Transfer Deadline Day thread (was: The January transfer window round-up thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
we need a defender

We'd all like a defender. But I'd rather have Dave at right back, Calderon centre back and wait for Greer and Dunk to be available once more. The bigger squad you assemble the more voices there are in the dressing room and the more chance there is of someone getting upset at not playing. I think our squad size is big enough, maybe even too big. We haven't neccessarily assembled it too well, it's lopsided. But there are options. Painter could play at centre back as well and frankly, I would rather him or Calderon to Upson who probably wouldn't be too bothered how we get on. Atleast those boys would give everything unquestionably.

Hilarious ! the only " Job " he can do now at 37 is shift shirts.

There speaks a man who does not watch American football, or who hasn't seen Beckham in years.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There speaks a man who does not watch American football, or who hasn't seen Beckham in years.

Exactly. Of course he is a brand.

But he is STILL an excellent footballer. Some of his crosses in the last few games in the MLS were DELICIOUS

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We'd all like a defender. But I'd rather have Dave at right back, Calderon centre back and wait for Greer and Dunk to be available once more. The bigger squad you assemble the more voices there are in the dressing room and the more chance there is of someone getting upset at not playing. I think our squad size is big enough, maybe even too big. We haven't neccessarily assembled it too well, it's lopsided. But there are options. Painter could play at centre back as well and frankly, I would rather him or Calderon to Upson who probably wouldn't be too bothered how we get on. Atleast those boys would give everything unquestionably.

Can't say I agree with that. Upson is a player that always seems to give his all for the team, and the argument that he "won't be bothered" because he would only be on loan isn't valid IMO- just look at Bridge.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing

okay mate

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Try to realise that he is an ageing clothes horse who pick and chooses his photo opportunities in order to keep Brand Beckham in the news. He will pretty much be a benchwarmer at PSG and is just there to get a few more bums on seats. After half a season of substitute appearances and the odd floated free kick the magic will have died for them too.

He was in the England team for far too long after his legs went and he became an irrelevance as a player. He has been off the pace for years now and I fail to see what he can offer any team that plays in a physical,fast paced league.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Exactly. Of course he is a brand.

But he is STILL an excellent footballer. Some of his crosses in the last few games in the MLS were DELICIOUS

He is a fantastic player and him whipping balls onto the head of Zlatan... Clever signing on every level.

Can't say I agree with that. Upson is a player that always seems to give his all for the team, and the argument that he "won't be bothered" because he would only be on loan isn't valid IMO- just look at Bridge.

I might be wrong, I'm basing it almost purely on the fact he hasn't shown any loyalty to any of the clubs he's been to and if he moves today then it's because he's either desperate, or been told to do one. Either way, not ideal for the signing club. I love the window, but it's a day to watch others scurry around the bargain bin and not be one of the scurriers.

Try to realise that he is an ageing clothes horse who pick and chooses his photo opportunities in order to keep Brand Beckham in the news. He will pretty much be a benchwarmer at PSG and is just there to get a few more bums on seats. After half a season of substitute appearances and the odd floated free kick the magic will have died for them too.

He was in the England team for far too long after his legs went and he became an irrelevance as a player. He has been off the pace for years now and I fail to see what he can offer any team that plays in a physical,fast paced league.

That's your opinion. And frankly I've got no time for it at all.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

I think he will repay the money paid out in shirt deals alone for PSG! Agreed he wont play many games but he will be a fans favorite and will bring with him a lot of experience.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I might be wrong, I'm basing it almost purely on the fact he hasn't shown any loyalty to any of the clubs he's been to and if he moves today then it's because he's either desperate, or been told to do one. Either way, not ideal for the signing club. I love the window, but it's a day to watch others scurry around the bargain bin and not be one of the scurriers.

Fair enough. I think Tate would definitely be a better signing than Upson for the record.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, Bechio to Norwich and Morison going the other way. Are Leeds ok for strikers now?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it funds Zamora coming back I'd be happy with that.

I am not sure what people are expecting should zamora ever come back. Gus has made it 100000000000000000000000% clear that he will not play two up front and he has spunked 2 million on a argie striker who it appears is pretty good. If zamora was to come beck, where would he play in this set up...the bench at the most. We all know what happens with decent players who are left to rot on the bench, Dobbie, LuaLua etc etc .

i cant see any point in bringing Zamora back at all.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Beckham to PSG?

Has that been mentioned yet?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
DONE DEAL - Jason Banton - Crystal Palace to Plymouth Argyle (loan)
It's only four years or so since Jason Banton was one of the brightest stars to come out of the Arsenal academy, with Blackburn beating off Manchester City when he decided to leave the Emirates. He ended up at Liverpool but has since had spells at Leicester, Burton and in US soccer before joining Crystal Palace in October. He has now joined

I remember him being touted as a future star...whata waste

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports