Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train carnage at East Croydon...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Trespasser on line at Honor Oak Park means no trains to London Bridge thru East Croydon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolute bedlam. Should have run the fucker over.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Added 45 minutes to my jpourney today

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Trespasser on line at Honor Oak Park means no trains to London Bridge thru East Croydon.

We had just gone through East Croydon when we heard, so they diverted us to Victoria, which was only a minor inconvenience. I suspect if we'd been the other side of EC, they would have terminated us there and thrown us off as per usual.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We had just gone through East Croydon when we heard, so they diverted us to Victoria, which was only a minor inconvenience. I suspect if we'd been the other side of EC, they would have terminated us there and thrown us off as per usual.

I hate that when it happens, rather than run a perfectly good train to LB they terminate at East Croydon so that its on time for return journey and that they dont have to pay out even more compensation for 2 late running trains .

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I hate that when it happens, rather than run a perfectly good train to LB they terminate at East Croydon so that its on time for return journey and that they dont have to pay out even more compensation for 2 late running trains .

Absolutely. I don't know if they started it recently, but it now seems to be common occurrence. If we are more than about 10 min late by the time we get to EC, they terminate, so that the returning Brighton service isn't late as well. Even if everyone claims delay/repay I guess the fines incurred for the late second train must outweigh the compo claims. I don't know the contents of the franchise agreements, but to me deliberately not running trains to their destination really ought to be a big no-no.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Absolutely. I don't know if they started it recently, but it now seems to be common occurrence. If we are more than about 10 min late by the time we get to EC, they terminate, so that the returning Brighton service isn't late as well. Even if everyone claims delay/repay I guess the fines incurred for the late second train must outweigh the compo claims. I don't know the contents of the franchise agreements, but to me deliberately not running trains to their destination really ought to be a big no-no.

Agreed but how do we go about bringing to their attention

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You can only claim for 30 mins or more delay If a season tix holder I believe). Im sure they factor this in so when they do kick you off at EC they know that all being wll you wont be 30+ mins late as the LB service from EC is pretty good.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bastards terminated our train at EC

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Having travelled every home game from East Croydon, have to say that this appears to be a recent thing. Had it a few times in the past few months. But never before that.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

They've been doing this for years, just its more obvious sometimes. They are allowed X number of late trains and Y number of cancelled trains. If they are starting to look like they'll breach target X, they cancel trains rather than let them run late. A few years ago, Southern had a run of cancelling trains that weren't even going to make a return leg, just return to depot. Very cynical behaviour.

Only a tiny fraction of customers claim the delay repay so its always going to "pay" to p*ss off commuters rather than the regulators. [Reminds me, I have 3 from the last week to log!]

In all instances the rail franchises should be reminded that they are there to move PASSENGERS from one place to another, not empty TRAINS. Priority should be placed on busy trains not half empty ones and punishments should be dolled out according to number of passengers delayed not number of trains delayed!

SE25 Nick

Nov 30, 2012
The trespass incident happened about 7.15 this morning. I got the 7.02 from Norwood Junction (stopping train) It should have got to London Bridge about 7.30 but it was just after 8.30 when it got there. I was 45 minutes late for work.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
They do it all the time between Fareham and Southampton. Really, really irritating and there's never information at Southampton as to your alternatives.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They've been doing this for years, just its more obvious sometimes. They are allowed X number of late trains and Y number of cancelled trains. If they are starting to look like they'll breach target X, they cancel trains rather than let them run late. A few years ago, Southern had a run of cancelling trains that weren't even going to make a return leg, just return to depot. Very cynical behaviour.

Only a tiny fraction of customers claim the delay repay so its always going to "pay" to p*ss off commuters rather than the regulators. [Reminds me, I have 3 from the last week to log!]

In all instances the rail franchises should be reminded that they are there to move PASSENGERS from one place to another, not empty TRAINS. Priority should be placed on busy trains not half empty ones and punishments should be dolled out according to number of passengers delayed not number of trains delayed!

I now clain for everything I can just to inconvenience them, if nothing else, I don't really need the money. I've said.it many times, Southern seem to think they exist just to run trains along a track, customers to them are an inconvenience.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I now clain for everything I can just to inconvenience them, if nothing else, I don't really need the money. I've said.it many times, Southern seem to think they exist just to run trains along a track, customers to them are an inconvenience.

I have the same thoughts and actions as you then. Each time I claim its about £2.50 for me, but a huge overhead for them (especially as I insist on vouchers, then take them along to the station, demand cash, then buy my weekly ticket with the cash he just gave me)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here