Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains tonight

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Longest queue ever at Falmer? Left sharp on final whistle. Finally got on a Brighton train about 45 mins later. Compounded by the fact two Thameslink trains out of Brighton were cancelled, a Southern one running but late (of course). Standing room only. My eta in north London is about 1.30am. So frustrating to put up with this sh*t when we should be enjoying a historic night for the club.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It took us until 12:20 to get to Worthing.

Unfortunately, I’d left the car at West Worthing and nothing was going there until after 1.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Longest queue ever at Falmer? Left sharp on final whistle. Finally got on a Brighton train about 45 mins later. Compounded by the fact two Thameslink trains out of Brighton were cancelled, a Southern one running but late (of course). Standing room only. My eta in north London is about 1.30am. So frustrating to put up with this sh*t when we should be enjoying a historic night for the club.
Or you could just suck it up, you know the score on both counts, think about the good one.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yes I think it was and I don't even get the train! Kudos to the woman the took over the loudspeaker to direct people o platforms though as she was funny. (y) It's probably not going to make you feel better by saying that the buses were just as crap. We had a beer before leaving hoping the train queue would go down (it didn't), waited for a bus which didn't show up. Managed to get Jnr a cab to the station where 'rail replacement buses' were listed but because the actual train (before buses) was late he managed to get on the Worthing one that you were on. It was the same for the AEK game, well for the buses at least. I put the buses being late, down to a convoy of AEK buses leaving the King & Queen, but that wasn't the case with this match as Ajax weren't forced to use buses like AEK were. It's really annoying as it's just added £25 in cab fares for the evening and it has taken the shine off an amazing win.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I left my seat on 87 as I have a long trip and just know the trains will be shite. Got home to Bedford area at 1.45am.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Spurs on 28th trains are listed as engineering works (post match) so any replacement bus will be fun (if they run any)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We left on the final whistle from SW, walked to Uni car park 7, got to Lancing at 11pm, dropped a couple off, then headed back to Somerset, even negotiating the M27 shut j11-9 alternative route, and was in bed at 01:50.... Good choice for evening games if you can share the £15 fee.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I left my seat on 87 as I have a long trip and just know the trains will be shite. Got home to Bedford area at 1.45am.
I left my seat as soon as the final whistle went. But didn’t get to Brighton station until around 10.50. The 10.56 and 11.23 Thameslink trains were both cancelled, so had to wait for the 12.02 train. I’m still on it now and not due into Flitwick until 2.50am!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I left my seat as soon as the final whistle went. But didn’t get to Brighton station until around 10.50. The 10.56 and 11.23 Thameslink trains were both cancelled, so had to wait for the 12.02 train. I’m still on it now and not due into Flitwick until 2.50am!
Hardcore! I got home at 1.45 in the end - but only because I ran for the night bus!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Left south west corner bang on final whistle. Got into BTN station at 10.45. Got on the 23.15 which left late and walked in the front door in Hassocks at midnight.

Alarm went off at 5am for a 6am start in Horsham this morning.

I'm fugging hungover and knackered today.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Going east it was pretty much the best post game service that I can remember
There was a railway guy on the East platform showing an encouraging amount of common sense by spotting emptier front carriages and re-opened the gate to allow people to run up to the front and get on.

What was bad was a crush at the gate where the abled queue objected to the number coming down the disabled lane and effectively held them back at the gate. While I understand the sentiment, it did mean that genuinely disabled people were getting pushed around. Stewards had to try to intervene to protect them. The club needs to get a grip on the fast lane abuse.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Left early (I know bad), about 87 minutes from WSU. Managed to get on the 4th train which missed the last London Bridge train of the night. It was also a 3 coach train, were they all that short?

Took the Gatwick Express train to Victoria where I got a train to Lewisham. Back home about 12.40.

I had a Thameslink only ticket but figured as they’d cancelled the next two trains I could argue that I had no choice but to get the wrong train. No ticket inspector and the barriers were up at Victoria, so I didn’t get to test my argument.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Its nothing new. The trains have been a shit show for years. Worse part of the matchday experience

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Felt bad leaving at 82 minutes from WSU. But at 2-0 up felt we should have points in the bag and would likely mean a 1-2 hour saving on the drive. Very brisk walk to car park 7 in University. Managed to be at the front of the wave leaving the ground. Dropped son of at Gatwick train station at 10:30. He was home in Clapham at 11:30. 1:30am by the time I got back to Nottingham. 400 mile round trip in a day. Extra cost for parking and Gatwick drop off. But trivial compared to petrol costs. Who cares about the money. It’s a small fraction of going to Marseille. All worthwhile. We won!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here