*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think anyone (or at least very few people) blame Southern for problems when there are genuine acts of nature like yesterday but anyone connected to Southern don't seem to appreciate that by default a train should leave on time and arrive on time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Take a look at the causes and then add in the amount of trains operated compared to other companies. If you run more services, then your figures are bound to be lower as there is more chance of delay.

FFS. This is why they use %s and averages. More services will give you a more accurate reflection of the performance level not skew the data as you suggest.

UK railway compared to all comporable nations across Europe are absolutely woeful and much much more expensive. There was a Which (I think) survey recently which was shocking, totally shocking. You are either wet behind the ears, or a total idiot, if you think UK rail is anything other than total crap and not fit for service.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The service was definitely back to normal this morning because at 7.13 the stock to form the 7.14 Gatwick Express still hadn't arrived but the stock to form the 7.29 had been sitting there for ages. This appears to be a constant. Perhaps it's all part of a master plan.

Stock which forms the 7.14 service forms a service from Victoria which ran late for some reason this morning. 7.29 stock comes empty from a depot, so is more often than not going to be on time.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
unfortunately working in London means no choice but trains. What I earn, could not match locally. Plus not willong to move away from where I grew up.

if you want to happy clap and be some sort of cheerleader for the train companies, you be my guest.

Which ever way you look at it you chose your path in life which includes commuting by train, As for you thinking I'm some kind of cheerleader for the train companies your completely wrong on that one. I may have spent my whole working life on the Railway but I'm certainly no rail apologist, A rail realist maybe but not an apologist.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone submitting delay repay with their season ticket ?

Train season ticket? Yes I have, and do on a weekly basis!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i meant Football season ticket

No. Your contract would be with the club, not Southern, and the club don't operate a delay repay system.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I fail to se why people get themselves so worked up about train problems. What can you do? Calm down and let the time pass. You get compo for the delay. It's an antiquated system that has too many passengers and incompetent bosses. What did you think would happen? You want to get a different job and or chill before you have a heart attack. You wanted the job in the city and the money. Deal with it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I fail to se why people get themselves so worked up about train problems. What can you do? Calm down and let the time pass. You get compo for the delay. It's an antiquated system that has too many passengers and incompetent bosses. What did you think would happen? You want to get a different job and or chill before you have a heart attack. You wanted the job in the city and the money. Deal with it.

HAHA You dickhead

Anyway , more storms thur and weekend.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
HAHA You dickhead

Anyway , more storms thur and weekend.

Oh sorry, something you don't like? I travel on trains ALL over the shop, London included. If there is a delay, there's a delay. You gotta be some kind of self important fool to let it consume your life. The world won't stop revolving on it's axis cos you didn't get to work on time. One day this will all be behind you and you will regret the amount of time you wasted getting wound up about stuff you can't do anything about. Dickhead.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Always makes me chuckle when THOUSANDS of fans or commuters are stood around on platforms wondering why trains don't run on time. Gee, I wonder.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Always makes me chuckle when THOUSANDS of fans or commuters are stood around on platforms wondering why trains don't run on time. Gee, I wonder.

Yes because there is loads of room on the roads of the South East should commuters abandon the train.

Very Zen of you but probably the right answer.

I love trains, worked for them for a few years around the public/private changeover time (shift work wasn't for me though) and as far as I can remember commuters have always moaned (justifiably in many cases) since well before privitisation - I am talking experience of the mid/late '70's pre electric Hastings Line as my reference. Fortunately have never had to commute but do like a nice train ride.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yes because there is loads of room on the roads of the South East should commuters abandon the train.

Well you're just illustrating my point. Too many people using outdated and insufficient infrastructure on a small island. It's only going to get worse. My point is figure out a solution or get on with it as it is. "Mur, mur, mur, I didn't get to the exact place I wanted to be at the exact time I wanted to be there". If you're job was that crucial to everyone pal, you'd be driving in a vehicle with sirens.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Oh sorry, something you don't like? I travel on trains ALL over the shop, London included. If there is a delay, there's a delay. You gotta be some kind of self important fool to let it consume your life. The world won't stop revolving on it's axis cos you didn't get to work on time. One day this will all be behind you and you will regret the amount of time you wasted getting wound up about stuff you can't do anything about. Dickhead.

1, I doubt everyone chooses to work in London , some industries this is where most the work is and we dont all end up working in what we dreamed of as a kid.

2, Not every job in London is amazing money

3, Not always easy to just not worry about it when job security is a real issue and people have ******** bosses.

Tip of the iceberg stuff to your first comment though. Naive to say the least

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
1, I doubt everyone chooses to work in London , some industries this is where most the work is and we dont all end up working in what we dreamed of as a kid.

2, Not every job in London is amazing money

3, Not always easy to just not worry about it when job security is a real issue and people have ******** bosses.

Tip of the iceberg stuff to your first comment though. Naive to say the least

Oh right, well in that case bore the people in your life into a coma with your prattling on about crap rail systems.

People may want it to improve. Well as my dear departed Nanna Nibbles used to say "Want into one hand, cr@p into the other and see which one fills up first".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports