Train Question about Reservations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
For Villa...

I was going to book the 09.49 outward, and 18.46 return as a number of mates have but when I come to pay it says

No Reservation was possible, please search again

I'm pretty sure this means one of the two trains is sold out, and by trying all sorts of combinations the sold out one is 09.49. The 18.46 is ok at the moment.

SO, I can buy the 10.19 and 18.46. Would I get away with travelling on the "wrong" train for the Euston to Brum bit (the 09.49) or will I pick up another hefty fine?

Having said all that not even 100% if the game is on the Saturday, it would be nice if someone could take 5 minutes to decide and confirm it!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on the way back, should there be enough space for a conductor to check, you just say the police told you to get on the train. the staff/barriers at either end wont care much.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
For Villa...

I was going to book the 09.49 outward, and 18.46 return as a number of mates have but when I come to pay it says

I'm pretty sure this means one of the two trains is sold out, and by trying all sorts of combinations the sold out one is 09.49. The 18.46 is ok at the moment.

SO, I can buy the 10.19 and 18.46. Would I get away with travelling on the "wrong" train for the Euston to Brum bit (the 09.49) or will I pick up another hefty fine?

Having said all that not even 100% if the game is on the Saturday, it would be nice if someone could take 5 minutes to decide and confirm it!!

Very unlikely that you'd get away with travelling on the 09:49 if you're booked on the 10:19. If it was a quieter day then just maybe, but with all trains likely to be sold out I should imagine they'll be quite hot on making sure the right people catch the right train.

And as for it being 100% Saturday @ 3pm, I'm still not convinced. The Villa site may say so, but ours doesn't. Interestingly enough, the Palace website 'confirms' a 3pm KO on the Saturday at Wolves, but the Wolves site has no mention of it. I's be amazed if something isn't going on behind the scenes as I can't seriously believe that they will let both sets of fans travel on the same line on the same trains. As an example, the 18:10 that loads of us are booked onto out of Birmingham originates in........Wolverhampton.

Because of the fixture lists I don't think there is a lot of leeway (Villa play on the previous Weds and us the following Tuesday, Wolves have a game on the following Tuesday. The only option I can see is changing the Wolves game to the Friday night. Or shuffling kick offs on the Saturday (one at 1pm, one at 5pm, possibly)? Even that has it's limitations given lots of us will be making a full day of it.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
The way there is the problem.. if worst comes to worst I (+ 2 or 3 others) will just have to wait half an hour at Euston to get the later train to Brum. Just need them to book there bloody tickets too!!

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
To the thrread starter, it is like any job. Some people will do it properly whilst others are there purely to get their pay cheque at the end of the week. I've gone on different trains that I shouldn't be on many times, sometimes getting away with it and sometimes not.
On a busier day, I reckon you will be more likely to get away with it so I say take the risk.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
For Villa...

They are usually more thorough on the way up, at Euston they sometimes check your reservation at the bottom of the ramp and won't let you pass if it's wrong.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Train and station staff on other regions check tickets much more thoroughly than Southern staff do,so you are more than likely to pick up a hefty fine/penalty charge.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
If it was your return journey especially being a Saturday night when most ticket inspectors seem to vanish you'd have a fair chance.

They're strict on these matters but you do get a few kind ones now and again who do understand exceptional circumstances.It's a big risk though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports