Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains To Falmer On Matchdays (Possibly new info)

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
This may or may not be new information, but I have seen on other threads people saying that the exisiting time table may remain. Just got this reply from a memeber of Southern staff on their customer forum:
We have been in discussions with Brighton Football Club, local authorities and emergency services regarding the provision of services before and after each match. As a result of these discussions, we have a number of plans in place to cater for the additional demand which include extra services and strenghening of existing trains. Plans are still being finalised and will be advertised in due course.

May stop people from worrying as much about public transport back.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"extra services" could simply mean additional bus replacement services from Brighton to Falmer and Lewes to Falmer and the return journey afterwards.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Will there be a buffet car selling McEwans and dodgy bacon sarnies like in the old days?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Strengthen trains? So at least we know now how a certain female pair from the supporters club are getting to the AMEX.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
5.jpg

A recent trial of greater capacity.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Didnt Lord B say extra trains was not possible nor was having trains with more carriages so will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I think it was only the service from Lewes that can't be lengthened, but that's just one service per hour. There are 4 others. Two come from Seaford, one from Ore and one from Ashford which doesn't normally stop at Falmer. The Ashford service will be replaced with a longer train en route and make an additional stop at Falmer.

There's no technical reason the Ore service can't be lengthened to my knowledge. I don't know about the Seaford services.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Don't shoot me for this because I don't know the working of the door controls on modern trains but, in the past if a train was too long for the length of platform it would stop halfway , people could get off then it would move up so the rest could follow. Expect H&S has stoppped this now. Common sense never was a strong point nowadays.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Ashford trains cannot be longer than two carrages apparently due to weak tracks between hasting and ashford, i think its bollocks tho tbh

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Don't shoot me for this because I don't know the working of the door controls on modern trains but, in the past if a train was too long for the length of platform it would stop halfway , people could get off then it would move up so the rest could follow. Expect H&S has stoppped this now. Common sense never was a strong point nowadays.

On Southerns current stock you can walk the length of the train. The doors can be opened to the platform length, with the remaining ones closed off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely the simple answer would be if a 6 carriage train stops on a 4 carriage platform, carriages 1 and 6 stop out of the platform area and the doors remained locked so that passengers disembark via carriages 2 - 5. Or is there a reason this cant happen, that a layman like me wouldnt know of.

This may or may not be new information, but I have seen on other threads people saying that the exisiting time table may remain. Just got this reply from a memeber of Southern staff on their customer forum:

May stop people from worrying as much about public transport back.

This is more or less what was said by Martin Perry on the Albion Roar months ago.
If, and when, details of the proposed timetable and actual available train capacities (ie less the passengers that use the services already) are published then perhaps the 6,000 or so fans who said they intend to use the Brighton-Lewes train to get to the Amex and home will then be able to work out which service suits them best.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Surely the simple answer would be if a 6 carriage train ona 4 carriage platform carriages 1 and 6 stop out of the platform area and the doors remained locked so that passengers disembark via carriages 2 - 5. Or is there a reason rhis cant happen, that a layman like me wouldnt know of.

Can't happen. The driver would be beyond the platform signal and would trigger a red light. But carriage 1-4 could be unlocked with 5-6 locked

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ashford trains cannot be longer than two carrages apparently due to weak tracks between hasting and ashford, i think its bollocks tho tbh

Maybe they could add some more coaches when the train gets to Hastings...then it would be long enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here