Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

Yoda

English & European
Every train I finally caught tonight caused a delay of at least 10 minutes.

Worthing to Brighton - 10 minutes late
Brighton to Falmer - 20 minutes late (last one that would normally arrive just before kick off)
Falmer to Brighton - 10 minutes late
Brighton to Worthing - Cancelled (Also last train beyond West Worthing for the night) and the train after left 5 minutes late too.

More milking by Southern for extra compensation from Network Rail? ???

Cynical? Me? ;)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
After my usual complaints, I have to give credit where credit is due, and the guys who did the work to fix the Patcham flooding issue did a fine job. I really thought the line would be out all week, but everything ran normally today - in fact, better, we were on time.

What time train did you get Tricky ?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Back to normal today. Crawling up the line at least 7-8 minutes late with some distance to go. No explanation or apology from onboard guard. Usual contempt for customers I guess from Southern trains.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Back to normal today. Crawling up the line at least 7-8 minutes late with some distance to go. No explanation or apology from onboard guard. Usual contempt for customers I guess from Southern trains.

Do you ever stop moaning? It's your choice to commute by train nobody is forcing you.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
06:22 from Shoreham, my usual one. all running fine, I saw no problems.[/QUOTE

Thats the London Bridge one ? My normal that i get from Brighton which meets that at HH.. i told work that it still has problems as i fancied a day WFH

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Do you ever stop moaning? It's your choice to commute by train nobody is forcing you.

unfortunately working in London means no choice but trains. What I earn, could not match locally. Plus not willong to move away from where I grew up.

if you want to happy clap and be some sort of cheerleader for the train companies, you be my guest.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Why don't Southern (or indeed any other TOC) just announce timetables that they are confident of keeping to?

For example my morning train should get into LB at 0811 but is generally ten minutes late, so why don't they just timetable it to arrive later at it's terminus and treat it as a bonus if it arrives earlier?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Why don't Southern (or indeed any other TOC) just announce timetables that they are confident of keeping to?

For example my morning train should get into LB at 0811 but is generally ten minutes late, so why don't they just timetable it to arrive later at it's terminus and treat it as a bonus if it arrives earlier?

Well they could just halve the number of trains they attempt to run. It would mean every single train was full and standing and there wouldn't be enough capacity for everyone. It's the sheer number of services they attempt to run that means that every naughty signal, every punter who holds the door open for a few seconds etc causes these knock on delays. The railway down here is simply too popular and too congested.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Well they could just halve the number of trains they attempt to run. It would mean every single train was full and standing and there wouldn't be enough capacity for everyone. It's the sheer number of services they attempt to run that means that every naughty signal, every punter who holds the door open for a few seconds etc causes these knock on delays. The railway down here is simply too popular and too congested.

Absolutely (trains are noticeably quicker when less busy) but at the moment the publish a timetable they have little or no chance of following so why not get a bit more realistic?

I used to catch a train from Clapham Junction to Woking that was invariably late, so why not timetable it later and let everyone get a coffee?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
06:22 from Shoreham, my usual one. all running fine, I saw no problems.[/QUOTE

Thats the London Bridge one ? My normal that i get from Brighton which meets that at HH.. i told work that it still has problems as i fancied a day WFH

Yup, that's the one where we sit at HH for 10 mins to wait for you lot. Couldn't afford any more WFH days, had so many lately (not all the trains fault, but a lot of them were)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I get that same train, I cant remember the last time it arrived on time.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Every train I finally caught tonight caused a delay of at least 10 minutes.

Worthing to Brighton - 10 minutes late
Brighton to Falmer - 20 minutes late (last one that would normally arrive just before kick off)
Falmer to Brighton - 10 minutes late
Brighton to Worthing - Cancelled (Also last train beyond West Worthing for the night) and the train after left 5 minutes late too.

More milking by Southern for extra compensation from Network Rail? ???

Cynical? Me? ;)

The London mainline was closed until late morning so when the tunnel reopened all the rolling stock was all over the place. Personally I think they did damned well to put on the service they did.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I get that same train, I cant remember the last time it arrived on time.

Gets near to it in the Summer.

Not that a couple of minutes is going to kill anyone but on an average day, they should be on time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The service was definitely back to normal this morning because at 7.13 the stock to form the 7.14 Gatwick Express still hadn't arrived but the stock to form the 7.29 had been sitting there for ages. This appears to be a constant. Perhaps it's all part of a master plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here