Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Train travel during strike action.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With the continued disruption to UK train travel how are NSC users finding their daily travel situation. We have to use AWC and then either G/E or Southern when returning to and from Sussex. When you look online at those operating companies it's only really telling you just keep checking.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With the continued disruption to UK train travel how are NSC users finding their daily travel situation. We have to use AWC and then either G/E or Southern when returning to and from Sussex. When you look online at those operating companies it's only really telling you just keep checking.
Precisely. No help at all and confusing messages regarding a strike, an overtime ban, emergency engineering works and anything else to confuse us.

Is my train running? Timetable says yes but has it been updated with the above?Probably not.

How can I find out if my train is running on Sunday?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
In my experience of commuting to work within Sussex by rail :

Overtime ban days - no real problem.
RMT strike days - ok in morning, afternoon and early evening but don't leave it late.
Aslef strike days - total shut down.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
National Rail was pretty good / accurate yesterday and hope it’s the same tomorrow

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
starting to get to the stage where it’s not striking, but more like liking a reduced working week

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Precisely. No help at all and confusing messages regarding a strike, an overtime ban, emergency engineering works and anything else to confuse us.

Is my train running? Timetable says yes but has it been updated with the above?Probably not.

I hate to come over all @jackalbion on you but you need realtimetrains.com

We’re set up in the UK post covid to work from home in the main. The rail unions are therefore targeting leisure time and any national event seems to give rail workers a disproportionate level of sniffles. But, still, when it does work it works well and you can read / work / drink on the journey which you can’t when you’re driving

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I have to be honest, I work in the timetabling department, and I had to ask 4 times what service is running this weekend. I can get into the semantics of why there’s so many different kind of timetables, but I’d be writing a 20,000 word post.

It’s an overtime ban, so it’s basically same service hours, but with a reduced frequency. (1 an hour Littlehampton to Victoria for example) should be able to get anywhere on southern (don’t know what other operators are running).

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
In Paris today at Lopalooza with daughter watching stray kids. Would have got train to Eurostar this morning, but hired a drive next to Morden tube station. Worked a treat and cheaper than train. Allowing people to find alternatives…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here