Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transfer Deadline Day - 1st September 2022

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Fascinating looking at the Guardian's transfer listings (by club, for this window).

There are only three teams with positive transfer balances - ourselves (+£71m), Leicester (+£76m, but that's because Wout Faes is down as undisclosed) and Man City (+£48m). Leeds has a net zero balance. Everyone else is negative - some heavily so. For example:

Chelsea: -£223m
Man Utd: -£187m
West Ham: -£147m
Forest: -£145m
Arsenal: -£91m

Still time to go for these figures to change, of course.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It was a bit rude for sure, but I think his frustration is borne out of the fact that we should all know how this club operates by now. We don't spend money just because we've made £150m in transfer sales. We buy when good players become available at a good price. If that means we're lighter in some areas than others at any given point in time, then it's not ideal but that's the way it is.

It's a bit frustrating at times but surely we have to trust the club these days? If they are happy to go with Welbeck and Undav to be eased into the side, then I am too.

Well I agree with all of that except just blindly agreeing with the public club stance. Prefer to use my own brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
You're one of the ones I look out for on transfer deadline day. There are a few others as well. Your visible angst about the striker makes me laugh and you do it every year like clockwork. As if by now Potter hasn't proved that it isn't vital to us staying up, staying mid-table or even finishing 9th.

Yes it would be nice. Is it worth wetting the bed over EVERY WINDOW?

No.

Pathetic

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
There's a few rumours flying around Arsenal about Eddie Nketiah possibly moving to Brighton. Whether it would be on loan or permanently is unknown but I rate him very highly. A sort of Jermain Defoe like striker with his pace and ability to find goals. I think he'd be the missing piece in the jigsaw for the Seagulls. It'll be interesting to see if this deal comes off today. He wouldn't be cheap but he is real top quality.

Almost zero chance

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I didn't last window. We had 2 proven strikers. We don't have that anymore. Kid yourself all you want but we dont have enough upfront.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Well said

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well I agree with all of that except just blindly agreeing with the public club stance. Prefer to use my own brain

Blindly accepting a record successful season in the top flight.
A record 6th season in the top flight.
A record start to a top flight season.
Record transfer fees received for players.

It's all just blindly following isn't. The club is being considered as one of the best run throughout football at present. Other than by b.w.2....who uses his own brain...allegedly.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Naylors just tweeted that there’s very little chance of us signing a forward. Says club viewed it as a bonus, not a necessity.

FFS

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
People thinking we don’t need a striker are seemingly missing the very obvious point that we’ve just sold our leading scorer. You could argue we didn’t need to panic re: getting someone in whilst Maupay was here, but it’s nuts to go into the season with just Welbeck.

100% agreed, and so many posters so deluded

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It's not as if we haven't spent anything this window :

Adingra £7m
Estupinan £16m
Enciso £9m
Colwill £4m loan fee

And about £130m in

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Have you also consigned Undav to the bin?

Stupid comment. But the early signs are not good for Undav

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
After five games it's an obviously small sample size, but the way we're playing doesn't seem to be lending itself to chances falling to the one striker we've been playing.

Can anyone recall any chances of note falling to Welbeck thus far this season? He may have had one if not felled for the penalty at West Ham, but other than that I'm scratching my head slightly. Trossard, March and Gross seem to have had the lion's share of our good goalscoring opportunities. To my mind, even Webster has had better chances than Welbz.

But… what happens when Welbs inevitably gets injured? Were you at Fulham to watch the repeated false 9 failure?

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
And about £130m in

All the money lost in last 2 seasons due to Covid and training ground etc sometimes posters have a very negative view

I’ve been supporting this club since 1979 and never has it been in better hands or better shape so hey ho if we don’t sign any players today we are still in the strongest position we have ever been in enjoy it and relax

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Every season the same cycle of struggling to sign a striker, but this time we sold one of our most prolific goal scorers and haven't replaced him. Bizarre.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Oh absolutely - I'd not downplay the role he plays in the side at all.

It was just a bit of devil's advocacy to the we *NEED* a goalscoring striker viewpoint.

(I'd like us to have the option of a fox-in-the-box for the record)

A striker. Nobody is specifically saying we need a 20-goal striker despite GP getting annoyed with the media and talking bolleaux in doing so

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[Tweet]1565320949364293633[/Tweet]

Good news for Evan Ferguson.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That's that, I reckon. All done.

Just waiting for news now about whether Andone is off before the window shuts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here