Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*TRAIN NEWS* Brighton main line closed tomorrow

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Neither National Rail or Southern updated to reflect these changes. Shambles.

So what should I do, if I need to get to London for about 8.30am, from Worthing?

The way I understand it, all the London bound trains, are starting at Littlehampton and going up the Arun Valley, so not going anywhere near Worthing? Meaning I'd need to get a train to Littlehampton, and then a London train?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Neither National Rail or Southern updated to reflect these changes. Shambles.

So what should I do, if I need to get to London for about 8.30am, from Worthing?

The way I understand it, all the London bound trains, are starting at Littlehampton and going up the Arun Valley, so not going anywhere near Worthing? Meaning I'd need to get a train to Littlehampton, and then a London train?

It takes time to update the system you know, pretty sure each service needs to be entered 1 by 1. Its pretty much the entire Southern service in the South which is being altered - its going to take time. Best advice is to WFH. Via Littlehampton will be the best option if you do need to travel.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It takes time to update the system you know, pretty sure each service needs to be entered 1 by 1. Its pretty much the entire Southern service in the South which is being altered - its going to take time. Best advice is to WFH. Via Littlehampton will be the best option if you do need to travel.

I'd imagine timetables are loaded in by some machine readable format, rather than manually entered, but either way not great, especially with how unclear the website text is.

You are right, WFH is best option, but I need to train to Manchester and back on Wednesday, which sounds like its going to be a VERY long day.

You dont need more rain for groundwater levels to rise - its at a record level now at Patcham.
I blame whoever it was who, in 1793, decided to put the Wellesbourne River into a culvert, rather than let it flow naturally into the sea - along London Road, Victoria Gardens and the Old Steine.

Probably some lackey of King George III.

Without that boneheaded decision, we'd have an unflooded railway at Patcham, albeit with regular inundations in the City Centre.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
You will be fine, Vic to Eastbourne services running as normal then change at Lewes, time for a pie too

Ernest, so to clarify... I need to get to Victoria from HH and normaly get the 06:51 G.Ex. What are my options??

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I blame whoever it was who, in 1793, decided to put the Wellesbourne River into a culvert, rather than let it flow naturally into the sea - along London Road, Victoria Gardens and the Old Steine.

Probably some lackey of King George III.

Without that boneheaded decision, we'd have an unflooded railway at Patcham, albeit with regular inundations in the City Centre.

*******s !!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'd imagine timetables are loaded in by some machine readable format, rather than manually entered, but either way not great, especially with how unclear the website text is.

You are right, WFH is best option, but I need to train to Manchester and back on Wednesday, which sounds like its going to be a VERY long day.

Weather is meant to improve, hopefully it might drain away.

The water on the line has already screwed over a few signals and it is apparently fast moving along the lines, so running trains over such conditions could be dangerous - especially as there is enough landslides at the moment.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
P&R buses will be fine tomorrow, the club already have them booked and the companies must honour this.

You cannot to anything to prevent this, groundwater is flooding lots of the country - i suppose half the country is a f**king joke for grinding to a halt then in flooding ?

You dont need more rain for groundwater levels to rise - its at a record level now at Patcham.

Alright then - please detail how you could prevent this flooding. I ask again as you failed to give an answer yesterday.

Also, third-world ? Really ? I assume Sudan have a better train service than us then - somehow i doubt that :facepalm:

How about this? Patcham was identified as a problem area many years ago. Maybe sorting out a pump or 2 sometime during the last 50 years may have helped.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
P&R buses will be fine tomorrow, the club already have them booked and the companies must honour this.

You cannot to anything to prevent this, groundwater is flooding lots of the country - i suppose half the country is a f**king joke for grinding to a halt then in flooding ?

Alright then - please detail how you could prevent this flooding. I ask again as you failed to give an answer yesterday.

Also, third-world ? Really ? I assume Sudan have a better train service than us then - somehow i doubt that :facepalm:

I am no engineer. But clearly Network Rail have not consulted experts. Why not invest in some proper drainage?

Network Rail clearly have done nothing. A complete inept organisation run by morons who are clearly do not know what their doing.

Have used trains in the developing world, it is a much more pleasant and reliable system to the crap we have over here. Simple fact.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
How about this? Patcham was identified as a problem area many years ago. Maybe sorting out a pump or 2 sometime during the last 50 years may have helped.

Pumps have been on scene for a while apparently, only so much they can do, same with the pumps on the A23 at Patcham.

I am no engineer. But clearly Network Rail have not consulted experts. Why not invest in some proper drainage?

Network Rail clearly have done nothing. A complete inept organisation run by morons who are clearly do not know what their doing.

Have used trains in the developing world, it is a much more pleasant and reliable system to the crap we have over here. Simple fact.

Flooding at Patcham is at record levels, it has never got this high before. New drainage would cost a fortune and seeing as flooding on the scale we have see this Winter is incredibly rare (IE Sea Walls in the SW being completely washed away and half of the Thames Valley being underwater) - can it be justified ?

The rest of your "facts" are clearly made-up for your anti-UK Rail agenda which you clearly have as you have no proof to back it up.

So the Seaford trains won't be affected?

Might be delayed because of diversions, wouldnt expect more than that.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Pumps have been on scene for a while apparently, only so much they can do, same with the pumps on the A23 at Patcham.

Flooding at Patcham is at record levels, it has never got this high before. New drainage would cost a fortune and seeing as flooding on the scale we have see this Winter is incredibly rare (IE Sea Walls in the SW being completely washed away and half of the Thames Valley being underwater) - can it be justified ?

The rest of your "facts" are clearly made-up for your anti-UK Rail agenda which you clearly have as you have no proof to back it up.

So you mention costs again. Cant spend any money eh? lets carry on, on the cheap and have crap services. How much money does crap trains cost the economy I wonder. Lost productivity etc.

You cannot defend the dross we get in terms of trains in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here