[Brighton] Transfer Deadline Day - 1st September 2022

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Countless games last season where we had 20+ shots on goal and ended up
Goalles draws or losses.

Leeds, Brentford, Norwich etc

And that happens to other clubs a couple of games per season as well, regardless of how many and how good strikers they have. Such is football. Teams miss chances. The best and the worst players miss chances. Sure, Brighton might have missed a bit more than most the last few years and it would be great with a world class striker to maybe score 5% more of those chances but it is unlikely to change everything, as some seem to believe.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Also, people banging on about how 'we're only five games in' and yet they are moaning about Undav based on a few minutes here and there. You can't have it both ways!

Another thing that the whole 'this squad is weaker' crowd have failed to admit is that the quality – and output – of the existing players has gone up as they have an extra year of PL experience. Take Groß –*scapegoat from loads of people and out of the starting 11 for much of the time, now he's an integral part of the team. Sanchez has got much better and stronger. Veltman, Mac Allister, Trossard, the list goes on...

Another thing you forget is we got rid of our leading scorer for the last three seasons who’s picking up them 9 goals ….March?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
of course, but there's still going to be games where a decent striker (doesn't have to be a £50M, 20 goal player) would get us more wins. that's regardless of how many the midfield are or aren't scoring. and also, that post ignores the fact that much of what our players up front do isn't about scoring. I'm absolutely petrified of what will happen if welbeck gets injured, which, let's face it, isn't beyond the realms of possibility. we have absolutely nobody who can offer his movement. Undav obviously has his qualities, but being an outlet for building attacks in the same way as welbeck isn't one of them

Petrified? :lolol: Do me a favour – this is football, not walking across Niagara Falls on a tightrope!

All I was trying to say was that last season, people were banging on about how (ironically, given he's facked off) Maupay didn't score enough – any, at the time – goals. Back then, I said that if the midfield were scoring (they weren't), no-one would be mentioning him or wetting themselves about NEEDING another striker (sound familiar?). Now that the midfield ARE scoring goals, there is less pressure on Welbeck – or whoever it is as many posters have resigned themselves to the fact he's going to be out for the season from October – to be continually scoring goals to get a result.

Yes, it would clearly strengthen the team to have another striker. But do we NEED one? Possibly not if TB, GP and co haven't already got one in (in addition to Undav) or are unwilling to spaff an obscene (in their eyes) fee on nothing more than a gamble.

Another thing – if the team had got a result against Fulham the other night – as simple as Dunk not putting the ball in his own net – there wouldn't be half as much fuss on here as there is now. Football fans are so bloody fickle!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Why was there any 'necessity' to chuck Estupinan straight in?

We had 7 points from the first three (tough) games, without needing him.

I don't think he was chucked in. He started on the bench at West Ham but when he came on he didn't put a foot wrong and the team played quite superbly with better balance.

His first half-hour against Leeds was similarly sublime. He then made some Latin American passes across his own box and was rightly hooked by Potter. He will need time to bed in, but is the sort of flair player that would have had us drooling in our undies a few years ago.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Petrified? :lolol: Do me a favour – this is football, not walking across Niagara Falls on a tightrope!

All I was trying to say was that last season, people were banging on about how (ironically, given he's facked off) Maupay didn't score enough – any, at the time – goals. Back then, I said that if the midfield were scoring (they weren't), no-one would be mentioning him or wetting themselves about NEEDING another striker (sound familiar?). Now that the midfield ARE scoring goals, there is less pressure on Welbeck – or whoever it is as many posters have resigned themselves to the fact he's going to be out for the season from October – to be continually scoring goals to get a result.

Yes, it would clearly strengthen the team to have another striker. But do we NEED one? Possibly not if TB, GP and co haven't already got one in (in addition to Undav) or are unwilling to spaff an obscene (in their eyes) fee on nothing more than a gamble.

Another thing – if the team had got a result against Fulham the other night – as simple as Dunk not putting the ball in his own net – there wouldn't be half as much fuss on here as there is now. Football fans are so bloody fickle!

well if tuesday is anything to go by, yes the thought of not having welbeck is pretty scary. and no, the performance was shocking regardless of the result

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another thing you forget is we got rid of our leading scorer for the last three seasons who’s picking up them 9 goals ….March?[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Not sure I 'forgot', but it was kinda central to the point I was making before. Mac Allister got five goals in 33 PL appearances last season – this season he's two from five. Groß last season: two in 29; this season he's three in five. Carry on like that and they – and others – will be 'who’s picking up them 9 goals'. Next question? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Team [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I don't really engage with NSC anymore, but unfortuntately Covid means I have some time on my hands...

This thread could be copied and pasted from the last couple of summer deadline days. The same old posters with the same old gloom&doom. "Two bad windows away from relegation". "Where is the 20+ goal striker"? And yet, somehow, the club keeps improving on and off the pitch despite taking not a jot of notice of the glass-half-empty brigade.

Keep The Faith. Enjoy The Ride. You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone. (other cliches are available). UTA.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It was painful to remember the other teams we battered last year but could put the ball in the net!

Can’t remember them for a reason I guess

Plenty of more opportunities this year I guess.

I was curious (and tediously bored at work) so I went and checked our results on the Premier League website for last season.

This is every game we failed to score in. 13 in total. I've highlighted the ones I'd argue we probably should have done better in given possession%, number of shots and shots on target:

gmz.JPG

The others?

City, Liverpool, Spurs, United, Arsenal - fair enough.

Villa had our number. Wolves and Leeds, who knows?

I tend to agree with people saying we need a striker or more goals from the rest of the squad but looking at that...I think we did (and will do) alright :shrug:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I was curious (and tediously bored at work) so I went and checked our results on the Premier League website for last season.

This is every game we failed to score in. 13 in total. I've highlighted the ones I'd argue we probably should have done better in given possession%, number of shots and shots on target:

View attachment 151433

The others?

City, Liverpool, Spurs, United, Arsenal - fair enough.

Villa had our number. Wolves and Leeds, who knows?

I tend to agree with people saying we need a striker or more goals from the rest of the squad but looking at that...I think we did (and will do) alright :shrug:

Norwich, that was the game I was thinking of! Neal missed a pen!

So according to your chart we had 51 shot vs Leeds and Norwich combined and 8 of which were on target. Resulting in zero goals.

It just means we're gonna have to suffer the '1 point gained, 3 points dropped' threads again

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
well if tuesday is anything to go by, yes the thought of not having welbeck is pretty scary. and no, the performance was shocking regardless of the result

The scary thing was not having a forward, not that it wasn't Welbeck. We don't know what Undav would be like as a target.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We've played away from home before without Welbeck, with Trossard as a false 9 and played well such as at Spurs in April. The poor performance on the night may well have happened with or without Welbeck tbh.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Norwich, that was the game I was thinking of! Neal missed a pen!

So according to your chart we had 51 shot vs Leeds and Norwich combined and 8 of which were on target. Resulting in zero goals.

It just means we're gonna have to suffer the '1 point gained, 3 points dropped' threads again

Yep! And so will loads of other teams.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
The Athletic reporting that Blackpool making a bid for a permanent move for Zak Emmerson.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
:laugh::laugh: very good.

Being an old git, this was kinda what I had in mind. As we all know, it was a long way back.

League Division One table after close of play on 10 December 1981
Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Manchester United 18 9 5 4 28 15 13 32
2 Ipswich Town 16 10 2 4 28 19 9 32
3 Southampton 18 9 3 6 32 27 5 30
4 Swansea City 17 9 3 5 27 25 2 30
5 Tottenham Hotspur 16 9 1 6 26 19 7 28
6 Brighton and Hove Albion 18 6 9 3 24 18 6 27
7 Arsenal 16 8 3 5 15 12 3 27
8 West Ham United 16 6 8 2 33 22 11 26
9 Nottingham Forest 17 7 5 5 21 22 -1 26
10 Manchester City 16 7 4 5 21 17 4 25
11 Liverpool 16 6 6 4 23 16 7 24
12 Coventry City 17 6 4 7 27 26 1 22
13 Everton 17 6 4 7 22 23 -1 22
14 West Bromwich Albion 17 5 6 6 21 19 2 21
15 Stoke City 18 6 2 10 23 28 -5 20
16 Aston Villa 16 4 7 5 21 19 2 19
17 Wolverhampton Wanderers 17 5 4 8 11 23 -12 19
18 Leeds United 17 5 4 8 18 32 -14 19
19 Birmingham City 16 4 6 6 23 23 0 18
20 Notts County 17 4 5 8 24 31 -7 17
21 Middlesbrough 18 2 6 10 16 30 -14 12
22 Sunderland 18 2 5 11 13 31 -18 11

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Not sure I 'forgot', but it was kinda central to the point I was making before. Mac Allister got five goals in 33 PL appearances last season – this season he's two from five. Groß last season: two in 29; this season he's three in five. Carry on like that and they – and others – will be 'who’s picking up them 9 goals'. Next question? ???

It don’t get away from the fact that Maupay goals have been taken out of the team 1-1,at saints West Ham palace to name but three . It more the fact about cover injury prone wellbeck undav untested at this level and a youngster weakest strikeforce in league by a country mile

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here