Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trains. Not a full match day service?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seem to be far fewer trains on planner today. Have just jumped on a 28 bus instead. Club site match feature just redirects you to Southern website

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would have though, given you commute at times, you might have realised on a Sunday there are always less trains

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I would have though, given you commute at times, you might have realised on a Sunday there are always less trains
Given you go to football matches on Sunday I thought you might realise there’s normally a full match day service from Brighton, even on Sundays. :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Given you go to football matches on Sunday I thought you might realise there’s normally a full match day service from Brighton, even on Sundays. :shrug:
I always drive on Sunday games as far less trains (unless an away game)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
EB3C4378-7191-4BE6-B40B-88D70348DE45.jpeg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Got to Brighton station at 12:20 and wasn’t on the platform until 13:00! Managed to squeeze on the 13:05 but definitely not a “full matchday service”

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The timetable today was showing a Brighton-Falmer service of three trains an hour before and after the game. Which is nowhere near a full match day service. It's probably nearer 50% of same. A good day to give the trains a swerve

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The timetable today was showing a Brighton-Falmer service of three trains an hour before and after the game. Which is nowhere near a full match day service. It's probably nearer 50% of same. A good day to give the trains a swerve
Yep, I did. Club website didn’t say there would a full service (as I think it usually does) but said ‘check the planner’. I did, it was shit, so I drove

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah exactly. Took us two and a half hours to get the six or so miles home afterwards

Jul 7, 2003
They pulled two services this afternoon - I arrived into Brighton around 12:05 and joined the queue. At that point there was a delayed Eastbourne Service showing for 12:20 and the next one for 12:30. Those then disappeared from the board and the National Rail app with the next one being a 12:40 to Lewes.

An 8 carriage train pulled into platform 7 but they said we couldn't get on that and then the 12:40 came in with only 4 carriages.

Listening on to the radios the staff had, it seemed like there may have been a signalling issue. At one point the 12:30 Eastbourne train was showing as leaving from platform 6 and then people on radios were saying that they couldn't put football trains on that platform. All in all, just another classic day of railway cockups.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s always terrible on a Sunday game.. which if we make Europe, good luck everyone..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It’s always terrible on a Sunday game.. which if we make Europe, good luck everyone..
Coastway West is. Have long since given up doing that bit by train even on a Saturday. Bus into town or lift from a mate to Brighton every time.

Leicester was fine Brighton - Falmer - Brighton and that was a Sunday. That's the line I was talking about.

Today left WSL after a pint and the highlights to see a queue that was way past the "no alcohol" line. Initially went to the front of Falmer Station to get a 25 but there was a queue that wasn't in any way organised, drivers pulling up to different places on the stop and people who'd got on earlier which contributed to a fairly terrifying crush for each bus.

With such a lack of parking at the ground and the park and ride buses getting smaller and less frequent, there simply has to be a good train and bus service on a Sunday. We're not living in mid Wales in the 1970s.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Its the same ole issue not enough trains and those that operate not enough carrages. Many fans cant drive and train travel is the clubs preferred travel option for fans.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm trying to advise Fulham fans (some with young kids) wanting advice about travel on the 18th. Are the trains on Coastway West and East really rammed and what's the wait time at Brighton Station like on a Saturday please? Ta.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm trying to advise Fulham fans (some with young kids) wanting advice about travel on the 18th. Are the trains on Coastway West and East really rammed and what's the wait time at Brighton Station like on a Saturday please? Ta.
Unless you're getting on before Worthing, the Coastway West trains are a write-off. I think they're down to 2 an hour on Saturdays, and nearly always 4 carriages. I've tried getting on at Portslade, but basially the doors open and people are nearly falling out. Pretty much impossible to get on (and very unpleasant if you do, even if it is a short journey). I've given up on the Coastway "service", its become unusable.

Brighton Station is usually ok once you get there, although I always make sure I'm there at least 90 mins before kickoff. You always have to factor in that its SASTA though, so a complete clusterfuck is never far away.

Jul 7, 2003
Yesterday, the Chichester to Brighton service going to the match was eight coaches - maybe because they were not running trains all the way through to Portsmouth and Southampton. Train back after at 18:30 was only four though and pretty full through to Worthing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Coastway West is. Have long since given up doing that bit by train even on a Saturday. Bus into town or lift from a mate to Brighton every time.

Leicester was fine Brighton - Falmer - Brighton and that was a Sunday. That's the line I was talking about.

Today left WSL after a pint and the highlights to see a queue that was way past the "no alcohol" line. Initially went to the front of Falmer Station to get a 25 but there was a queue that wasn't in any way organised, drivers pulling up to different places on the stop and people who'd got on earlier which contributed to a fairly terrifying crush for each bus.

With such a lack of parking at the ground and the park and ride buses getting smaller and less frequent, there simply has to be a good train and bus service on a Sunday. We're not living in mid Wales in the 1970s.
I left on the final whistle from WSU and made a dash for the Brighton-bound queue, which when I got there was snaking a good 50 yards back from where the barriers start (and loads of scrotes walking past the back of the queue and sniding in further down). Stood there for a good half an hour before a train finally turned up. Then got to the platform for another 15-20 minutes wait before the next one rolled in. I didn't really clock what time the game finished (around 3.20 ?) but the train got to Brighton at 4.20, so around an hour after the final whistle.

Its been worse, in fairness. By 4.40 I was in The Sussex watching the Wrexham game and ordering a dirty burger.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Depends where they board, best to get a London one change at Hove as far more room

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There was a unit failure I think in the late morning, so I think that caused some problem. It wasn’t a FULL matchday service, there was 5 trains per hour not 6 trains per hour as there would be on a Saturday. Various factors as why there couldn’t be a full one, that I can’t be bothered to type out. It’s been worse, it’s been better. I think on other threads I’ve explained the Coastway west problems, until the Dft invest in new stock that isn’t going to get any better sadly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here