Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains to the AMEX

brightonian

Feb 2, 2004
hove
Is it me or have Southern Railway absolutely not got this worked out at all?!

Why are they not running 12 coach trains back and forth every 15 mins?

Last 2 games I have had to get a taxi there.

This needs sorting as the overall travel plan not working will go against any planning application for stadium expansion.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Been done to death on here fella. In a nutshell:

Old signalling on that line won't allow shuttle trains

Platform at Lewes isn't big enough to take 12 coaches.

However, what they are f***ing up on is the amount of people on the trains. The station staff are sending trains off 3/4 full before and after the game. They are obviously shitting it about overcrowding, but it needs to improve. The first couple of games worked fine without the crappy queuing system.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's coming up to the old leaves on the line season :eek:

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Is it me or have Southern Railway absolutely not got this worked out at all?!

Why are they not running 12 coach trains back and forth every 15 mins?

Last 2 games I have had to get a taxi there.

This needs sorting as the overall travel plan not working will go against any planning application for stadium expansion.

Last 2 games got the misses to pck me up at the bus stop outsde falmer station, seems like hundreds of others did the same was alright previously though always home in Seaford within the hour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
bit of a weird response. What is it you're trying to say?

No it's not, it's a very good point. The trains were never going to be able to cope with all of the people that want to use them, but they certainly cope with more than they would if they didn't exist. People who don't want to wait will have to find another way of getting there.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I do wonder why there just isn't at least one extra carriage added on to the 3 cars a couple of hours ahead of kick off of match days. 3 x 3cars went past me at Portslade on Friday absolutely rammed.. 1 extra car on each would at least have alleviated some of the pressure surely?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There isn't.

and if this comes up again I may scream.

Just saying. It arrives at Lewes from Brighton and then goes back, I've seen it.

I agree with Titus - I've been on it a couple of times, but it seems to be on a Saturday not in the mid week. It not on the time table and runs direct from B'ton to Falmer and then Lewes only and then returns back to Falmer.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Platform at Lewes isn't big enough to take 12 coaches.

Why does that matter? The train I get home of an evening is 8 coaches whilst some of the stations can only take 5.

However, what they are f***ing up on is the amount of people on the trains. The station staff are sending trains off 3/4 full before and after the game. They are obviously shitting it about overcrowding, but it needs to improve. The first couple of games worked fine without the crappy queuing system.

You're spot on there although people need to be sensible about it as well. On Friday from Lewes people were getting on the train and standing right by the door so they could be the first off. Consequently the guard/old bill who were letting people on to the platform were thinking the carriage was full. We left and there were spare seats!!

100% agree with you about the first couple of games. It worked fine leaving people to their own devices. You don't have old bill on the tube platforms in the morning and people are sensible enough to know when a train is full.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
If anyone wants to see how to fill a train, go to victoria underground at 8.00 any weekday. I bet you get double the number per carriage.

Make all the trains 8 carriage (which do fit) and stuff the trains to proper capacity (always did at hove) and you will shift the queues super quick

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One easy improvement they could make would be to increase the size of the trains with just 3 carriages, make it a minumum of 6 carriages instead. Couldn't they simply uncouple some of the carriages if they have to use smaller trains for the journey beyond Lewes to places like Seaford and put the extra carriages left behind on a service returning to Falmer and Brighton ?

I wonder if the fact that a lot of the Southern trains were taken up to London ready for the Olympics affected the availablility of rolling stock and thats maybe why we are only getting short trains when its clear that they are inadequate? Maybe it will improve when this stock is exchanged again / returned

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here