Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trains for the Burnley game on Saturday

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Was there a boozer you didn’t check out and how were the 14 pints?
Yeah I swerved that brew pub that was the Gloucester, don't think I've ever had a good beer in there and it's bloody expensive. I did pop my head around the door of the Basketmakers though. That was actually quite busy but I caught the end of the lunch time rush.

On Basketmakers/Fullers/Dark Star......Dark Star APA now with a subtle rebranding to Dark Star American Pale Ale is f***ing horrible now. Tastes like John Smiths. I expect that is why Downlands have done Revival (which was on in the Evening Star).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Who'd have thought we'd be getting excited about a home game against Burnley in December?

Although, that 2-2 back in 2016 was one of the best games I think 've watched at the Amex in terms of pure competitiveness and excitement. Kayal and Barton may as well have just had a fight in the centre circle while a game of football was being played around them for 90 minutes - brilliant stuff.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The EDF P&R has been consistently excellent. It is run by a dog in a High Vis jacket and has worked a treat every time I have used it. Even the return service queues move swiftly.

On Wednesday before the match if you weren't in the first tranche of buses leaving the site there was a long queue and wait. The buses all got snarled up in traffic on A27.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Yes just none are stopping at Preston Park, Hassocks, Burgess Hill and Wivelsfield.
Strange that one there will be many fans affected by that. When willwe ever have a rail service that actually serves like er the whole network LA to Falmer to Ore to London for starters be good

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Strange that one there will be many fans affected by that. When willwe ever have a rail service that actually serves like er the whole network LA to Falmer to Ore to London for starters be good
We can argue to the cows come home as to whether the system should be nationalised or privatised, as the politicos always will, depending on their individual stance. But in my many decades of life, I only ever recall problem after problem with the running of the trains, and can only put it down to poor management and a could-not-care less attitude by many staff. Though in fairness the running of the trains from Hastings and back to the Amex on a Saturday (remember those days?!) has actually been not bad (many others do not have good experiences, i know) it is rare that the on board supervisor comes to check tickets, even when the train is largely empty before it fills up at Eastbourne. I recall a fan telling me that he had not paid a fare for years.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We can argue to the cows come home as to whether the system should be nationalised or privatised, as the politicos always will, depending on their individual stance. But in my many decades of life, I only ever recall problem after problem with the running of the trains, and can only put it down to poor management and a could-not-care less attitude by many staff. Though in fairness the running of the trains from Hastings and back to the Amex on a Saturday (remember those days?!) has actually been not bad (many others do not have good experiences, i know) it is rare that the on board supervisor comes to check tickets, even when the train is largely empty before it fills up at Eastbourne. I recall a fan telling me that he had not paid a fare for years.
I'd put it down to a fragmented network to be honest. Nationalisation won't solve the problems, but having the infrastructure, rolling stock, stations owned by different people, then having different companies manage it all doesn't make sense to me. A lot of good people who are very passionate about it, work in the railways, but in my personal experience every time you try to improve something, there is a blocker from either the DfT or another side industry that stops it all.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I don't know what you mean by that, you can't run a train from Littlehampton to Falmer, as there is Brighton station in the way, and no direct line. The same with London.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
On Wednesday before the match if you weren't in the first tranche of buses leaving the site there was a long queue and wait. The buses all got snarled up in traffic on A27.
I booked parking at the Bridge, before EDF was announced. I hadn't previously seen an evening game where EDF was in use and had assumed maybe the staff needed the car park.

The organisation at the Bridge Car Park is much improved, but there are plenty of drivers who would drive over their own grandchildren to gain a place in the exit queue. I am sure the place would empty quicker if everyone just chilled out, but there is absolutely no chance of that happening. Unless and until there is a reliable train service with sufficient capacity, getting to and from evening games, will remain hellish for those not living close enough to walk or cycle. Throwing eveyone on the roads is clearly not the answer.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I don't know what you mean by that, you can't run a train from Littlehampton to Falmer, as there is Brighton station in the way, and no direct line. The same with London.
Obvious Whats meant that fans can get to and home from Falmer with a train entire journey changing at Brighton and other obvious places like to Seaford via Lewes unless on a direct

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A not dissimilar experience with the club provided shuttle service between the Old Steine and the Amex. l waited for ages, along with probably up to a hundred others for a bus. Eventually we were forced onto a 25 like sardines to get to the ground. It took very nearly an hour to negotiate the Lewes Road as it was was rammed with traffic. Affected no doubt by a combination of the rush hour, football traffic, and the train chaos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here