Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transfer window.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The way I see it ...

I think we'll make at least one major sale in January

In terms of players in ....

Goalie still looks a risk to me. The fact that Steele was below Button as 2nd choice when he was here, combined with some very mixed cup performances says to me, we've been pushing our luck, and to be fair getting away with it, for a while. If Rushworth or Scherpen won't be ready to put serious pressure on Bob in the next 12 months, I think we should buy someone in.

RB. Fine

CB. If Van Hecke was going to make it, he'd have featured this season. We can't get Colwill almost certainly. Webby misses a lot of football. No academy players hammering on the door. Veltman and Dunk priceless to us. A LCB is our most likely signing. I don't think we'll wait till summer

Left Back again looks like a risk. We're fine as long as Pervis stays fit etc, but I don't see the academy cavalry coming to our rescue in this position any time soon. March and Colwill could fill in, in a 4 but would be obviously out of position and be doing no more than just filling in.

Centre mid. I think we're ok as long as we don't sell. If we do, I think we should loan in. In this position I can see us being in a better spot once Moder, Koslowski and a number of others on loan return from injury or mature. We just need to buy some time. As for Gilmour, we'll find out tomorrow if RDZ rates him.

Similarly a bit further forward, Buenotte, Enciso and Sarmiento will aid the transition away from the Lallana, Gross, Trossard era, but we might need some short term cover as these players are seriously young.

Up front. For about the 7th window in a row, we're desperate for a striker as, has been said, we're alarmingly reliant on players who are injury prone, undercooked, not going to make it, or likely to leave. We've lots of loan strikers out there, but none scoring. I'm expecting the normal sorry transfer window tale of near misses and another 1 in 10 punt on a teenager

Steele's never let us down. McGill is probably better than you think - wouldn't be the end of the world.

Rushworth should be ready next season - although a year in the Championship or abroad would probably be better for his development

We haven't needed to replace Dunk.

Ed Turns.

So were Pele, Rooney, Michael Owen, Trevor Francis, et al. So is Caicedo.

Desperate? 26 goals in 15 PL matches. More 'would like' rather than 'desperate'. Also .... cough .... Ferguson.
On the Keeper thing, it really is an inefficient use of available money to be spending significant transfer funds and wages on a back up. In 5 and a half seasons of PL football, we’ve had to play the back-up keeper twice, haven’t we?

It’d only be worth splashing out if Sanchez was being sold.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
PB quoted in the Argus today, so this seems to be the clubs current position, so I think we can ignore any twitter shite about offering players etc.
“We have not offered anyone to anyone and have no plans to.
“In an ideal world our squad, which is as good as it has been for a long time, will remain intact through the whole of January and we will go into the second half of the season as we are.
“The next 30-odd days is unpredictable and we will deal with whatever comes in. But we are not offering anyone to anyone.”
Asked whether there had been contact over their players, Barber said: “No - and we don’t want any."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On the Keeper thing, it really is an inefficient use of available money to be spending significant transfer funds and wages on a back up. In 5 and a half seasons of PL football, we’ve had to play the back-up keeper twice, haven’t we?

Indeed it is not exactly wisely spent money unless its a very young one who could be ok with developing in the shadow of another keeper for a few seasons. Then it might be worth some pounds if its a really promising player.

Generally speaking, finding a good backup keeper isn't easy. Personality is more important than skill: but you have to find the weird kind of personality who is very dedicated and focused yet not frustrated or ultra-competitive enough to demand game time. But they also need to have a bit of skill, because you never know if you might need them for a game or ten.

I know some have said in the past that the club should try to "bring in competition for the role". I've always disagreed with the stance that goalies need a competitive situation. There's very few examples that having two similar-quality keeper resulted in anything good. Confidence is perhaps more important to keepers than to anyone else on the pitch and if you know that the bloke on the bench might take your spot if you f*** up just a tiny bit, it makes keepers anxious and no one wants that.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

We've had to play our second choice keeper 5 times. David Button made 4 appearances when Maty Ryan was away at the Asian Cup with Australia in 2019. Jason Steele played 1 game last season after Bob Sanchez was sent off against Newcastle. Your point is valid that it would be silly to spend massive funds on someone who is going to sit on the bench for 95% of the season however we have got lucky with injuries, would we be taking a bit of a risk if Steele had to play most of the second half of the season? Personally I think he'd do ok but we would be a lot weaker in the goalkeeper position if that happened.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Just read this about Palace:-

The manager’s concerns over a lack of depth in midfield – not to mention Wilfried Zaha entering the last six months of his contract – could lead to a frenzied final few days at the end of the month at a club that has signed a new striker in every January transfer window since 2018. EA

Incredible! Plus hilarious

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Asked whether there had been contact over their players, Barber said: “No - and we don’t want any."

This shows what utter SHITE the Liverpool offer/rejection Twatter stuff is.

Pretty sure that it was but great to hear from PB OBE a confirmation of the FACTS.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just read this about Palace:-

The manager’s concerns over a lack of depth in midfield – not to mention Wilfried Zaha entering the last six months of his contract – could lead to a frenzied final few days at the end of the month at a club that has signed a new striker in every January transfer window since 2018. EA

Incredible! Plus hilarious
Especially when you consider that we've scored 11 more goals than them this season.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well I have hopes we'll sign 4 or 5 young players no one has heard of or had on their radar. They'll all get loaned straight back or out. In about 2 years one of them will force his way into the first team and turn out to be mint, one will disappear without trace and the others have reasonable careers elsewhere.
We might wait for summer to do the same thing though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Generally speaking, finding a good backup keeper isn't easy. Personality is more important than skill: but you have to find the weird kind of personality who is very dedicated and focused yet not frustrated or ultra-competitive enough to demand game time. But they also need to have a bit of skill, because you never know if you might need them for a game or ten.
Exactly. Someone like Jason Steele maybe? :thumbsup:
Would we be taking a bit of a risk if Steele had to play most of the second half of the season? Personally I think he'd do ok but we would be a lot weaker in the goalkeeper position if that happened.
Me too. McGill was good in the U21s, so could possibly make the step-up (although I thnk career-wise he'd be better off on loan) - and of course, should Big Bob get injured in January, we'd have the option of recaling the excellent Rushworth (at least, I think we are able to recall him).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We've had to play our second choice keeper 5 times. David Button made 4 appearances when Maty Ryan was away at the Asian Cup with Australia in 2019. Jason Steele played 1 game last season after Bob Sanchez was sent off against Newcastle. Your point is valid that it would be silly to spend massive funds on someone who is going to sit on the bench for 95% of the season however we have got lucky with injuries, would we be taking a bit of a risk if Steele had to play most of the second half of the season? Personally I think he'd do ok but we would be a lot weaker in the goalkeeper position if that happened.
I’d forgotten about Ryan’s absence for the Asian cup, and I thought Sanchez had a 2 match suspension for a foul preventing a goal-scoring opportunity. Either way, the former would’ve been a predictable absence that we don’t need to worry about.

It is a risk that you could have to use the back-up keeper for a long period, but it rarely happens. Apart from Sanchez’a one (or two) match ban, I remember Stockdale getting injured for 1 game against Forest in 16/17. Therefore it’s a calculated risk and far better to spend the money on outfield players that will almost certainly be used.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’d forgotten about Ryan’s absence for the Asian cup, and I thought Sanchez had a 2 match suspension for a foul preventing a goal-scoring opportunity. Either way, the former would’ve been a predictable absence that we don’t need to worry about.
It was a one game ban, Sanchez missed the Villa game but was back for the Leeds match.

There is no such thing as a 2 game suspension for denial of a goal scoring opportunity, its a one game ban*. The only red-card offences that come with more than a 1 game ban is foul and abusive language which is a 2 game suspension. Serious foul play or violent conduct which means a player misses 3 matches, there is also a 6 game ban if you are sent off for spitting at an opponent or any other person.

*If it's a second sending off of the season then the player will serve an extra game ban on top of the standard suspension, 3rd red card of the season would come with an extra 2 game suspension and so on.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I hear the phrase "stupid money" in respect of Caicedo and Mac Allister, but where do people see that threshold?
If I put myself in TB's shoes, it has to be north of 90 million for it to happen in January, as I hope we have replacements lined up for the summer, when I expect either one or both of them to go.
30 million plus for Trossard in the summer, higher in January?
I think you are right about the valuation of both players, we don’t need to sell , so the transfer fees will be very high , just look how much our recent transfers have cost the buying club, but as Bloom has said any player can leave provided the asking price is met .
what I like is the buying club has to pay the full price, no negotiations ,
we are in a very strong position

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Moises out for £70 million. Frattesi in for much less. Hardly the end of the world.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
With Buonanotte (who I think could see first team football straight away) coming in, I think it would be less costly to move March there when needed. Don't think we'll see a new LWB.
Spot on Swanny

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Andreas Schjelderup of Nordsjælland would be ideal for us. 18 years old, 10 goals in 17 Superligean appearances. Mainly a left winger, but can play through the centre. Benfica are after him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here