Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transfer Deadline Day - 1st September 2022

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I can understand the logic of not signing a player for the sake of it, but why sell Maupay. Surely we didn’t need the £15m that urgently.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree with that other than that is very harsh on Pervis, considering GP normally breaks in players slowly so that they can adjust to how we play. Pervis has, through necessity, been chucked straight in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cucurella was played straight away and never made f-ups like the one on Tuesday and the two against Leeds. But then, like I said, by price at least, Cucurella is world leading.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I can understand the logic of not signing a player for the sake of it, but why sell Maupay. Surely we didn’t need the £15m that urgently.

unsettling influences in the dressing room are obviously not good, and it is fair to assume Neal was not happy sitting on the bench for us, however he seems he will be perfectly happy being second fiddle to Calvert- Lewin when he returns.

Nothing to do with money whatsoever.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The weakness does show.

We're still missing a lot of gettable chances. One Welbeck injury away from having the worst strike force in the PL.

So no different from last season then? ???

To me it's the same old same old. The club doesn't NEED another striker. People just WANT one. As I've said before, all the time the midfielders (and, to a lesser degree, defenders) are chipping in with goals (which they seem to be this season and the tail end of last season) it's less of a problem who is up front and what they are doing.

Once again, people getting their knickers in a twist about something.I guess SHIRT-GATE must have died down :lolol:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Imagine not needing 15 million,that's like 10 years of electricity and a season ticket.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
So no different from last season then? ???

To me it's the same old same old. The club doesn't NEED another striker. People just WANT one. As I've said before, all the time the midfielders (and, to a lesser degree, defenders) are chipping in with goals (which they seem to be this season and the tail end of last season) it's less of a problem who is up front and what they are doing.

Once again, people getting their knickers in a twist about something.I guess SHIRT-GATE must have died down :lolol:

I think there are a number of teams that we could finish off with ease if we had a striker that was capable of finishing. We cannot rely on our midfield. I think that’s where the frustration lies. We will draw 0-0 or lose games that we should quite easily win.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh well. I guess I’ll go to bed feeling disappointed abd unsatisfied …….like every night.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Thread closed from an Albion perspective then, at least in previous transfer windows we've had some hope until near the end!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Guys, this is the PERFECT narrative to get our expectations down before the club blows us all out the water with a new striker revealed this evening!

… for the u18’s team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Also, people banging on about how 'we're only five games in' and yet they are moaning about Undav based on a few minutes here and there. You can't have it both ways!

Another thing that the whole 'this squad is weaker' crowd have failed to admit is that the quality – and output – of the existing players has gone up as they have an extra year of PL experience. Take Groß –*scapegoat from loads of people and out of the starting 11 for much of the time, now he's an integral part of the team. Sanchez has got much better and stronger. Veltman, Mac Allister, Trossard, the list goes on...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think there are a number of teams that we could finish off with ease if we had a striker that was capable of finishing. We cannot rely on our midfield. I think that’s where the frustration lies. We will draw 0-0 or lose games that we should quite easily win.

And, we'll probably win games that we 'should have' lost or drawn. Maybe thanks to goals from the midfielders and/or defenders :shrug:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
And, we'll probably win games that we 'should have' lost or drawn. Maybe thanks to goals from the midfielders and/or defenders :shrug:

and you're saying we wouldn't win/draw those games if we were playing a striker who scores goals? cause if not I'm not sure what your point is. no reason we couldn't have both

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And you have to look at the squad in the round.

We've managed to cover Bissouma and really don't look like we're much weaker in midfield. The way we're using MacAllister and Caicedo has worked in every game except Fulham. Centre Back is fine I think. I'd rather have Colwell and Van Hecke waiting to come on than Duffy, personally. Bringing in Mitoma has allowed us to have the option to play March at RWB where he can cut in. He's keeping out Lamptey on form.

You've said before (and I agree) that the way we play means we need midfielders who can score (and defenders too) and so far Gross, Trossard and Macallister have obliged. Gross has a goal ratio most PL strikers will envy so far this season. With one up top being the norm having three options with Welbeck being the main one is fine if we're really confident in his new found injury free nature. If he does get a long injury then we'll have to give Undav or Ferguson a chance. It's far from ideal, which is why a Welbeck-like player would have been a bonus, but it might make the player just as much as it might break him.

If there's one area where we have got weaker it's LWB. I don't mind Trossard there to be fair but Estupinan looks like he has two or three goal conceding mistakes a game in him, which is simply unacceptable when we're mostly basing our wins around clean sheets. I think it's a simple statement of fact that we're weaker in this area, given that it was us that sold the most expensive full back ever!

Perv will indeed probably be weaker than Cucurella, at least for a while. But a lot of it probably comes down to getting used to the PL and the language; there was one situation against Leeds where he won the ball perfectly, then took a second (which he would have had against many La Liga teams) too much to find the option and Dan James (or whoever it was) came back and took the ball from him. In another situation, when he made one of the wonky passes, you could see Webster - I think it was - pointing and probably yelling something and Perv tried to make a dangerous, unecessary pass to him - he probably had no idea what Webster was yelling. Things like that will happen for a while. Physically and technically he seems to have all the necessary attributes so I think it will sort itself in due time.

No sorry it is fact. We lost Bissouma and haven’t replaced with a new signing. And while I don’t think we needed to the facts are that we are now one player less in that department and that’s a player who was is valued at £35m by a top 6 side even with one year left on his contract.

We have sold our player of the season for £60m with one years PL experience for a £15m player who has never played in the PL. sure he may go one to be Cucurella mark 2 but given those facts our squad is weaker in that position right now.

We have sold a player with three years PL experience and our joint top PL scorer and replaced him with a player who has never played in PL. In time he might go on to be excellent but right now the facts are he is less experienced with less pedigree.

There is no rationale person that can argue the squad isn’t weaker now. I think we will be fine and trust Potter but let’s call a spade a spade.

"Facts" just don't work like that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
and you're saying we wouldn't win/draw those games if we were playing a striker who scores goals? cause if not I'm not sure what your point is. no reason we couldn't have both

Copied from an earlier post: 'As I've said before, all the time the midfielders (and, to a lesser degree, defenders) are chipping in with goals (which they seem to be this season and the tail end of last season) it's less of a problem who is up front and what they are doing.'

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've gone into this window having trousered c. £175million in the last year or so. I get we have to be sustainable but how about just use the Maupay money to fund his replacement. Is that asking too much??

No good asking me, ask the guy whose bank account it all comes out of...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ok, but there isn't.

This is the Premier League. If you're not Manchester City, or Liverpool playing a bottom side, no one is winning anything with "ease".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here