Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Training Ground Injury

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I just find it strange that we suffer a very high amount of hamstring problems, especially Buckley, who we were told that it was due to him still growing in the early day and not the pitches.
Why don't players like Zaha, Bolasie suffer at the same rate?

They aren't training on a pitch only slightly better than you'd find in your local recreation ground I imagine.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
They aren't training on a pitch only slightly better than you'd find in your local recreation ground I imagine.

We were training at the Uni all the time we were at Withdean which was also a pitch we had put in after the first season.
I can't remember the level of hamstring problems when we were playing there as we are having now.
Perhaps we should be asking question's about the Amex pitch.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We were training at the Uni all the time we were at Withdean which was also a pitch we had put in after the first season.
I can't remember the level of hamstring problems when we were playing there as we are having now.
Perhaps we should be asking question's about the Amex pitch.

I'd suggest the difference in quality between Withdean and the uni pitches, was a lot less than Amex and uni pitch.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I'd suggest the difference in quality between Withdean and the uni pitches, was a lot less than Amex and uni pitch.

Well then I would question the Amex if we keep getting high injury levels wouldn't you.
We played some really good football at the Withdean so that can't be an issue can it?

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Going to sound mental, but why don't we make the pitch at the Amex slightly worse to prevent this? I understand the need for a perfect pitch for passing etc but they coped ok on a withdean type pitch.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well then I would question the Amex if we keep getting high injury levels wouldn't you.
We played some really good football at the Withdean so that can't be an issue can it?

Maybe we should move back to Withdean until we get better training facilities.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Maybe we should move back to Withdean until we get better training facilities.

Now that is just plain stupid talk.
How about we get the contractor who recommended and sold us the pitch, to discuss the fact of the high injury levels of the players since we moved here?
And then deal with the issues in the summer.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Since a club plays half its game on its home pitch, it makes sense to have training ground pitches that are as similar as possible.

Which is why the new training ground will have pitches identical to the one at the Amex. And Blackpool, presumably, train on the beach.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Another daft excuse from Poyet...excuses which are beginning to wear thin
Sorry, but this got me. His excuses for only being 6th in the Championship are all perfectly valid. We don't have a huge budget - we can't pay massive wages like the clubs around us can.

There are teams with worse training facilities than ourselves.
Not many I'd imagine. Plus, that doesn't mean ours aren't worth complaining about. Challenging to get to the premier league whilst having to ring around to get a pitch in wet weather must start to wear thin after a while.

I didn't say the championship.
Did you mean Sunday league as well then?

Fitness is fitness no matter what level of professional football you play at.
It's not though is it? It's just not.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Since a club plays half its game on its home pitch, it makes sense to have training ground pitches that are as similar as possible.

Which is why the new training ground will have pitches identical to the one at the Amex. And Blackpool, presumably, train on the beach.
What would be interesting to know is, how many of these Hamstring /Muscle strain injuries over the last two seasons have happened at the Amex v The same type injuries to our players away from home.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What would be interesting to know is, how many of these Hamstring /Muscle strain injuries over the last two seasons have happened at the Amex v The same type injuries to our players away from home.

Its more to do with the change of surface, the fact they get injured at the Amex doesn't mean anything, the problem is their body hasn't adapted from a very hard or boggy surface, to a 'cleaner' one. We have had a horrific winter which has taken its toll on unkept pitches. Just look at local football.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Now that is just plain stupid talk.
How about we get the contractor who recommended and sold us the pitch, to discuss the fact of the high injury levels of the players since we moved here?
And then deal with the issues in the summer.

So drop the quality down is basically what you mean, to that of the quality of Withdean or our training pitches.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So drop the quality down is basically what you mean, to that of the quality of Withdean or our training pitches.

What I am saying is that I believe the pitch we had put in was a new system and maybe, just maybe, it is not as good as it was meant to be.
Also if it is the pitch at the Amex is causing the injuries, are we not in danger of increasing the risk by 4 training days, if we have the same put into the training ground. That's what I am saying.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Another daft excuse from Poyet...excuses which are beginning to wear thin. There are teams with worse training facilities than ourselves.

Excuse??

where?

A professional football manager talking about football training in a professional way and at the highest level.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
As somebody else mentioned, why can't they install a couple of the new pitches at the new training ground in time for next season? Surely a pitch or two could be installed, with the majority of the building work taking place alongside these?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have to say that whenever we played at the University pitches, i found it hard to display my full range of sublime skills :blush:

I'm sure Papajaff would agree

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Didn't Gus have to "manage" kaz's playing time when we first got him on loan because of his hamstrings?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here