of travel stuff buried on Channel 5's back catalogue including some lesser-known Palin series.

It can be a bit of a faff to find them on 5s own player, so I find it best to try and find them on the web and then you can search 5 directly for the name.

Maybe start here: channel 5 travel shows
For me, Reeve is the modern man's Palin, seems prepared to ask the searching questions than Michael Palin isn't.

I enjoy both very much though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here