Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Training Ground - Work Delayed

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I met with someone on Saturday evening who is in a position to know this sort of info, and he informed me that breeding newts have been found on the mash Barn site very recently. Because of this, all work has been put on hold until March to allow them to complete the breeding and the baby newts to leave for the summer, after which work will re-commence.

I've not see this mentioned elsewhere. Can anyone 'in the know' corroborate this story?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
No doubt after its dicovered they are gay newts the work will start again only to be held up yet again by a sighting of a rare form of striker who can head a crossed ball into a empty net

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
[h=2]Life cycle[/h]Adult Smooth Newts emerge from hibernation on land from late February to May, and head to fresh water to breed. They favour ponds and shallow lakesides over running water. At this time both sexes of newt become more strikingly and colourfully marked, with vivid spots and orange bellies. The male also develops a wavy crest along the back and tail - the sexes are much easier to differentiate during the breeding season.
During courtship the male newt "displays" for his prospective mate by vibrating his tail in front of the female in a distinctive fashion. The male then deposits a sperm-containing capsule, known as a spermatophore, in front of his mate, who manoeuvres herself into a position whereby she can pick up the capsule with her cloaca - fertilization occurring inside the female. The female, thus fertilized, after a few days starts to lay eggs individually, usually under aquatic plant leaves at a rate of 7 to 12 eggs per day. Altogether, a total of 400 eggs may be produced over the season.

A well advanced larval newt, with feathery gills​

After two to three weeks (depending on water temperature), the eggs hatch to a larval form - a tadpole. For a few days the tadpoles live off the food reserves contained within their yolk sacs (left over from the egg stage). After this they start to eat freshwater plankton, and later insect larvae, molluscs and similar food (unlike frog tadpoles, newts are carnivorous throughout their life).
The newt tadpoles look initially like small fish fry, but later become more similar to miniature adults, but with "feathery" external gills emerging from behind the head on either side. As the tadpoles mature they develop legs (front first), and the growth and use of their lungs is matched by a gradual shrinkage of the gills. Thus the tadpole gradually shifts from being fully aquatic to possessing a body suitable for a mostly terrestrial existence, a tadpole typically leaving the water after ten weeks.
Some tadpoles however may overwinter in the larval state, only emerging from the water the following year.[SUP][3][/SUP] Smooth Newts take around three years to become sexually mature, on average living for six years. Most adult and juvenile newts hibernate over winter in moist sheltered areas above ground, emerging in the spring.

Duff gen from sauce then!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I heard last week that contractors working for the Albion were onsite in November, cutting back trees etc on Mash Barn Lane. Resident locals came and challenged them to show legal rights/permits. They couldn't be produced so the work stopped!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where does the saying, 'pissed as a newt' derive from ?
Lets get this thread on a serious footing.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
pissed as newts , comes from the good old days where there were proffesional mourners , who were paid to wander around from funeral to funeral toasting the billy no mated deceased , nice work if you could get it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I heard last week that contractors working for the Albion were onsite in November, cutting back trees etc on Mash Barn Lane. Resident locals came and challenged them to show legal rights/permits. They couldn't be produced so the work stopped!
If that was the case surely the necessary documents would have bee produced by now so work would have restarted.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That still doesn't explain the use of the word newt though, Jan.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
pissed as newts , comes from the good old days where there were proffesional mourners , who were paid to wander around from funeral to funeral toasting the billy no mated deceased , nice work if you could get it

I just read that on ASK search but I can't go with that, sorry.
What about the side to side gait a newt displays when walking ? Read that as well.
Do they walk side to side ? Maybe if they drink a lot I suppose.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Newts drinking wouldn't be allowed, by the Drinking, Wildlife, Countryside no fun Police.

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
That still doesn't explain the use of the word newt though, Jan.

well i can only think that after a few funerals they would start to walk like a newt , i cant say i have ever seen a newt walk in the flesh but heres a clip which may explain the newt theory

[yt]_xgrhD6hWXQ[/yt]

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So pissed, he/she decided to end it all. :down: As a side note shorter tails would make walking easier. Bad design, and they drop off anyway.( Tails not newts.)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Newts don't breed in December do they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here