Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Disruption (29/9)

It's slightly worrying that we're still under the EU average but I think I'm right in stating that we have a far more service industry driven economy than any other EU country and consequently needs less investment than a production-driven one such as Germany or Portugal. Agree with you about precarious job creation though, the national disgrace that is zero-hour contract being just about the worst abuse.

That chart is government investment though, not business investment. So it should be covering things like infrastructure (roads, trains, energy) and property (council houses, offices, etc.) rather than machinery and equipment for the private sector.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That chart is government investment though, not business investment. So it should be covering things like infrastructure (roads, trains, energy) and property (council houses, offices, etc.) rather than machinery and equipment for the private sector.

Yup, you're spot on but I did assume (maybe incorrectly) that heavy industry-driven economies would put greater strain on infrastructure and energy than a service-led one.

Yup, you're spot on but I did assume (maybe incorrectly) that heavy industry-driven economies would put greater strain on infrastructure and energy than a service-led one.

I've heard in the past (no idea if it's true) that our high population density add significant investment costs (land is more expensive, it is difficult/expensive to close infrastructure for redevelopment because it is so heavily used).

Government investment in the UK has declined under the current government - that's one of the major critiques of their economic policy (that as well as cutting current expenditure they've also cut investment when the two have entirely different aims). That was (I'm lead to believe) supposed to be one of the key planks of Labour's Conference; increasing government investment, although it didn't really come across.

Getting back onto the trains - they do suffer from underinvestment in the UK, but it's a difficult circle to square when you're trying to reduce government expenditure on rail, keep the current services running, placate land-owners and compete against other modes of transport with worse externalities but often cheaper marginal costs (cars).

It might yet. Marcel Fratzscher, head of the German Institute for Economic Research and Government adviser has a few choice things to say: crumbling economy...infrastructure becoming obsolete...companies preferring to invest abroad...loyalty to German own brands evaporating....and a damning article from Der Spiegel has this little nugget that you might find interesting:

"The German economy has shied away from investment for years. Companies have almost €500 billion stashed in savings, according to the DIW president's estimates, and yet the investment ratio in the German private economy fell from just under 21 percent in 2000 to a little more than 17 percent in 2013. Many economists conclude that companies are anxious because they are worried not just about crumbling roads, but about the lack of qualified workers, the state of the euro zone and rising energy costs. And this fear, in turn, is stymying the planning for Germany's future.

The consequences are dramatic. When adjusted for inflation, many businesses have actually decreased their spending on machinery and computers in the last decades, according to the figures from the Federal Statistical Office. This is especially true of the chemical industry, but industrial infrastructure is also crumbling in, for example, the mechanical engineering and electronics sectors. But companies haven't stopped investing altogether -- they are simply no longer investing in Germany."

24o7vrd.jpg

By the way, he's got a new book out called "Der Deutschland Illusion". It sounds like it might be right up your street.

I think we should all chip in and buy him one.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
  • The jobs miracle was achieved in large part by creating lots of part-time and “precarious” jobs.
  • Export success came not from greater productivity but from holding down wages.
  • credit for closing the budget deficit goes mainly to big tax receipts that came with high employment.

[/IMG]

Sounds familiar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here