Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer window musings: Poyet wants Premier League striker loan

nyseagull

Oct 10, 2003
Brighton
Interesting article from a site called backpagefootball.com
Some new names but still think wages rule most of them out

http://backpagefootball.com/transfer-window-musings-poyet-wants-premier-league-striker-loan/47798/

Monday, August 27th, 2012

Transfer window musings: Poyet wants Premier League striker loan
August 27th, 2012by Tomos Llewellyn

“We need a striker but we are not close enough to getting that striker … We would consider bringing in a striker on loan from a Premier League club.” – Gus Poyet, 21st August.

Two games into the championship season and with the unpredictable transfer market very much still trading Gus Poyet is on the lookout for another striker following a frustrating 0-0 draw with Cardiff on Tuesday night. This article will look at potential suitors who would fit the criteria Gus Poyet has put forward.

Park Chu–Young, Arsenal

Might be considered something of a strange fit but the move would very much make sense. Despite only making a handful of appearances and only scoring a single goal at Arsenal the year of training Park must have received would very much put him in good stead with Brighton’s style of play. His London 2012 antics proves that he is capable of performing in an English environment having capped his impressive bronze medal match with South Korea’s second goal in their 2-0 win over Japan.

Victor Anichebe, Everton

A player who very much looks like he needs a loan like this one. Having graduated from Everton’s academy his toffee’s career has never really taken off despite his obvious talent and physique. Having only scored six goals last season, a season of hitting the back of the net would do wonders for his confidence and Everton would surely have a different prospect on their hands come next season.

Roque Santa Cruz, Manchester City (apparently)

A striker that has surely exhausted every means of suffering injury during his ill – fated spell as a Manchester City player. Has been shipped out on loan to Blackburn and Real Betis in recent seasons so the arrangement would not be unknown territory nor too much of a step down. In fairness Cruz notched up 33 league games last season for Betis and as long as Brighton used him wisely would surely feature amongst the Championship’s top scorers list come the end of the season.

Sammy Ameobi, Newcastle

Having only scored a single Newcastle goal in his short Geordie career (an extra time winner in the league cup against Scunthorpe), Brighton fans might be asking: would he actually bring goals to the side? The answer to that question is: I have no idea. Nobody would have any idea. But his relentless energy and chasing down lost causes would be a worthy addition to the Brighton team. A player who earns his wages in sweat would always be welcomed with opened arms at any club. And a regular spot in Brighton’s team could yield vital goals and assists. At only 20 years of age and a Nigeria U20 / England U21 international (I know), would definitely be worth a punt by Poyet.

The wildcard: Bebe

Now this would be a very interesting scenario. A player initially bought for around £7M from under the noses of Benfica and Real Madrid after Sir Alex Ferguson admitted to never watching him play beforehand. After a disappointing spell, was loaned out to Besiktas with a £2M buy option only to suffer a cruciate ligament injury. Could that be Brighton’s gain this season? Almost definitely not but with Van Persie, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, Macheda and even Berbatov all potentially ahead in the queue, and with the transfer window ticking down, could Bebe search for pastures new to get some much needed game time? Surely the option of playing in England to prove his critics wrong and showcase his talents would be appealing to the Portugal U21 international. He looked razor sharp in United colours during their preseason tour, receiving high praise and scoring an impressive equalising volley before handing an assist for a Shinji Kagawa goal. The move would certainly attract a lot of extra viewers for Brighton games as fans ask the question: Is Bebe actually any good?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any one of them would be OK by me, it's not like decent strikers are queuing up to come here :shrug:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Santa Cruz is the only one I would really be happy with out of that lot. The rest are all wildcards, with the exception of Bebe who is a guaranteed flop.

I still live in the hope that the club is working to bring Bobby Z back on loan...

No chance and no thanks

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
TB is a bit of a gambler, so I'm wondering if he'll go all in for a striker that will get us to the land of milk and honey that is the Premier League ??? He's in for a penny (or 100 million £), so might as well go in for the pound. Can't see him not financing a striker tbh :smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The work ethic of those South Korean players is amazing. If it was a straight choice of those five players I'd pick Chu-Young without hesitation.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I would be happy with any of the above as thye are at worst lower premiership players

but....

they are way out of our league and our only hope would be a last minute thing or short term loan later in the season. Theyll only come to us if they have no other choice.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no point bring in a loan stiker who isnt a proven pedigee, we'd be better off giving Agdestein a chance than the likes of Ameobi or Bebe. that Park Chu–Young player sounds like he might be worthwhile, and Santa-cruz is obviously quality and be very welcome, though id wonder why anyone would think he'd come here. maybe the south american link might make that happen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't mind seeing any of them down here, but after watching the highlights of the Barnsley game on The BBC, and especially after seeing the way he took his second goal, I'm wondering if Barnes isn't the business after all.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
no point bring in a loan stiker who isnt a proven pedigee, we'd be better off giving Agdestein a chance than the likes of Ameobi or Bebe. that Park Chu–Young player sounds like he might be worthwhile, and Santa-cruz is obviously quality and be very welcome, though id wonder why anyone would think he'd come here. maybe the south american link might make that happen.
Adgestein has shown he isnt ready for the first team yet. Both of those have proved their capability

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sammy Ameobi, Newcastle

.....But his relentless energy and chasing down lost causes would be a worthy addition to the Brighton team. A player who earns his wages in sweat would always be welcomed with opened arms at any club.....

Already got one of them

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Adgestein has shown he isnt ready for the first team yet. Both of those have proved their capability

really? Ameobi might have shown he's a decent player but not a goal scorer which was my point. Bebe has only proved his capability to waste space.

i'd rather give our own players experience than give that to others.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The work ethic of those South Korean players is amazing. If it was a straight choice of those five players I'd pick Chu-Young without hesitation.

Of that list, I would quite agree. Work rate, he HAS scored goals in a reasonable league (France :lolol: ) and I'm sure he could give CMS a run for his money in the hardest working competition.

with or without rice?

:lolol: Magnificent.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bebe has been in excellent pre-season form

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here