Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains to London Over XMas

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
For my sins i’m commuting into London from Burgess Hill tomorrow morning...

The Ockley landslide now means (i think) there is a bus running between Three Bridges and Dorking, instead of the big old train route loop via Horsham. Can any of you NSC rail workers/boffins tell me – if i get the bus from TB to Dorking at approx 7am, will it get to Dorking in time for the connecting 7.38 train? I google mapped the distance and it takes... approx 37 mins. Cutting it ridiculously fine unless they are holding the trains for the bus travellers.

Sorry if i’ve missed this info elsewhere on NSC. I haven’t been on for ages, but i couldn’t see any. As usual the ineptitude of the National Rail / Southern websites and Phone line brings me back to the most reliable source of info

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Does this impact on the planned east grinstead to Lon bridge service first thing mon and tue do you know ? Nre says it is ok ?

No, the route will be unaffected.

It took me 5 hours Purley to Seaford today by bus. All for free mind. Did consider if I could get on a rail replacement bus at Redhill..

Really ? It took me 3 hours from Eastbourne to Victoria (Via Dorking) and 2 hours 30 mins on the return (via Coulsdon Town). Should have used the non-stop buses between Three Bridges and Coulsdon Town - changing at Coulsdon for Purley.

Avoid going on the buses to Dorking - they take ages. Also avoid East Grinstead as that route is incredibly busy - best route is via Coulsdon Town.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yesterday Southern had an update on their site, saying that works were over-running, but still aiming to finish on time. i see that note has gone today. If they are going to overrun so I can 't get to work Thurs & Fri, it really would be handy to know about it sooner rather than later.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
I travelled from Brighton to London bridge yesterday. Took a bus to coulsdon town from three bridges and then connecting train from coulsdon to London bridge. The whole journey took just over 2 hours. This is a better route than going via bus to east grinstead as long as you can go into London bridge rather than Victoria.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Speaking as one of those recruited on a temporary contract to help out with the 'Christmas Blockade' as it is known, I can assure you all that you will indeed be getting a lot of relevant information from us. Given the added disruptions caused by the weather (floods, landslips etc) the train situation can change day by day and even hour by hour. The information on the internet will be as accurate as it can be when posted but experience has already shown that it can quickly be out of date as things 'evolve' (landslip, floods etc again). You will be getting information 'from the horses mouth' when travelling. The key is to get yourself as informed as you can be (internet journey planner) and to allow plenty of extra time to complete your journey compared to usual travelling times.

(If my boss reads this it will either get me promoted or sacked!)

ps I chose the 4am to 12 shift so I could make the Bournemouth match :wink:

The trouble is Southern are shocking at dealing with unexpected situations. I can guarantee when the engineering work over runs, staff will have no information and replacement buses will not be quickly available.

Southern really cant cope in a crisis, judging by my own experience and their failures at running the railway effectvely, even in good conditions, well I hope this is taken into account when the franchise comes to an end.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The trouble is Southern are shocking at dealing with unexpected situations. I can guarantee when the engineering work over runs, staff will have no information and replacement buses will not be quickly available.

Southern really cant cope in a crisis, judging by my own experience and their failures at running the railway effectvely, even in good conditions, well I hope this is taken into account when the franchise comes to an end.

You would hope a Plan B involving buses is in place for the 2nd so they can switch over seemlessly

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

You would hope a Plan B involving buses is in place for the 2nd so they can switch over seemlessly

Buses provisionally booked until Sunday 5th January. Should it overrun until the 6th, its going to be very tricky to get buses as they will all be required for school journeys. Back-up service plans are also in place should an overrun happen and additional staff will be used if needed.

Should it overrun, then it isnt unexpected and Southern are prepared for it, FCC on the other hand......

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Buses provisionally booked until Sunday 5th January. Should it overrun until the 6th, its going to be very tricky to get buses as they will all be required for school journeys. Back-up service plans are also in place should an overrun happen and additional staff will be used if needed.

Should it overrun, then it isnt unexpected and Southern are prepared for it, FCC on the other hand......

Thankfully I do not have to use FCC often.

That said, the service they provide from Kings cross to Peterborough and Cambridge isnt that bad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so then... how are we looking for tomorrow then, trains ok up to London?

the following is the current state of play on Southern... what on earth does it mean?

As a result of landslip near Dorking, there is no direct route available between Victoria and Gatwick Airport.
Instead, Southern is operating a service between London Victoria and East Grinstead with onward bus connections for Gatwick Airport.

why stop services on Brighton mainline because of an issue at Dorking ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here