Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transfer Deadline Day - 1st September 2022

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know the strategy is too develop young players but it does seem a big risk to not sign any first team players of decent pedigree other than Pervis. We had a good season last year but we’ve lost our two best players and have been in a relegation battle every other year since we’ve got promoted. We also just lost to a newly promoted team as our only good striker can only play 1 match a week (if he stays fit).

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
As you like but I think it's way more stupid to be writing him off before he's even had a full game in the PL.

Show me where he has been written off by anybody. Oh, you cannot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I for one don't really expect us to sign anyone today tbh. Potter and TB know what they are doing. And for those who are being overly dramatic and know better than these two great guys we have in charge, please in all your wisdom let us peons bask in your superior intellect.

We will be fine going forward, more signings or not.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not a fact - its an opinion.

Personally I think people remember how PL teams used to have 4 established strikers when almost everyone was playing 4-4-2 formations. Today teams commonly have two striker options and then some youngsters or players who can play in multiple positions.

And you have to look at the squad in the round.

We've managed to cover Bissouma and really don't look like we're much weaker in midfield. The way we're using MacAllister and Caicedo has worked in every game except Fulham. Centre Back is fine I think. I'd rather have Colwell and Van Hecke waiting to come on than Duffy, personally. Bringing in Mitoma has allowed us to have the option to play March at RWB where he can cut in. He's keeping out Lamptey on form.

You've said before (and I agree) that the way we play means we need midfielders who can score (and defenders too) and so far Gross, Trossard and Macallister have obliged. Gross has a goal ratio most PL strikers will envy so far this season. With one up top being the norm having three options with Welbeck being the main one is fine if we're really confident in his new found injury free nature. If he does get a long injury then we'll have to give Undav or Ferguson a chance. It's far from ideal, which is why a Welbeck-like player would have been a bonus, but it might make the player just as much as it might break him.

If there's one area where we have got weaker it's LWB. I don't mind Trossard there to be fair but Estupinan looks like he has two or three goal conceding mistakes a game in him, which is simply unacceptable when we're mostly basing our wins around clean sheets. I think it's a simple statement of fact that we're weaker in this area, given that it was us that sold the most expensive full back ever!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If you have a brain, it will tell you that we have seen near constant improvement year on year. There are literally about 3 seasons at the Amex where that hasn't been the case.

Or I suppose your brain could just tell you to whinge and whine about our lack of 20 goal striker every single transfer window. Fill your boots. :shrug:

I have never said we need a 20-goal striker. You talk so much sh1t

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Show me where he has been written off by anybody. Oh, you cannot

Just carry on having a conversation with yourself. The fact that so many are desperate for a Maupay replacement when we already have one tells you all you need to know about how he has already been written off. Think about it rather than just being rude eh?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Not a fact - its an opinion.

Personally I think people remember how PL teams used to have 4 established strikers when almost everyone was playing 4-4-2 formations. Today teams commonly have two striker options and then some youngsters or players who can play in multiple positions.

No sorry it is fact. We lost Bissouma and haven’t replaced with a new signing. And while I don’t think we needed to the facts are that we are now one player less in that department and that’s a player who was is valued at £35m by a top 6 side even with one year left on his contract.

We have sold our player of the season for £60m with one years PL experience for a £15m player who has never played in the PL. sure he may go one to be Cucurella mark 2 but given those facts our squad is weaker in that position right now.

We have sold a player with three years PL experience and our joint top PL scorer and replaced him with a player who has never played in PL. In time he might go on to be excellent but right now the facts are he is less experienced with less pedigree.

There is no rationale person that can argue the squad isn’t weaker now. I think we will be fine and trust Potter but let’s call a spade a spade.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even with those big money sales, over the last 8 seasons our transfer loss is still about £130m. As well as operating losses. I'm not quite getting where people think TB just has endless money to put into the club? :shrug:

We've gone into this window having trousered c. £175million in the last year or so. I get we have to be sustainable but how about just use the Maupay money to fund his replacement. Is that asking too much??

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Even with those big money sales, over the last 8 seasons our transfer loss is still about £130m. As well as operating losses. I'm not quite getting where people think TB just has endless money to put into the club? :shrug:

Appreciate that but I think we are now one injury away from having a major issue that would have a very detrimental effect on our season. I really hope Welbeck stays fit all season as it’s then not an issue, but it’s quite a risk to take.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Just carry on having a conversation with yourself. The fact that so many are desperate for a Maupay replacement when we already have one tells you all you need to know about how he has already been written off. Think about it rather than just being rude eh?

Says the poster who questioned whether I had a brain. Clearly you are the one short of a few brain cells

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No sorry it is fact. We lost Bissouma and haven’t replaced with a new signing. And while I don’t think we needed to the facts are that we are now one player less in that department and that’s a player who was is valued at £35m by a top 6 side even with one year left on his contract.

We have sold our player of the season for £60m with one years PL experience for a £15m player who has never played in the PL. sure he may go one to be Cucurella mark 2 but given those facts our squad is weaker in that position right now.

We have sold a player with three years PL experience and our joint top PL scorer and replaced him with a player who has never played in PL. In time he might go on to be excellent but right now the facts are he is less experienced with less pedigree.

There is no rationale person that can argue the squad isn’t weaker now. I think we will be fine and trust Potter but let’s call a spade a spade.

Spot on. So many deluded posters on here

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
3 pm on TDD so now is the time I always ask the same question.

When does the loan window close?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If there's one area where we have got weaker it's LWB. I don't mind Trossard there to be fair but Estupinan looks like he has two or three goal conceding mistakes a game in him, which is simply unacceptable when we're mostly basing our wins around clean sheets. I think it's a simple statement of fact that we're weaker in this area, given that it was us that sold the most expensive full back ever!

I agree with that other than that is very harsh on Pervis, considering GP normally breaks in players slowly so that they can adjust to how we play. Pervis has, through necessity, been chucked straight in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
f**k this Im off to support palace!

heresy-detected.gif

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I would be much happier if we got in another striker but only if that striker was good enough that Potter would actually pick him to play. The odds of us signing Welbz II seem to be slim right now but I would rather no signing than another panic-buy Locadia just for the sake of adding numbers.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Far too early to say if we're weaker or stronger than last season? We're still bedding 6 new players into our squad and it will take more than 5 games to decide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here